automatch/ladder map pool (OUTDATED, SEE LINK)

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

Re: automatch/ladder map pool

Postby Blodir » 15 Apr 2017, 16:55

Mishu wrote:Opinion of a 600 rated scrub, probably doesn't matter

Your thoughts are shared by a 2200 rated scrub

besides the loki=altf4 part, seriously it's one of the best maps
Blodir
Contributor

Has liked: 489 times
Been liked: 535 times
FAF User Name: Snowbound

Postby angus000 » 16 Apr 2017, 05:21

I think the problem here is that different players have different necessities. Low-rated/new players would benefit way more and most likely won't get as bored of a small pool, but there is no much to gain other than boredom for better, more experimented players.

One possible option is to divide players into divisions and have them obtain a wider pool and maybe even veto rights as they progress into each division. For example, the 'soldier' division (most basic one) could make use of the current proposed system of 5-maps map-pool, whereas the 'commander' division could have 30+ maps available and 10 veto possibilities. This also would be consistent with the fact that soldiers don't get to choose where they fight, since they don't have the authority. On the other hand, commanders would get to choose (to some point) where they wanna fight.

Maps and vetos could also be purchasable using some kind of 'credit' that you earn as you advance to the next division or win a battle, but this would make harder to control and achieve the initial objective of 'having a smaller pool for newbies to learn'.

I think this system might be fun.
angus000

Has liked: 111 times
Been liked: 39 times
FAF User Name: flexible

Postby Morax » 16 Apr 2017, 16:01

Heaven wrote:@Morax
i have no idea how what you said relates to what i said. could you explain, please?

"if 2000+ don't want to steamroll joes that don't have a map-specific build order for each and every map"

Pretty much this, Heaven. I don't really understand what you were trying to get across by saying, but it came off as "seasoned vets are destroying joes who don't have as good a build order."

Maybe you could cite some more specific examples or further elaborate what you said.
Maps and Modifications Councilor

M&M Discord Channel

Come join us and help create content with the artists of FAF.
Morax
Councillor - Maps and Mods

Has liked: 1167 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: Morax

Postby Space4Man » 16 Apr 2017, 17:02

I think 5 maps map pool is terrible. :) Boring. Now I stopped playing ladder.
Space4Man

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: Space4Man

Postby Mad`Mozart » 16 Apr 2017, 22:23

Ok it has been enough time and i can confirm now that current map pool is cancer.
I played 1 game in a week and i dont want to anymore.
Mad`Mozart
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby uteten » 16 Apr 2017, 22:53

I...really dont like this system.
As a relatively new player it was fun for me to get maps I have never seen before and trying to come up with a build and a working strategy.It was a good way to get a good understanding of the macro basis of the game, which from my point of view is the best way to improve fast. Now I loose on eots to players who have played the map 100 times more often than me and have a intercepter production slightly better than mine. I am now forced to sandbox map-specific builds to keep improving instead of analysing my games from a macro perspective.Its time i now cannot spent on improving my macro understanding of the game;instead i learn how to play very specific maps.
This new system seems to be in the interest of the pro players and not for new, still improving players like me.
The automatch system is for ALL players of ALL skill levels and not just for the top 5 players and this has to be kept in mind to design a system that is a net benefit for ALL players.
Last edited by uteten on 18 Apr 2017, 08:35, edited 1 time in total.
Wat mutt dat mutt
uteten
Crusader

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 4 times
FAF User Name: uteten

Postby Morax » 16 Apr 2017, 23:18

uteten wrote:This new system seems to be in the interest of the pro players and not for new, still improving players like me.

Uteten, first and foremost, welcome to the community.

Do you mind explaining, though, how a larger map pool will not cater to better players? In my experience, regardless of map pool size, being "sightly more efficient in intie production" will be a factor that will lose games no matter what. I think if you start to play in a larger pool and watch replays of "pro players" you will see they have builds for a majority of the maps. It will take more time and frustration to learn in a larger pool.

My advice is to just keep at it and work on things until you begin to win.

Whether the pool is made larger or kept the same, good luck in your FAF 1v1 career.

And FYI, on a personal note, since you are in BAW you should know we are here to help make your 1v1 improve. Please ask your clan mates fit help and we will get you going!

M&M Discord Channel

Morax

Postby TheKoopa » 17 Apr 2017, 01:46

with zep pool you essentially picked what pool you wanted and it was pretty good, why don't we still have that
Feather: I am usually pretty good in judging people's abilities, intelligence and motives

Evildrew: Just because I didnt choose you for my team last year doesnt give you the right to be all bitchy and negative about my proposal
TheKoopa
Contributor

Has liked: 172 times
Been liked: 225 times
FAF User Name: Gently-

Postby Morax » 17 Apr 2017, 02:19

TheKoopa wrote:with zep pool you essentially picked what pool you wanted and it was pretty good, why don't we still have that

Because it had maps like "Zorg Rampage" in it :lol:

M&M Discord Channel

Morax

Postby TheKoopa » 17 Apr 2017, 02:20

Then don't include those types of maps? :P
Feather: I am usually pretty good in judging people's abilities, intelligence and motives

Evildrew: Just because I didnt choose you for my team last year doesnt give you the right to be all bitchy and negative about my proposal
TheKoopa
Contributor

Has liked: 172 times
Been liked: 225 times
FAF User Name: Gently-

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions