automatch/ladder map pool (OUTDATED, SEE LINK)

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

Re: automatch/ladder map pool

Postby nine2 » 17 Apr 2017, 03:10

Not sure its worth integrating ui mods. Maybe hassar score and notify, selection sort are ok.

It would be worth, for new players, automatically enabling common ui mods and hotbuild shortcuts, other shortcuts
nine2
Councillor - Promotion

Has liked: 285 times
Been liked: 515 times
FAF User Name: Anihilnine

Postby KeyBlue » 17 Apr 2017, 03:30

Well current system has done very well for my rating. :p
I also feel more confident starting a ladder as i know i'll have a decent understanding of the maps.
This caters very well to my casual(average of 2 ladder/day?) ladder play.

But i would like to suggest a more fluid system.
Instead of having hard rotations each 2weeks/month/... , I think it would be more interesting to have a new map twice a week.
So each monday and thursday 1 map would get rotated out and replaced. (or 2 other days, whatever)
Then depending on the total pool size each map would be in ladder for x amount of weeks.

People could start learning the new map for 3-4 days while having the other maps in the pool for which they can use their tried-and-true BO's and tactics. This would avoid the issue of having to suddenly learn 5 or more new maps each rotation.
As long as a player keeps playing ladder he should have an easy time adapting to each new map.

I think such a system would have most of the benefits of the current one but it could work with a bigger map pool.
And it would keep things more interesting since there is 2 new maps each week.

PS: I heard that old Zep pool took a map from your pool (33% chance), a map from your opponents pool (33%) or a random map (33%)
So there was no veto and you only played a map you had chosen 1/3 of your games.
KeyBlue
Priest

Has liked: 140 times
Been liked: 93 times
FAF User Name: KeyBlue

Postby nine2 » 17 Apr 2017, 04:59

I don't mind the map pool at the moment. Earlier I was against it. I control every time I get roanoke but aside from that its fine for me
nine2
Councillor - Promotion

Has liked: 285 times
Been liked: 515 times
FAF User Name: Anihilnine

Postby Blodir » 17 Apr 2017, 07:52

uteten wrote:I...really dont like this system.
As a relatively new player it was fun for me to get maps I have never seen before and trying to come up with a build and a working strategy.It was a good way to get a got understanding of the macro basis of the game, which from my point of view is the best way to improve fast. Now I loose on eots to players who have played the map 100 times more often than me and have a intercepter production slightly better than mine. I am now forced to sandbox map-specific builds to keep improving instead of analysing my games from a macro perspective.Its time i now cannot spent on improving my macro understanding of the game;instead i learn how to play very specific maps.
This new system seems to be in the interest of the pro players and not for new, still improving players like me.
The automatch system is for ALL players of ALL skill levels and not just for the top 5 players and this has to be kept in mind to design a system that is a net benefit for ALL players.

I am puzzled by this comment. The intention behind the 5 map rotation in exactly that all players, no matter how many games they play, have a chance of playing even games on maps they are comfortable with. On a large map pool players with more experience have a distinct advantage over newer players, from just knowing the maps very well, on a small map pool naturally it'll be the same, except now newer player have a chance of catching up with their map knowledge in a reasonable amount of time.

In the past games used to end in <10 minutes, because people fucked up their buildorders and especially in the lower ratings games felt like a flip of a coin. Now that everyone has a chance of learning the basics of each map, we should see more even matches across the rating spectrum.

If the map pool gets increased to 10 maps or something then it destroys the whole point and only the most active players will have any chance of being consistent
Blodir
Contributor

Has liked: 489 times
Been liked: 535 times
FAF User Name: Snowbound

Postby Tokyto » 17 Apr 2017, 14:33

Hello commanders!

First of all, thanks all for participating in the map pool preference vote, was very helpful to me and can also be used in the future :)

I have decided to go for 7 maps in the pool, where 5 of them will change every 3 weeks. The map pool will consist of one 5 km map, one 20km map and five 10 km maps. The aim of this pool is to have relatively small, 'noob-friendly' pool (less maps to learn), but also not too few for it to become too repetitve for palyers who play a lot of games per day. I hope you will enjoy playing ladder with this pool and if not, i'm always open for feedback!

Tokyto_

New Map Pool:

5km map
Theta Passage - a small map for fast games

10km maps
high noon - a map with lot of possible strategies. Allowing the use of all Land/Naval/Air gameplay
Regor VI Highlands - a classic 1v1 map
vulcan's reach - a land focused map, with air gameplay potential
Forbidden Pass v4 - land map, with terrain features blocking direct land assault, making for interesting air plays
Broken_Vows - an expansion-heavy map

20km map
pelagial - a 20km naval map
Tokyto
Evaluator

Has liked: 452 times
Been liked: 302 times
FAF User Name: Tokyto_

Postby Blodir » 17 Apr 2017, 14:40

player councilor deserves to be decapitated for treason

very mad
Last edited by Blodir on 17 Apr 2017, 15:19, edited 2 times in total.
Blodir
Contributor

Has liked: 489 times
Been liked: 535 times
FAF User Name: Snowbound

Postby Turinturambar » 17 Apr 2017, 15:13

I liked the 5 mappool because it made it possible to do many Things on one map
when I Play a map I want to first figure out an ok BO and strategy for the map (which will take 3-7 games)
then I might want to mix Things up and try a different BO where I might Need 2-4 attempts again to have it woking (without ne or my oponent totally failing) and then I want to Play that BO vs 2-4 more opponents to see what different reactions there are to that strategy. wihch makes 6-10 games for this. depending on the map there may be 2-4 different stategies at least.
so for one map I would Need about 25 games per map which with 5 map is 125 games/rotation (and this is without "casual" laddergames games where I jus want to Play normal/troll)
(which is definetly more than I can Play atm )
Turinturambar

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 91 times
FAF User Name: 竜宮レナ

Postby Mad`Mozart » 17 Apr 2017, 15:31

If you putting Pelagial, maybe care to solve an issue with missing mex there first?
Mad`Mozart
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby Tokyto » 17 Apr 2017, 15:34

turinturambar42 wrote:I liked the 5 mappool because it made it possible to do many Things on one map
when I Play a map I want to first figure out an ok BO and strategy for the map (which will take 3-7 games)
then I might want to mix Things up and try a different BO where I might Need 2-4 attempts again to have it woking (without me or my oponent totally failing) and then I want to Play that BO vs 2-4 more opponents to see what different reactions there are to that strategy. wihch makes 6-10 games for this. depending on the map there may be 2-4 different stategies at least.
so for one map I would Need about 25 games per map which with 5 map is 125 games/rotation (and this is without "casual" laddergames games where I jus want to Play normal/troll)
(which is definetly more than I can Play atm )

Your math has some massive flaw in it. It doesn't take time into consideration. So let me correct it. You have 125 games per 2 weeks for your 5 maps pool. That is about 9 games per day. But in 7 maps pool, you have to only play 8.3 games the first rotation, and 6 games the next, Which after summing up is about 7 games per day.

Now taking into account that you don't have enough time to 'Play atm', this option is way better for you.

#REKT

Tokyto_
Tokyto
Evaluator

Postby Tokyto » 17 Apr 2017, 15:37

Mad`Mozart wrote:If you putting Pelagial, maybe care to solve an issue with missing mex there first?

Didn't know about this, thanks for the report :)
Tokyto
Evaluator

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions