Nomads are back!

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

Re: Nomads are back!

Postby TheKoopa » 17 May 2017, 22:32

CSI wrote:
TheKoopa wrote:
CSI wrote: Because this mod doesn't change the gameplay of people who don't choose the nomads.

Playing against them isn't a gameplay change yea

Do you play really differently when you are against Cybran or UEF ? I don't think so. You wil still rush ASF when playing air, still build the same navy, the same tanks/bots when playing land... Give me an example of something you only do or don't do against a specific faction then.

+ I didn't say that Blackops doesn't change the gameplay, it does quite a lot but in a good way. But playing against Nomads is not very different to play against another faction.
BenDover wrote:
CSI wrote:Because this mod doesn't change the gameplay of people who don't choose the nomads.

And actually, there is no popular mod on FAF, I have never seen a Nomads or BO game which wasn't full of newbies. You all say it's not SCFA anymore but it is. You can say that for Total Mayhem or some other unbalanced unit pack but Blackops, BrewLAN and Nomads are more balanced than the original SCFA given by GPG. Thanks to all the FAF patches we have a quite balanced game but don't use "the developpers" as a graal. The only difference between GPG developpers and modders is that one is paid and not the other.

So start by joining Nomads games before classifying it as unbalanced.

What I suggest is to add it in the basegame, then add an option for the host to enable them or not, both cases being ranked.

I'm not saying it's imbalanced, ugly or lacking. I'm saying it's a mod and a pretty big one at that and it's right where it belongs, on the left side panel among other mods. There is absolutely nothing preventing you from playing nomads on your own server and that IMO is enough. Besides saying it doesn't change the gameplay for people who don't choose nomads is ridiculous, are people who do choose them put in an alternate reality when the game starts then?

As I said before, nobody join nomads games, so you can't say that nothing prevents me to play on my own server. Sometimes i host on Seton with nomads for 20 minutes, and no more than 1 or 2 will come, then I cancel and host a Seton without nomads and it takes less than 15 minutes to start... The problem is that people se the word "mod" and think it's some crazy shit, and when you ask them why they don't wanna play they say it's unbalanced but they haven't tested it once...

Ok so then I see I have to go into examples

Vs cybran I will be more wary of raids, scout more for corsairs, generally play more defensively than vs a uef, who would only profit from you leaving them alone
Feather: I am usually pretty good in judging people's abilities, intelligence and motives

Evildrew: Just because I didnt choose you for my team last year doesnt give you the right to be all bitchy and negative about my proposal
TheKoopa
Contributor

Has liked: 172 times
Been liked: 225 times
FAF User Name: Gently-

Postby Zeldafanboy » 17 May 2017, 22:38

FtXCommando wrote:The central argument: I don't want to see a new faction because I don't want a new faction. Don't really need to justify why the status quo should be maintained.

"I don't want a new faction because I don't want a new faction" isn't an argument, that's very circular reasoning. I don't see why the status quo should be maintained. FAF has already made huge improvements and changes to base Forged Alliance, like Engy Mod, T3 Land MAA, and balancing things like Scathis etc.

As long as the Nomads is polished and balanced with no bugs, what's the issue? Just stubborn nostalgic resistance to change.
Symbiont solidarity. All UEF Are Bastards.
Zeldafanboy

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 13 times
FAF User Name: Zeldafanboy

Postby TheKoopa » 17 May 2017, 22:45

Again

The majority came to play Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance

Not Supreme Blackops: Revenge of the ACU

Ironically engymod caused about half of the old community to quit and never return, and a lot of current players are still not happy with it

This also reminds me of a nice quote
FAF turned into a coding playground a long time ago, instead of being an actual project
Feather: I am usually pretty good in judging people's abilities, intelligence and motives

Evildrew: Just because I didnt choose you for my team last year doesnt give you the right to be all bitchy and negative about my proposal
TheKoopa
Contributor

Postby JaggedAppliance » 17 May 2017, 22:49

TheKoopa wrote:Ironically engymod caused about half of the old community to quit and never return, and a lot of current players are still not happy with it

Source please.
"and remember, u are a noob, u don’t have any rights to disagree" - Destructor

My Youtube channel with casts > https://www.youtube.com/c/jaggedappliance
My Twitch > https://www.twitch.tv/jaggedappliance
JaggedAppliance
Councillor - Balance

Has liked: 734 times
Been liked: 313 times
FAF User Name: JaggedAppliance

Postby BenDover » 17 May 2017, 22:52

Zeldafanboy wrote:
FtXCommando wrote:The central argument: I don't want to see a new faction because I don't want a new faction. Don't really need to justify why the status quo should be maintained.

"I don't want a new faction because I don't want a new faction" isn't an argument, that's very circular reasoning. I don't see why the status quo should be maintained. FAF has already made huge improvements and changes to base Forged Alliance, like Engy Mod, T3 Land MAA, and balancing things like Scathis etc.

As long as the Nomads is polished and balanced with no bugs, what's the issue? Just stubborn nostalgic resistance to change.

There are plenty of polished mods why shouldn't they be introduced into the game? Because they're user created mods... If I wanted to play with them guess what, I would. There is no circular reasoning here, I don't want something therefore I do not use it. Stop acting like you know what's best for me and others because you clearly don't. Nomads can be easily played by those who choose to do so and that is enough.

TheKoopa wrote:Ironically engymod caused about half of the old community to quit and never return, and a lot of current players are still not happy with it

Perfect example, although I've gotten used to it I still don't like it and think it was an unnecessary change, I'd still rather build 40 engies than 10 factories and majority still do the same. Old habits die hard, this game has been around for almost 10 years and doesn't need a revolution. If anyone thinks making major changes will give it a second life is a fool.
BenDover

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 47 times

Postby TheKoopa » 17 May 2017, 22:55

JaggedAppliance wrote:

Source please.

I was there during the aftermath

Were you?)))

TheKoopa
Contributor

Postby Morax » 17 May 2017, 22:58

Zeldafanboy wrote:As long as the Nomads is polished and balanced with no bugs, what's the issue? Just stubborn nostalgic resistance to change.

What is "polished" exactly? Could you be a little more specific?
Maps and Modifications Councilor

M&M Discord Channel

Come join us and help create content with the artists of FAF.
Morax
Councillor - Maps and Mods

Has liked: 1167 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: Morax

Postby JaggedAppliance » 17 May 2017, 23:03

TheKoopa wrote:
JaggedAppliance wrote:

Source please.

Were you?)))

Unfortunately you're not a good source. Now I will stop OT posting.
"and remember, u are a noob, u don’t have any rights to disagree" - Destructor

My Youtube channel with casts > https://www.youtube.com/c/jaggedappliance
My Twitch > https://www.twitch.tv/jaggedappliance
JaggedAppliance
Councillor - Balance

Has liked: 734 times
Been liked: 313 times
FAF User Name: JaggedAppliance

Postby Zeldafanboy » 17 May 2017, 23:07

TheKoopa wrote:Again

The majority came to play Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance

Not Supreme Blackops: Revenge of the ACU

That's a disingenuous comparison and you know it. Black Ops is a mod designed for fun and not balance.

TheKoopa wrote:]Ironically engymod caused about half of the old community to quit and never return, and a lot of current players are still not happy with it

Yeah, I don't think either of these claims are even close to being true.

BenDover wrote:There are plenty of polished mods why shouldn't they be introduced into the game? Because they're user created mods... If I wanted to play with them guess what, I would.

There are very few balanced, polished mods that don't change the core gameplay like PhantomX does. Nomads is by far the most polished, comprehensive mod, and it's still not even finished with being polished and finalized. Nobody is saying Nomads should be integrated NOW. Just in the future when the mod is finished.

BenDover wrote: Perfect example, although I've gotten used to it I still don't like it and think it was an unnecessary change, I'd still rather build 40 engies than 10 factories and majority still do the same. Old habits die hard, this game has been around for almost 10 years and doesn't need a revolution. If anyone thinks making major changes will give it a second life is a fool.

This isn't about giving it a "second life", it's about improving the game. Engymod is an objective improvement to the gameplay that gives more options while removing none of the old ones. 40 engies just creates pathing issues anyways.

This is what I'm talking about when I refer to "nostalgic stubbornness". I'm not saying everything old is bad, but just because it's old that doesn't make it good. Things should be added or not added to the game based on whether they fundamentally change the game, and whether they improve the gameplay. (By improve, I mean create more options and gameplay possibilities)

Morax wrote:What is "polished" exactly? Could you be a little more specific?

By "polished" I mean the faction shouldn't be buggy, and the modeling/textures should be up to snuff with the other 4 factions models/textures.
Symbiont solidarity. All UEF Are Bastards.
Zeldafanboy

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 13 times
FAF User Name: Zeldafanboy

Postby TheKoopa » 17 May 2017, 23:08

Were you?)))

Unfortunately you're not a good source. Now I will stop OT posting.

According to the great and almighty jaggedappliance, apparently yea

Whether the amount that left be half or not is irrelevant, a good portion did disappear afterwards

TheKoopa
Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions