Nomads are back!

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

Re: Nomads are back!

Postby BenDover » 17 May 2017, 23:17

Zeldafanboy wrote:There are very few balanced, polished mods that don't change the core gameplay like PhantomX does. Nomads is by far the most polished, comprehensive mod, and it's still not even finished with being polished and finalized. Nobody is saying Nomads should be integrated NOW. Just in the future when the mod is finished.

This isn't about giving it a "second life", it's about improving the game. Engymod is an objective improvement to the gameplay that gives more options while removing none of the old ones. 40 engies just creates pathing issues anyways.

This is what I'm talking about when I refer to "nostalgic stubbornness". I'm not saying everything old is bad, but just because it's old that doesn't make it good. Things should be added or not added to the game based on whether they fundamentally change the game, and whether they improve the gameplay. (By improve, I mean create more options and gameplay possibilities)

What exactly is so wrong with it being a mod as its current state? Gameplay is not diminished in ANY way and it will gain absolutely nothing by being integrated into the game. You can say the mod could be then disabled in game, I ask why bother at all when it can be enabled right now just as easily?
Also you and I have very different definition of 'improvement', IMO a better term would be 'complete overhaul'. Introducing such large game changing modifications is not a step forward, it's a step sideways therefore I refuse to call it an improvement.
Last edited by BenDover on 17 May 2017, 23:20, edited 3 times in total.
BenDover

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 47 times

Postby Professor » 17 May 2017, 23:18

I love mods myself and I think it's great that the Nomads mod has been fixed of late and is continuing to get fixes and changes but I think it should stay as a mod.

The forums are already bad enough with complaining about balance with the 4 factions that have nearly been in the game for 10 years, a fifth faction that is a mod is only going to add more fuel to the fire, unless the Nomads are purposely left underpowered and then it's nearly pointless adding them in the first place. Of course if all all 5 factions were perfectly balanced it could only improve the game but I doubt that's going to happen.
Professor
Crusader

Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 7 times
FAF User Name: ProfessorJ69

Postby Zeldafanboy » 17 May 2017, 23:27

BenDover wrote:What exactly is so wrong with it being a mod as its current state? Gameplay is not diminished in ANY way and it will gain absolutely nothing by being integrated into the game.

I want to play Ranked as Nomads.

BenDover wrote:Also you and I have very different definition of 'improvement', IMO a better term would be 'complete overhaul'. Introducing such large game changing modifications is not a step forward, it's a step sideways therefore I refuse to call it an improvement.

I don't think adding Nomads would really change how other factions are played at all, unless you were fighting against Nomads. The Nomads as they are right now don't really have any huge game changing units or strategies. Their land game is strong and has a lot of options, but their air is nothing to write home about and their experimentals are situational. Their naval is fairly good, but they don't have anything like UEF T3. The only thing most drastically different about them is their ACU and SACUS.
Symbiont solidarity. All UEF Are Bastards.
Zeldafanboy

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 13 times
FAF User Name: Zeldafanboy

Postby Morax » 17 May 2017, 23:29

Zeldafanboy wrote:)
Morax wrote:What is "polished" exactly? Could you be a little more specific?

By "polished" I mean the faction shouldn't be buggy, and the modeling/textures should be up to snuff with the other 4 factions models/textures.

So you are telling me that as long as the aesthetics alone are brought to a visually-pleasing level you are good with them to go in the game?

What about a good balance for 1v1, team games, setons, etc etc.

What about the fact that in current it has more floating units than any other faction?

What about that it has "special Intel abilities?"

What about the other dozens of factors that affect the game?
Maps and Modifications Councilor

M&M Discord Channel

Come join us and help create content with the artists of FAF.
Morax
Councillor - Maps and Mods

Has liked: 1167 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: Morax

Postby FtXCommando » 17 May 2017, 23:30

Zeldafanboy wrote:
FtXCommando wrote:The central argument: I don't want to see a new faction because I don't want a new faction. Don't really need to justify why the status quo should be maintained.

"I don't want a new faction because I don't want a new faction" isn't an argument, that's very circular reasoning. I don't see why the status quo should be maintained. FAF has already made huge improvements and changes to base Forged Alliance, like Engy Mod, T3 Land MAA, and balancing things like Scathis etc.

As long as the Nomads is polished and balanced with no bugs, what's the issue? Just stubborn nostalgic resistance to change.

Haha, no. Maybe I need to repeat myself for the 4th time in this thread. I don't need a reason to explain why the game should stay the way it is. All I need to do is explain why your argument that the mod doesn't affect trueskill is crap. It seems no one in the last 3 pages has provided a coherent answer to the central point that judges whether a mod is capable of being ranked. Going to need to try harder.

Theae huge changes do not reflect the change an entire new faction would do. Engy mod was ridicuously controversial and was added for reasons other than "its epic faction lol." It was promoted as a solution to several present issues in game such as lag and pathfinding. T3 maa was the same as it was supposed to address an issue as it was around the time sams did nearly no damage to air. Scathis change isn't in the same ballpark.

Nomad change solves nothing. It's a meme faction that does nothing but create more problems because a bunch of 1ks need more tools they don't understand to play with.
Are you upset? Are you happy? Are you a FAF Player? Come to the PC Discord and share your thoughts and build the community!

https://discord.gg/Y2dGU8X
FtXCommando
Councillor - Players

Has liked: 234 times
Been liked: 583 times
FAF User Name: FtXCommando

Postby FtXCommando » 17 May 2017, 23:34

Zeldafanboy wrote:
BenDover wrote:What exactly is so wrong with it being a mod as its current state? Gameplay is not diminished in ANY way and it will gain absolutely nothing by being integrated into the game.

I want to play Ranked as Nomads.

BenDover wrote:Also you and I have very different definition of 'improvement', IMO a better term would be 'complete overhaul'. Introducing such large game changing modifications is not a step forward, it's a step sideways therefore I refuse to call it an improvement.

I don't think adding Nomads would really change how other factions are played at all, unless you were fighting against Nomads. The Nomads as they are right now don't really have any huge game changing units or strategies. Their land game is strong and has a lot of options, but their air is nothing to write home about and their experimentals are situational. Their naval is fairly good, but they don't have anything like UEF T3. The only thing most drastically different about them is their ACU and SACUS.

Explain to me how their mml doesn't drastically change gameplay. Explain how their extreme surplus of amphibious units doesn't change gameplay. Explain how a transport being able to drop a monkeylord doesn't change gameplay. Explain how a t3 missile arty that is far less expensive than t3 arty but has huge range doesn't change gameplay. Explain how speed upgrades on acus doesn't change gameplay. And this isn't even getting into the nuance of the faction.
Are you upset? Are you happy? Are you a FAF Player? Come to the PC Discord and share your thoughts and build the community!

FtXCommando
Councillor - Players

Postby BenDover » 17 May 2017, 23:39

Zeldafanboy wrote:I want to play Ranked as Nomads.

Not reason enough to implement the mod into base game. Far more people play phantom and yet we have no ranking system for it. If anything this shouldn't be decision of a few people, make a poll then we'll see. Besides maybe I don't want to play vs nomads in ranked, have you thought of that?
BenDover

Postby FtXCommando » 17 May 2017, 23:41

BenDover wrote:
Zeldafanboy wrote:I want to play Ranked as Nomads.

Not reason enough to implement the mod into base game. Far more people play phantom and yet we have no ranking system for it. If anything this shouldn't be decision of a few people, make a poll then we'll see. Besides maybe I don't want to play vs nomads in ranked, as do others, have you thought of that?

Wouldn't trust players to vote on a color for aeolus let alone the inclusion of a new faction.

FtXCommando
Councillor - Players

Postby Farmsletje » 17 May 2017, 23:41

commando read your fucking pm stop shitposting and join faf now
FtXCommando wrote:
need to give him some time to blossom into an aids flower
Farmsletje
Contributor

Has liked: 383 times
Been liked: 452 times
FAF User Name: Farmsletje

Postby BenDover » 17 May 2017, 23:42

FtXCommando wrote:Wouldn't trust players to vote on a color for aeolus let alone the inclusion of a new faction.

May we assume you know what's best for everyone then?
BenDover

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions