Why FAF competitive scene is dying

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

Re: Why FAF competitive scene is dying

Postby Sir Prize » 17 Feb 2020, 10:12

I thought this used to be automated, and I'd definitely disappeared from ladder until I started playing again recently - did that change?
Sir Prize
Evaluator

Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 91 times
FAF User Name: Sir-Prize

Postby FtXCommando » 17 Feb 2020, 11:10

The leaderboard doesn't remove you for inactivity as far as I'm aware. I've never seen it do that over the last 5ish years.

I've suggested a 50ish sigma increase per month of inactivity to brutus already, but as always, ideas > people available to implement.
Are you upset? Are you happy? Are you a FAF Player? Come to the PC Discord and share your thoughts and build the community!

https://discord.gg/Y2dGU8X
FtXCommando
Councillor - Players

Has liked: 234 times
Been liked: 583 times
FAF User Name: FtXCommando

Postby Bennis- » 17 Feb 2020, 13:36

Blodir wrote:Can we hide zock and keyser from leaderboards. They havent played since 2017

alternatively we could make blodirs name bold in the leaderboards, or a special font, that would serve the same purpose.
Bennis-

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 30 times
FAF User Name: Bennis

Postby ZLO_RD » 17 Feb 2020, 13:43

Bennis- wrote:
Blodir wrote:Can we hide zock and keyser from leaderboards. They havent played since 2017

alternatively we could make blodirs name bold in the leaderboards, or a special font, that would serve the same purpose.

removing inactive players will maybe help Blodir's motivation to keep playing. And i am fine with that.
all other players will also move up on the ladder, so that is not only about Blodir.

also... seems obvious to me, we should probably remove inactive after certain amount of inactivity time.
rating decay or deviation increase of some sort is good too, but just need to make sure there will not be any weird consiquences
(incresting deviation will make their rating move faster?)
http://www.youtube.com/user/dimatularus
http://www.twitch.tv/zlo_rd
TA4Life: "At the very least we are not slaves to the UI"
ZLO_RD
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 303 times
Been liked: 400 times
FAF User Name: ZLO

Postby Blodir » 17 Feb 2020, 15:19

Sir Prize wrote:I thought this used to be automated, and I'd definitely disappeared from ladder until I started playing again recently - did that change?

This is correct. The system used hide players who hadn't played any games for a year. This was still problematic since eg. keyser has played custom games he has just been avoiding the ladder. But yea don't think even that system is active anymore.
Blodir
Contributor

Has liked: 489 times
Been liked: 535 times
FAF User Name: Snowbound

Postby Voodoo » 17 Feb 2020, 15:45

I thought Ze_Pilot had done it manuelly in the past. I know for sure that a lot of players vanished from one day to another. It is nice when you reach the top 10 without doing anything. ^^
Voodoo

Has liked: 251 times
Been liked: 344 times
FAF User Name: Voodoo

Postby Ithilis_Quo » 17 Feb 2020, 15:54

There should be some kind of league system. That will reset score automatically every season for new competition (score is not the same as balance match elo, that should work invisible for players and should not be reseted). Then all of this problem will be solved, with much nicer opportunities of tourney and activity to try to get the best place near the end of the season.
"Fixed in Equilibrium" Washy
Ithilis_Quo
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 395 times
Been liked: 181 times
FAF User Name: Ithilis

Postby MrTBSC » 17 Feb 2020, 19:31

ZLO_RD wrote:
Bennis- wrote:

removing inactive players will maybe help Blodir's motivation to keep playing. And i am fine with that.
all other players will also move up on the ladder, so that is not only about Blodir.

also... seems obvious to me, we should probably remove inactive after certain amount of inactivity time.
rating decay or deviation increase of some sort is good too, but just need to make sure there will not be any weird consiquences
(incresting deviation will make their rating move faster?)

i think a inactivitytimer is suficient enough ..
i don´t think we should neccessarily "punish" players by decreasing their rating when they have been away for whatever RL reason.

now one could argue with only a inactivity timer a player just needs to play one game every once in a while to have his/her name back on the board but i think that would be rather preferable than having to climb back all the rating one may have lost over the period of time of inactivity .. ... sure a proplayer may rise back to the top quickly .. a novice though? ...

Ithilis_Quo wrote:There should be some kind of league system. That will reset score automatically every season for new competition (score is not the same as balance match elo, that should work invisible for players and should not be reseted). Then all of this problem will be solved, with much nicer opportunities of tourney and activity to try to get the best place near the end of the season.

not sure how starcraft 2 does it but iirc planetary annihilation uses a league-score-system that gets reset every season ...
as a bit of a bonus (not saying FAF should do this) every first place player who also have been the most active of a bracket (bronze, silver, gold, platin, uber) gets a bit of pricemoney ..
Last edited by MrTBSC on 17 Feb 2020, 19:41, edited 1 time in total.
MrTBSC

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 7 times
FAF User Name: Mr.TBSC

Postby FtXCommando » 17 Feb 2020, 19:34

Sigma increase does not lower your mu. The whole point is that it doesn’t manipulate a person’s trueskill level.
Are you upset? Are you happy? Are you a FAF Player? Come to the PC Discord and share your thoughts and build the community!

https://discord.gg/Y2dGU8X
FtXCommando
Councillor - Players

Has liked: 234 times
Been liked: 583 times
FAF User Name: FtXCommando

Postby keyser » 17 Feb 2020, 20:21

i have always been advocating for a season based ladder btw (similar to starcraft2)
Zockyzock:
VoR is the clan of upcoming top players now
keyser
Councillor - Game

Has liked: 424 times
Been liked: 540 times
FAF User Name: keyser

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions