automatch/ladder map pool (OUTDATED, SEE LINK)

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

Re: automatch/ladder map pool

Postby Tagada » 15 Apr 2017, 11:52

Blodir wrote:Hello, I'm glad to see you guys are enjoying yourselves!

Here's the improvements that I'd be open for:
- Veto system: 7 maps 3 vetos
- Map selection algorithm, which prevents (or lowers the probability of) playing the same map more than twice in a row.

Also, what do you think about rotation speed? My thoughts so far were; every 2 weeks change 3/5 maps, but I can also see a lot of merit in a slower rotation (not least to prevent the burden on the poor developer who has to run the map pool update query!)

I really enjoy Blodir's idea. I would like to see posibility of selecting maps you either don t want or want to play. Eg. Map pool is 8-10 maps and you can "ban" 2 maps so person who hates 5x5 maps doesn t need to play them or somebody who likes all maps except naval maps now have chance to play whatever he likes and enjoyes the most. I think this will make more people play ladder beacause they won't have mind set of " I don't really want to play beacause i don't like 2 maps from 5 map pool so i won't play at all and wait for next rotation"

I also think we could gather some best ideas and do a voting so people who play ladder can actually decide what they want and which dire ction they think ladder should go.
Tagada

Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 18 times
FAF User Name: WhoIsThisNoob

Postby zachyattacky » 15 Apr 2017, 12:30

Reasons why I don't like a small map pool:

I only ever got to play like 10-15 games a week typically in my faf career (90% of those games on the weekend), so I only got to play each map 1-3 times. I was ranked around 1200 on the ladder when I stopped playing.

Even before with a map pool of 15ish maps I noticed I always did significantly better the first two weeks of the rotation.
I think this was because people didn't have any specific build orders and didn't know the map as well.
Towards the end of the rotation I was only able to employ general game/map experience where as my opponents usually had played the map a few times and had the specific map skills too.

Now I don't even want to play the new ladder because unless I play the first day of the map change there's a good chance my opponent has played the map many times, and I basically have no chance unless they are significantly lower ranked.

I know I could just host a game myself, but that's not why I play faf, I like the ladder. I am also not begging to have a huge map pool, just letting my opinion be known amongst the sea of other opinions. But, until there is a different system I doubt I'll play - Losing every game because the opponent played the game more, not necessarily because they were more skilled than I isn't fun for me.
zachyattacky

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 8 times
FAF User Name: zachyattacky

Postby Heaven » 15 Apr 2017, 12:51

@Morax
i have no idea how what you said relates to what i said. could you explain, please?
Heaven

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 135 times
FAF User Name: Heaven

Postby RocketRooster » 15 Apr 2017, 13:39

I keep on being dumped on Roanoke abyss.... more maps would be welcome for more variety if nothing else.
RocketRooster

Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 52 times
FAF User Name: RocketRooster

Postby keyser » 15 Apr 2017, 14:59

fucking make 2 ladders one with little map pool and one with big map pool. Add the possibility to search for both.
You can see when someone search for one of them, and you decide if you want to play them on the ladder they chose or not.
It won't "split the community". Either they decide to have a game that suit what they are looking for (and would have complain otherwise) or either they don't care and just want to play a game. Might even increase the number of people playing ladder since many don't play ladder because of map pool.
The complain flow won't stop until you do something along these lines.

btw, i already said before that having "chill" and a "tryhard" ladder would make every one happy.
Zockyzock:
VoR is the clan of upcoming top players now
keyser
Councillor - Game

Has liked: 424 times
Been liked: 540 times
FAF User Name: keyser

Postby KeyBlue » 15 Apr 2017, 15:16

There seems to be one main issue of discussion.
What should the ladder be about?

Higher quality games with more people who have experience on maps. (higher quality as in more fine-tuned builds and better plays)

OR

Lower quality games where the all round players succeed.

Going on keysers request.
I think it would be better if we just had general matchmaking for 1v1 and maybe some teamgames. (but who will code this?)
And stick to only 1 competitive 1v1 scene.
KeyBlue
Priest

Has liked: 140 times
Been liked: 93 times
FAF User Name: KeyBlue

Postby Mishu » 15 Apr 2017, 15:35

I must say i've enjoyed that change to the point I've actually started playing ladder rather than hosting custom 1v1s (i used to do up to 15 finns a day)
I'm not playing as frequently as i'd like to, but when i do i like to play a lot on fewer amount of maps rather than getting confused in a huge map variety.

When i'm facing a map i've analysed before, i can correct my mistakes which i did in previous games. I can focus on them better, more cautiously and not get distracted as much, becouse for me it's hard to keep up with understanding e.g, 16 maps at once, which feels overwhelming and discouraging from improving further on.

I'd love having "ban" option, i miss it since old days. I'd rather search longer than waste time on a map that i absolutely despise.
was alt-f4 every loki this rotation

Opinion of a 600 rated scrub, probably doesn't matter
Mishu

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times
FAF User Name: Mishu

Postby Mad`Mozart » 15 Apr 2017, 16:02

zachyattacky wrote:Losing every game because the opponent played the game more, not necessarily because they were more skilled than I isn't fun for me.

So basically you DO complain about people being better than you at the game :roll:
We need to find a way to make ladder more casual friendly.
Mad`Mozart
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby keyser » 15 Apr 2017, 16:17

KeyBlue wrote:There seems to be one main issue of discussion.
What should the ladder be about?

Higher quality games with more people who have experience on maps. (higher quality as in more fine-tuned builds and better plays)

OR

Lower quality games where the all round players succeed.

Going on keysers request.
I think it would be better if we just had general matchmaking for 1v1 and maybe some teamgames. (but who will code this?)
And stick to only 1 competitive 1v1 scene.

there will never be an answer that will satisfy everyone for this. At best you can make a poll and majority decide, but there will still be complainers and people not playing ladder because of that. (Or we make a middle between both idea, but no side will be content)
Zockyzock:
VoR is the clan of upcoming top players now
keyser
Councillor - Game

Has liked: 424 times
Been liked: 540 times
FAF User Name: keyser

Postby Blodir » 15 Apr 2017, 16:52

ITT

- Player(s) who play very (very very) few games: would do better on a huge map pool, where everyone was playing maps for the first time (since even with a small map pool they don't play enough games to get decent practice on any of the maps)

- Players who play more or less regularly: do better on a small map pool, games are even, everyone has a decent idea of what to do on all maps, and players feel generally safe going into a match knowing they won't be thrown completely out of their element

- Player(s) who play(s) a LOT: are at a risk of getting bored of a small map pool quickly
Blodir
Contributor

Has liked: 489 times
Been liked: 535 times
FAF User Name: Snowbound

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions