Why FAF competitive scene is dying

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

Re: Why FAF competitive scene is dying

Postby moonbearonmeth » 09 Mar 2018, 17:39

Well I doubt any new players think they are 'good at the game'

I used to think I was pretty decent when I played on steam with friends who also only played on steam with friends :^)

I don't know how to really explain this better, it makes too much sense in my own head xD

I think it would just be easier to agree to disagree on how to raise our kids.

but I assumed that for the far majority of FAF players these kind of matchups are basically unwinnable.

You'd think so but it seems as late anyone can kind of just accidentally end up in a rating level they have no business being in (myself included).

because I think it wasn't really contested that the range is atm maybe a bit too high, although at very high levels it's probably worth keeping the high range since population is so scarce, not an unsolveable issue by any means and one that benefits the overall health of ladder if I may boldly say so.

Well I already said it was a tad higher than I initially thought. As for the second half I am not particularly fond of systems that require exceptions to function however some talks on maybe restructuring rating calculations and matching so that it kind of blends together a bit smoother have already happened. Not sure what the results will be if anything ever happens.

And yes, I had to make a new account because I didn't have access to my old one anymore, 4 years is a long time after all. And it's not like it's an uncommon thing, lu xun made a lot of smurfs, crazed broke ladder with one iirc, running smurfchecks on suspicious people leads to usually finding an account with tons of games and lower rating than the smurf, etc. I don't think it's difficult to make deductions based on this.

Maybe I just don't see smurfing as that big of an issue mostly because I rarely see it. As far as I can remember the only time I ever found a smurf was when some 0 rated guy on ladder got mad and started accusing me of being a smurf because I beat him, that was a nice day.

I'll concede the point for the less risky option I guess, will make proposal for the random ladder map option soon then, make sure to back it! :P

I'll tell you the secret to every great idea proposal.
Spoiler: show
Great, now convince someone to code it.

Speed2 is doing some tutorials that might help people understand how gameplay in ladder works, which is at least a (huge) step in the right direction.

Every man and his dog is making tutorials at the moment but I find it concerning when the message of the tutorials I've seen released since the start of the tutorial hype-train is 'you need mass and energy, and if your commander dies, you lose.' and this is actually something someone doesn't know.
Ask me about my amazing content production to watch while you wait in a lobby.
moonbearonmeth
Priest

Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 225 times
FAF User Name: Suomi KP-31 desu

Postby Farmsletje » 18 Mar 2018, 23:09

literally impossible to fill a 1.7k+ 2v2 on a sunday evening with 1k+ players online. Very competitive, much dansgame
FtXCommando wrote:
need to give him some time to blossom into an aids flower
Farmsletje
Contributor

Has liked: 383 times
Been liked: 452 times
FAF User Name: Farmsletje

Postby dstojkov » 19 Mar 2018, 10:48

Well ... let s try something original .. balance not competitive enough .. let s nerf to the ground !!!!!! Then players can enjoy even more !! :)
dstojkov
Evaluator

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 24 times

Postby Farmsletje » 19 Mar 2018, 11:01

I think you didnt use enough punctuation.
FtXCommando wrote:
need to give him some time to blossom into an aids flower
Farmsletje
Contributor

Has liked: 383 times
Been liked: 452 times
FAF User Name: Farmsletje

Postby uzurpator » 19 Mar 2018, 16:03

Farmsletje wrote:literally impossible to fill a 1.7k+ 2v2 on a sunday evening with 1k+ players online. Very competitive, much dansgame

Literally impossible to not play anything but Thermo/Gap in variety of remixes with 700 rating because every intresting game is limited to 1200+ and you get auto booted away.

Unless it's Setons. But Setons is pure cancer.
uzurpator

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 14 times
FAF User Name: uzurpatorex

Postby speed2 » 19 Mar 2018, 18:56

Farmsletje wrote:I think you didnt use enough punctuation.

He wanted to say that competitive scene would not be dying if we sticked to 3599
speed2
Contributor

Has liked: 636 times
Been liked: 1119 times
FAF User Name: speed2

Postby SilentWarrior » 31 Mar 2018, 04:11

It's a simple story, England Under 18 football is doing well. They go onto become England Under 21 and win the under 21 world cup. Soon they'll be ready for the real world cup.

If we don't have competition for low rated players, how will they become competitive when they're higher rated. If they're not in the habit of entering competitions, early on, then how will they make the jump to it later?

The closest I've come to being competitive was when there was ladder competition and players were split into their relevant groups of skill. I felt like going for it. It felt exciting. Unfortunately, someone came along and won like, every game and took the nooby crown. Someone, I'd never seen before, lets hope they weren't a smurf!

Engaging players when they're new to faf and encouraging them to join some battle tourney for lower ranked players, would do wonders for growing competition in the long term.
Greetings and Salutations
SilentWarrior
Contributor

Has liked: 190 times
Been liked: 46 times
FAF User Name: MisterK

Postby Feather » 02 Apr 2018, 05:22

why are people making super long unintelligent posts
Feather
Banned

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 12 times
FAF User Name: Feather

Postby Morax » 02 Apr 2018, 13:52

Feather wrote:why are people making super long unintelligent posts

Why are people still posting to this thread? I think it's made its point and we know FaF is 98% non compete.
Maps and Modifications Councilor

M&M Discord Channel

Come join us and help create content with the artists of FAF.
Morax
Councillor - Maps and Mods

Has liked: 1167 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: Morax

Postby Azraeel » 19 Jun 2019, 07:47

Hi, Everyone.

Sorry for the necro....

I wanna give my opinion on this thread....

I want to start off by addressing the issues at hand
In 2019, this isnt a rant. This is my opinion and the way i see things in faf.

- Why is faf competitive scene is dying? -

1) First, Maps, lets not rant about Dual Gap. Lets throw down the facts to why these maps are bad for FAF and the playerbase. Well, Maps like Dual Gap are simplified. In the terms of complete and total simplified gameplay of faf, where you dont have to worry about multiple sides and a more challenging game. A lot of players would rather play simcity. Maps like dual gap feed this playerbase. Thats wants zero challenge and are completely comfortable with playing a simplified game, where they can simcity to sunrise to sundown. Now, The problem i have with is this degrades the skillbase of faf and for the last 5 years and even longer, the skillbase of faf has gone down rapidly fast. People like Morax, Ozonex, SilentWarrior, Unorthodoxbox, and etc. Spend Days, Weeks, and even months on maps, but lets be honest they dont get recoginzed because The 300 versions of dual gap are blocking it. People play dual gap every single day and want 0 change. Maps like Wonder, Setons, Canis, Twin Rivers and etc. They are examples of good maps. That challenge the player and are both good balance wise and looks. I am gonna admit that these maps are overplayed....

2) Playerbase, Now people are gonna talk shit all day about this. Lets be honest, the playerbase of FAF is mostly toxic and are a bunch of assholes. If you even able to host a good map and get it full. We have the next issue the playerbase... when you get in a game, your expecting teamwork because well... its a teamgame. Well, no... most of time your team is yalling calling you shit and just arguing... quitting (Air is garbage GG) and just all around being assholes and showing zero teamwork. Im not gonna talk more about this...

3) Rating, For example Suzuji, who is a 3000 Rated Player, (god damn, the grind mate) hes probably a true rating of 2300 or 2200 from what i've seen. But, anyway false rating aka a lot of dual gap players. If you put a 2000 dual gap player vs a 1600 who plays on a lot maps including dual gap, setons, wonder, and etc. The 1600 will probably win because he plays different maps and isnt just a one map rated player... to be fair rating is a hard issue to fix. I will say ladder is a much more accurate represent of skill, because your playing on many maps. Its a 1v1 so you have to carry yourself and do able to eco, fight, use strategy, adapt, and think quickly. Sadly, nobody plays ladder including myself. Because the ladder pool is so bad and its getting worst.

4) New Players, this all feeds into reasons 1, 2 , and 3. When new players join. They face the problems of 1, 2 , and 3. I can see why if new players join they aint gonna be around but for a month. Im not gonna realky talk about this anymore it should be obvious.

Now, in conclusion. Thats why i believe faf is dying... im not gonna talk about how we fix it as many of ways have already been stated...
Last edited by Azraeel on 19 Jun 2019, 15:24, edited 1 time in total.
viewtopic.php?f=88&t=18142 | Swarm Developer

https://discord.gg/ChRfhB3 | AI-Development Server

How We All View Ladder
https://i.imgur.com/0CadeyB.png

Balance Team Crushed
https://i.imgur.com/dGsYCCp.png
Azraeel

Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 18 times
FAF User Name: Azraeelian-Angel

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions