Why FAF competitive scene is dying

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

Re: Why FAF competitve scene is dying

Postby Morax » 04 Dec 2017, 19:03

Also many issues raised in this thread are still relevant:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13006&hilit=Why+did+you+stop+playing&start=0

1) lack of time
2) ladder pool
3) broken features
4) lack of people caring

The 4th reason is likely the most pressing as people just don't get as much a buzz playing the game anymore.
Maps and Modifications Councilor

M&M Discord Channel

Come join us and help create content with the artists of FAF.
Morax
Councillor - Maps and Mods

Has liked: 1167 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: Morax

Postby biass » 04 Dec 2017, 19:18

I think it's worth making another comment about mapping as a scene rather then just an output. I agree with Mozart, there is currently almost:

- No reason to improve your skills beyond making trash
- No reason to spend overly long hours into a project that has a 80% chance of being disregarded instantly (i stopped spending huge amounts of time because of this)
- No reason to try something new for 1v1 because it doesn't fit the niche requirements needed for a slot in a locked down ladder pool
- No reason to make teamgame maps for a community full of scared players playing only gap/ snobby players playing wonder

I had to dump a map recently because of the editor not really cooperating with the game that i had handcrafted through all stages but i honestly don't think the editor is a reason why i don't really want to map.

The final and huge reason is the real estate on the map vault which is technically your only real way to advertise to the wider community, forum threads get a few views but not compared to opening the vault and seeing the top posts, i don't need to tell you why noone sees maps they consider good at the moment:

https://imgur.com/a/6oVVG

My immediate solution to the problem is a VIP status for mappers (and modders i assume) of a pre-defined calibre, they should be allowed to a separate vault and maybe a special avatar.
This should help out a lot of reasons:

- People will be urged to make higher quality content for a shot at being accepted for the gold status (and the rewards for doing so)
- Good maps will get the exposure they need from the special vault to be encouraged to make content (and get them played)
- Being from a gold status content creator will give the confidence in the average player to at least give the map a shot (solving issues three and 4 maybe)
- The clean advertising space happily solves issue number 5.

I'm not one to suggest something that gives me more shiny things, so i want to see what you think of it.
Map thread: https://bit.ly/2PBsa5H

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Has liked: 598 times
FAF User Name: biass

Postby Paradoxon » 04 Dec 2017, 19:23

My immediate solution to the problem is a VIP status for mappers (and modders i assume) of a pre-defined calibre, they should be allowed to a separate vault and maybe a special avatar.

I think this was also proposed in the last dev call
Paradoxon
Crusader

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 8 times

Postby biass » 04 Dec 2017, 19:25

Paradoxon wrote:

I think this was also proposed in the last dev call

Lets leave the discussion about the dev call being an inaccessible 2 hour long sleeper agent until after we discuss the mapping scene.

also backpost:

PhilipJFry wrote:mappers/modders do have an avatar already

thx, didnt know...
Last edited by biass on 04 Dec 2017, 19:41, edited 1 time in total.

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Postby PhilipJFry » 04 Dec 2017, 19:34

not the mappers/modders would get a VIP status in the suggested idea but someone who would be allowed to curate the mod/map vault
mappers/modders do have an avatar already (if we need a pro mapper/modder avatar that would be cool too)
cats>dogs
post logs
PhilipJFry
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 232 times
Been liked: 348 times
FAF User Name: PhilipJFry

Postby speed2 » 04 Dec 2017, 19:44

I guess Im not even gonna bother going into details with people losing motivation, Blodir said it quite nicely, what an irony. When you want to get better some certain individuals call you disgusting tryhard, or when you make tutorials they call it the worst cancer they've ever seen (very motivating).

Lets leave the discussion about the dev call being an inaccessible 2 hour long sleeper agent until after we discuss the mapping scene.

Sorry we tried...
if only there would be some shorter version... oh wait https://www.faforever.com/2017/11/faf-d ... 2-01102017
Code: Select all
– Map and Mod Vault Cleansing:
Duplicates that are not needed will be hidden in the future.
Featured maps could be a way to promote good maps easier.

Brutus is currently working on the tools, they should be added with the next release of the mod client. Then I can start cleansing. Next step will be adding a new tab in the map vault, which will be the default one with featured maps.
speed2
Contributor

Has liked: 636 times
Been liked: 1119 times
FAF User Name: speed2

Postby biass » 04 Dec 2017, 19:54

speed2 wrote:Sorry we tried...
if only there would be some shorter version... oh wait https://www.faforever.com/2017/11/faf-d ... 2-01102017

This happened once, out of twelve dev calls, and im pretty sure everyone was too busy laughing at this:
"Please note: This was planned and Visionik did NOT leave due to personal disagreements with the developers."

There was as is the norm no open channel for discussion about it on the forums and as is also the norm for the What's new tab, was over shadowed by whatever post came next.

As for the tools, as much as im against the idea of vault spam im not a huge fan of an elected person being able to choose what to remove on a whim without scrutiny.

Spoiler: show
We had a discussion about this one a day ago, remember? :lol: :lol: :lol:

and, there is not yet a set of rules that define what gets a map featured, which there needs to be.

biass
Contributor

Postby PhilipJFry » 04 Dec 2017, 19:56

@biass i wrote summaries of the last 3 calls if my memory doesn't trick me which got posted on the what's new site within a week after the call (rewatching the thing is time consuming)

about having someone chosen to curate: it's either that or people vote which can and will be abused -> having a curator or multiple ones is the best way to go imo
cats>dogs
post logs
PhilipJFry
Supreme Commander

Postby biass » 04 Dec 2017, 20:01

It's perfectly okay to have a chosen group to ADD according to clearly visible, preset, and openly discussable rules. but it's a different story when stuff starts getting REMOVED, even worse when the inevitable "map gets removed that was legit but the person didnt check properly" etc starts to happen and it turns into a mess.

FAF already has major underlying issues to do with it's ability to take criticism or shooting down outcry with subtle abuse and blank responses, i would love to see what happens if someone (and i could name them) got their hands on the mop and then started to scrub what they might think are stains, if you get my drift.

Here's a fun game, see how many posts in this topic you can relate to the red comment.
Last edited by biass on 04 Dec 2017, 20:10, edited 7 times in total.

biass
Contributor

Postby PhilipJFry » 04 Dec 2017, 20:03

first of all someone needs to get it to work at all then we can focus on having multiple people being able to curate
btw some people and i even made translations for the 2 calls before the last so people saying it's impossible to get info are about as annoying as those who talk shit about new maps

This happened once, out of twelve dev calls, and im pretty sure everyone was too busy laughing at this:
"Please note: This was planned and Visionik did NOT leave due to personal disagreements with the developers."

if you'd be so kind to explain to me why people should laugh at this that would be nice (should we ask visionik to spare some time to make a post himself?)

no i don't get your drift
cats>dogs
post logs
PhilipJFry
Supreme Commander

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions