Remastering

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

Remastering

Postby maidanuldefier » 02 Oct 2017, 02:29

Do you think we'll ever have a better pathfinding/less laggy/better connection/bigger community(it's fine now, but bigger can be better) or supcom ever?
This has to be my favorite game ever, even though i'm not good at it.
maidanuldefier

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: maidanuldefier

Re: Remastering

Postby FtXCommando » 02 Oct 2017, 03:00

Sure, we just need someone on FAF to become a millionaire entrepreneur or corrupt politician so that they can finance a team of programmers/marketers to give the game more shine/exposure.
Are you upset? Are you happy? Are you a FAF Player? Come to the PC Discord and share your thoughts and build the community!

https://discord.gg/Y2dGU8X
FtXCommando
Councillor - Players

Has liked: 234 times
Been liked: 583 times
FAF User Name: FtXCommando

Postby tatsu » 02 Oct 2017, 07:31

this. ^

it's been debated on here so many times. It seems there's just no other way.

Everytime I mention kickstarting such a project everyone tells me it'd never happen because apparently everyone on FAF's adorable except when it comes to being gratefull .....then they're cunts.

so yeah one of us (any one of us) needs to suddenly hit the jackpot out of nowhere. and if that person's love for FAF was unironic he/she'll dedicate 100% of that stack of cash to making "FAF HD" (with cross-core cross-thread cross-GPU and cross-OS real AI and pathfinding as well as even more simulation).

I know I would.

But I've stopped believing I'll be hit by the rich-ray.

that being said I have plenty of ideas of how to make it a success were it to happen and I'm willing to discuss it.
tatsu
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 1952 times
Been liked: 171 times
FAF User Name: tatsu

Postby biass » 02 Oct 2017, 08:12

Do i really have to explain why "just kickstart it" is not a good "plan"
Map thread: https://bit.ly/2PBsa5H

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Has liked: 598 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: biass

Postby zeroAPM » 02 Oct 2017, 12:09

Just fake being a [insert words related to twitch, popular games, biological sex, political leaning and all that good stuff that gets you loadsamoney for little effort] and watch the numbers grow faster than in Disgaea
zeroAPM
Priest

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 52 times
FAF User Name: Impressingbutton

Postby Franck83 » 02 Oct 2017, 13:05

Things can be done to improve supcom :

Hoping for a chris taylor back :) he's doing consulting now.

1. Visually, since we get better CPU horsepower with time, shaders can be area of improvement. Some bad looking games (i'm not saying that about supcom) can greater improve with shaders coding.

We just need someone with the skills. Personnaly, i'm with a donation community project to hire such a programmer. Weather cycle, clouds, better fog, volumetric fogs and lights, i'm sure we can do some cool things here.

2. Modern games are going for deeper gameplay with time. tech trees are everywhere now. In supcom, lua modding interface give us a huge liberty to craft fantastic gameplay mods. All kind of thing can be added (Tech tree, item shops, item dropping in combat, melee units, capture the flag mods...).

3. We need a more organized modding community that crafts the tool needed (especially ui one). I needed to do it in my mod, and it took a lot of time.

If the community does some interesting work, it may grab some attention (as the community did in age of empire so they got 2 remastered versions of age !). About paying mods, Bethesda said. "But we also believe our community wants to reward the very best creators, and that they deserve to be rewarded. We believe the best should be paid for their work and treated like the game developers they are. But again, we don't think it's right for us to decide who those creators are or what they create."
Alliance of Heroes Mod is out ! Try it ! It's in the Mod Vault !
Franck83
Evaluator

Has liked: 114 times
Been liked: 122 times
FAF User Name: Franck83

Postby PhilipJFry » 02 Oct 2017, 13:17

imho the game has a lot more depth than most other RTS i've played and adding a skill tree or some stuff like that to it won't do any good (yeah that stuff is nice for mods/additional game modes but not the most important stuff)
while improving the graphics is always nice i also don't think that doing so is very important (you spend most of your time looking at the icons and not unit models anyway)

the biggest issues that the game has are pathfinding (engine side - so we can't fix that) and the netcode (hopefully a bit better with the ice adapter)

if my memory doesn't trick me then the HD re release of age of empires was just a cash grab and Bethesda is also not the best company to quote currently when it comes to modding (what on earth did they think when releasing the shitshow they call creation club???)
cats>dogs
post logs
PhilipJFry
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 232 times
Been liked: 348 times
FAF User Name: PhilipJFry

Postby Franck83 » 02 Oct 2017, 13:33

I'm not saying supcom is lacking something. Just talking areas where we can do something. We can do nothing about pathfinding :(.

Just to say tech trees was the way chris taylor went with square enix collaboration in supcom 2.

Yes age of empire HD was a money grab, but the interesting thing is that in Aoe the community request and contribution was so deep, that they will go to an Aoe definitive edition now. And it's true microsoft will earn a good pile of cash but the game benefits too.

I think that with time, community contribution in games will be deeper. And sometimes well build mods overtake initial games and go to innovation (warcraft 3 -> Dota).

But it's just my opinion.
Alliance of Heroes Mod is out ! Try it ! It's in the Mod Vault !
Franck83
Evaluator

Has liked: 114 times
Been liked: 122 times
FAF User Name: Franck83

Postby biass » 02 Oct 2017, 14:02

age of empires

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYwZ6GZXWhA

Spoiler: show
i really do enjoy relic's painted cutscenes, they did it with dawn of war 3 and i was maybe the only one who appreciated them over shitty machima style cutscenes
Map thread: https://bit.ly/2PBsa5H

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Has liked: 598 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: biass

Postby Brutus5000 » 02 Oct 2017, 17:59

tatsu wrote:Everytime I mention kickstarting such a project everyone tells me it'd never happen because apparently everyone on FAF's adorable except when it comes to being gratefull .....then they're cunts.

Look at the monay spent on our casters and then compare it to the contribution to FAF itself and some of our devs who are open for it.
People want to be entertained and don't care about the game being developed. That's the side of funding.

And let's say we'd raise 1 mio $ and had access to the source code. What are we gonna do with it?
Everybody has a different opinion what should be changed. You still need a lead designer that decides what to change in order to come to any kind of result.
The 9th Doctor wrote:You think it'll last forever, the people and cars and concrete. But it won't. One day it's all gone, even the sky.
Brutus5000
Councillor - DevOps

Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 288 times
FAF User Name: brutus5000

Next

Return to General Discussions