Why FAF competitive scene is dying

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

Re: Why FAF competitve scene is dying

Postby TheKoopa » 04 Dec 2017, 20:15

Feather: I am usually pretty good in judging people's abilities, intelligence and motives

Evildrew: Just because I didnt choose you for my team last year doesnt give you the right to be all bitchy and negative about my proposal
TheKoopa
Contributor

Has liked: 172 times
Been liked: 225 times
FAF User Name: Gently-

Postby Blodir » 04 Dec 2017, 20:16

Offtopic about mapping: if you want your maps to be popular, you should be making good maps. That's why my maps aren't on level with wonder or whatever. My maps are just not that good. Farce, Regor, Dual Gap are all relatively new and yet very popular. Don't blame other people for not liking your content
Blodir
Contributor

Has liked: 489 times
Been liked: 535 times
FAF User Name: Snowbound

Postby biass » 04 Dec 2017, 20:18

Blodir wrote: Farce, Regor, Dual Gap are all relatively new and yet very popular. Don't blame other people for not liking your content

Farce and Dual Gap EP (the early ones) ARE MY CONTENT. these issues are still present regardless.
Map thread: https://bit.ly/2PBsa5H

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Has liked: 598 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: biass

Postby BenDover » 04 Dec 2017, 20:29

Do a 2v2 or 3v3 ladder and we can talk, for most casual players 1v1 is simply not entertaining. I've been playing FA since 2008 and in that time I've played maybe 3 1v1 games..
Having high rating also only hurts you in the long run, for a person playing mostly stupid maps like gap or wartime having 1800 means I'm not playing, all high rated players play maps I'm not interested in.
BenDover

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 47 times

Postby Mad`Mozart » 04 Dec 2017, 20:43

Blodir wrote:Offtopic about mapping: if you want your maps to be popular, you should be making good maps. That's why my maps aren't on level with wonder or whatever. My maps are just not that good. Farce, Regor, Dual Gap are all relatively new and yet very popular. Don't blame other people for not liking your content

Wow, this comment, so deep and constructive, i am speechless.

My issue is that people wont even have a chance to judge my content :arrow:
Mad`Mozart
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby FtXCommando » 04 Dec 2017, 21:06

A lot of the problem with global (teamgames) is the increasing alienation of players at the top ratings. There’s the 1700+ players that specialize in carrying at 1k+ rated games on the usual teamgame maps. There’s the 1700+ that purely play a single map. Then there’s the 1700+ that almost play solely 1600+ games. There’s probably like 15-25 active 1700+ players on during peak faf hours, however, you’re dividing those players between these three groups. For the last group, you end up having like 8 players you can get a game with for a 1600+ 2v2/3v3 during the weekday because of this division and so getting a high level game is basically impossible.

Not really sure if this is a problem or not or how one would go around “fixing” it anyway.
Are you upset? Are you happy? Are you a FAF Player? Come to the PC Discord and share your thoughts and build the community!

https://discord.gg/Y2dGU8X
FtXCommando
Councillor - Players

Has liked: 234 times
Been liked: 583 times
FAF User Name: FtXCommando

Re: Why FAF competitive scene is dying

Postby Petricpwnz » 04 Dec 2017, 23:54

Good points about maps and mapping. If I were to estimate, I'd say 30% of why we only get 893274 variations of astro gaps comes from how hard it's actually to map and 70% from how hard it is to make a non-astrogap map relevant. For the first problem we luckily have ozonex who seems to be very active with developing his custom editor again.
Spoiler: show
Resource Browser path to map folder pleeees *puppy eyes*
It's not even that active good mappers in place lose motivation from the lack of convenient tools, motivation for art is something that fuels you even if you know your map will die out unplayed, so I'm certain there are people out there who go and try to create a genuinely interesting map but stop due to all sorts of editor problems and go for repainting astro crater purple instead.
Second issue is worse because while I might get some games going if I create my map, just because players on higher level have less fear of playing random unknown maps, for a new player getting games on his newly created map is probably hell.
VIP mapper status is a good idea, but I'd like to hear what it entails besides sounding fancy.
Blackheart wrote:actually i love lolis and want petry to be my waifu

Scientifically proving that Blackheart is a weeb - https://imgur.com/a/J436c | https://clips.twitch.tv/AssiduousAverageOxMikeHogu

Best meme of 2017 - https://puu.sh/yLsvH/abbf54eb99.mp4
Petricpwnz
Priest

Has liked: 442 times
Been liked: 473 times
FAF User Name: Fremy_Speeddraw

Postby TheKoopa » 05 Dec 2017, 00:05

Petricpwnz wrote:Good points about maps and mapping. If I were to estimate, I'd say 30% of why we only get 893274 variations of astro gaps comes from how hard it's actually to map and 70% from how hard it is to make a non-astrogap map relevant. For the first problem we luckily have ozonex who seems to be very active with developing his custom editor again.
Resource Browser path to map folder pleeees *puppy eyes*
It's not even that active good mappers in place lose motivation from the lack of convenient tools, motivation for art is something that fuels you even if you know your map will die out unplayed, so I'm certain there are people out there who go and try to create a genuinely interesting map but stop due to all sorts of editor problems and go for repainting astro crater purple instead.
Second issue is worse because while I might get some games going if I create my map, just because players on higher level have less fear of playing random unknown maps, for a new player getting games on his newly created map is probably hell.
VIP mapper status is a good idea, but I'd like to hear what it entails besides sounding fancy.

Golden clan tags :^)
Feather: I am usually pretty good in judging people's abilities, intelligence and motives

Evildrew: Just because I didnt choose you for my team last year doesnt give you the right to be all bitchy and negative about my proposal
TheKoopa
Contributor

Has liked: 172 times
Been liked: 225 times
FAF User Name: Gently-

Postby IceDreamer » 05 Dec 2017, 03:12

A proper reply will have to wait, but I'll put down that I read the whole thing, and agree with everything said. Yes.

Everything.
IceDreamer
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 488 times

Postby biass » 05 Dec 2017, 07:20

Here is a legit proposal about bringing back some form of competition

We tie in the WWPC and the ladder together, forming the ladder into half what it was before, half a quickmatch sort of training ground that players can then take on into legitimate competition for rewards

this means either A: reforming a wwpc map pool, making the ladder just that pool, and then drawing out a legitimate bracket of a couple maps each week/biweek/month
or B: Reforming a wwpc map pool, drawing a few maps each week to go both into the map pool and also into the WWPC bracket.

In both cases, rewards should be ramped up to that of a legitimate tournament (for third and second etc) (and also tournament participant) to keep people playing, and casters will have a depth of "competitive" replays to hopefully gain from a number of different skill brackets, being able to form stories out of recurring players or watch their ascension through the brackets for their viewers.

I think this is a decent first step that is achievable with what we have now, and im happy to entirely reboot the WWPC in order to get it going, all we need is """certain people""" to get off of their asses to contribute to the responsibilities they signed up for.

And if not, then maybe it's time for someone else to take their place before FAF dies out completely.
Map thread: https://bit.ly/2PBsa5H

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Has liked: 598 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: biass

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions