Is it possible to remake the Shared Armies mod

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

Is it possible to remake the Shared Armies mod

Postby tatsu » 20 Aug 2017, 00:39

Sheeo at one point made the shared armies mods and it was unfinished because it still mostly relied on cheats being enabled but I'd really like to see it complete in a way that it can't be griefed.

It was incredible fun to play and I'm willing to put in my time to help this be a reality I think it'll be a gas.

anyways for those who don't know the idea is basically you can play a 1 v 1 (or maybe more) with up to 8 players controlling the armies of each side.

SO obviously you need voice-chat to coordinate this and in voice-chat you kinda dispatch responsibilities like "i micro bottom left corner" " i do air" "i do eco"
or whatever other cooky distribution you can come up with

it's pretty riveting because you get to witness what it's like playing as someone with perfect attention span perfect micro perfect and impossible apm.

what should be a pretty drab noob 1 v 1 turns intoTurinturambar on cocaine vs Mephi on stereoids.

(also Gyle Brnk & Heaven could cast them! )
Last edited by tatsu on 28 Aug 2017, 20:17, edited 2 times in total.
tatsu
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 1952 times
Been liked: 171 times
FAF User Name: tatsu

Re: Is it possible to make remake the Shared Armies mod

Postby IceDreamer » 20 Aug 2017, 00:41

It's still there, on the waiting list. It requires efforts in the lobby and game-start code to make it work and... Nobody has found the time :/ It will, one day, be integrated.
IceDreamer
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 488 times

Postby tatsu » 20 Aug 2017, 00:43

IceDreamer wrote:It's still there, on the waiting list. It requires efforts in the lobby and game-start code to make it work and... Nobody has found the time :/ It will, one day, be integrated.

nothing I can do to help?
keep in mind I need to learn FA modding from the bottom but my java and reactjs is pretty ok
tatsu
Supreme Commander

Postby IceDreamer » 20 Aug 2017, 01:14

https://github.com/FAForever/fa/issues/36

Basically thing 1 is to come up with a design. With this in play, the lobby needs to have player, army, team, not just player, team. So there's an extra column at least. Then all the support for random teams etc. Before any code we need just a theory for how to do this.
IceDreamer
Supreme Commander

Postby tatsu » 20 Aug 2017, 13:33

IceDreamer wrote:https://github.com/FAForever/fa/issues/36

Basically thing 1 is to come up with a design. With this in play, the lobby needs to have player, army, team, not just player, team. So there's an extra column at least. Then all the support for random teams etc. Before any code we need just a theory for how to do this.

I've thought about it and yeah there is literally no other way to do it then to add another column if you wanna give players full freedom and creativity to set up what they want.

But perhaps before we touch UI we can make a preliminary version one which assumes a 1v1 setup alway.

The only spawned commanders are the ones in slots one and two of the maps. (yes maps like thermo and gap and other maps that have slots 1 & 2 next to each other will not be very playable at first)

and with a working scaffold work our way into supporting UI features aswell.

the code can be written bottom up with this notion of a third collumn just use hard coded values at first and when the time comes to add in the UI support link the variables.

Is this something like what you were thinking?
Last edited by tatsu on 26 Aug 2017, 13:28, edited 1 time in total.
tatsu
Supreme Commander

Postby IceDreamer » 26 Aug 2017, 03:05

Excellent progress is being made on this. I am fairly sure I'll have a simplistic version which needs a bit of player cooperation lobby-side by end of weekend, and coop is definitely going to be ready, no question.

Lobby will need to support player/army/team, as well as each army having a 'control' player determined, and eventually team name as well. Colour will be determined by the army control player. There is also probably work to be done on the chat functions ingame, and the ingame scoreboard.

Rating will, of course, be impossible.

I see this as a featured mod more than primary integration at this point, given how much lobby will have to accomodate.

Massive thanks to MrNukealizer, without whom I'd still be beating my head against desyncs and nonfunctional switching :)
IceDreamer
Supreme Commander

Postby Exotic_Retard » 26 Aug 2017, 10:54

actually i think that the lobby just needs to support a "take my acu out of the game" button and thats it.

1. the teams are arranged by the existing teams
2. the spawns are arranged by the existing spawns
3. adding the button all you do is add the player to the team and then they let you know that you want to share armies
4. that way you have max flexibility since you can already choose all the teams and positions of the acu spawns. if you want more than 1 acu per team you can. the players should get a dialogue asking which acu they want to share at the start of the game
5. the button should also turn off when theres only one acu per team left so you cant have a team with no acus on it
6. also its "take my acu out of the game" and not vice versa for a reason - that way the integration is far more seamless, as acus missing is really the only difference and so you might not even have to specify a different game mode for this thing.

am i missing something here? i think this is a much simpler way of doing it.
Exotic_Retard
Contributor

Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 626 times
FAF User Name: Exotic_Retard

Postby IceDreamer » 26 Aug 2017, 11:42

I'm not sure with your method how you would set up a game with 4 teams, each comprising 2 armies, each army comprising 2 players. We are also not yet decided on if we want ACUs to not spawn, of if we want them to transfer control. Or if we want that an option. It also doesn't cover for an "Army Name", instead using the name of the player left in control. We'll be doing that at first of course, but eventually...
IceDreamer
Supreme Commander

Postby Exotic_Retard » 26 Aug 2017, 11:59

actually thats the limit -
you need 16 players for that which is just enough to manage without more changes than i listed:
1. you have 4 teams of 4 players
2. each team has 2 players pressing the take my acu out of the game
3. in game they get to choose which players acu they want to share, and that ends up with what you wanted. likewise they can be split so each team is 2 armies but only one of them is shared by 3 players and the other is solo.

thats it.

you can also have a 3v1 where theres 6 players controlling team 2 and 3x2 players controlling 3 acus on team 1, and so on.
Exotic_Retard
Contributor

Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 626 times
FAF User Name: Exotic_Retard

Postby IceDreamer » 26 Aug 2017, 12:57

OK so the ingame popup choice effectively moves that choice from lobby to there. Same function, different location. Gotcha.
IceDreamer
Supreme Commander

Next

Return to General Discussions