Area Commands

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

Re: Area Commands

Postby Farmsletje » 10 Dec 2016, 18:18

Holy shit that reclaim option looks massively overpowered. Imo this is going too far with mods and should never be implemented.
FtXCommando wrote:
need to give him some time to blossom into an aids flower
Farmsletje
Contributor

Has liked: 383 times
Been liked: 452 times
FAF User Name: Farmsletje

Postby jackherer » 10 Dec 2016, 20:17

Yea fa is already not a big apm game, so i dont think we need to remove apm and make the reclaim easier. But we could even go on the other side, and force manual reclaim only to make the game in favor of ppl having better apm
jackherer

Has liked: 65 times
Been liked: 61 times
FAF User Name: Jackherer

Postby PhilipJFry » 10 Dec 2016, 20:34

Sure. We could also get rid of templates. Those are just there so you don't have to click so much.
cats>dogs
post logs
PhilipJFry
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 232 times
Been liked: 348 times
FAF User Name: PhilipJFry

Postby angus000 » 10 Dec 2016, 21:01

Why should clicking repeatedly on rocks determine who is a better player? Imo the player with better decision making should achieve victory, not those who KNOW about the advantages of manual reclaim and have the apm to do it. Micromanaging units comes under this logic too, but unlike spamming random clicks on rocks, it's more fun, that's why it's more accepted.
angus000

Has liked: 111 times
Been liked: 39 times
FAF User Name: flexible

Postby SpoCk0nd0pe » 10 Dec 2016, 21:37

angus000 wrote:Why should clicking repeatedly on rocks determine who is a better player? Imo the player with better decision making should achieve victory, not those who KNOW about the advantages of manual reclaim and have the apm to do it. Micromanaging units comes under this logic too, but unlike spamming random clicks on rocks, it's more fun, that's why it's more accepted.

This!

It's the same reason units auto target the best targets, cybran cruisers auto switch their aa guns etc. APM are an advantage but do not win you games is the trademark of FAF. So please implement area commands.
SpoCk0nd0pe

Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 37 times
FAF User Name: SpoCk0nd0pe

Postby Farmsletje » 11 Dec 2016, 00:31

angus000 wrote:Why should clicking repeatedly on rocks determine who is a better player? Imo the player with better decision making should achieve victory, not those who KNOW about the advantages of manual reclaim and have the apm to do it. Micromanaging units comes under this logic too, but unlike spamming random clicks on rocks, it's more fun, that's why it's more accepted.

That's just entirely wrong. Apm is one of the parts of being a good player. Why do you think the top players in faf mostly have better apm? It is the combination of decision making and carrying them out with the use of apm. Just because you think manually reclaiming isn't fun enough doesn't mean there has to be a mod for it that does that for you.

Another big part of the game is to weigh the pros and cons of performing certain actions. Do you spend more time reclaiming and lose time in expanding? Is it worth more to micro your 2 labs or is it better to set up some drops? There are simply too many things you have to do each game and that makes it so challenging. A high apm does indeed make one a better player. Look at starcraft for example, where the best players have an average apm of over 300. At the start of each game each player would overmicro the shit out of his/her workers to gain a few extra resources at the start. Did they patch the game to make the workers do such a stupid and boring task automatically? No of course not. These little bits of extra micro is what distinguishes the pro's.

PS: Just so you know, there is a thing called 'attack move'

PhilipJFry wrote:Sure. We could also get rid of templates. Those are just there so you don't have to click so much.

Except for the fact that manual reclaim orders and templates are an entirely different thing, you are correct.

SpoCk0nd0pe wrote:This!

It's the same reason units auto target the best targets, cybran cruisers auto switch their aa guns etc. APM are an advantage but do not win you games is the trademark of FAF. So please implement area commands.

Wrong. Apm do certainly win me most of my games. Whenever i'm not in my comfortable supcom mode and have half my apm as normal i play a lot worse then normal. Ask Morax about our nice 1v1 on diversity in which i had to ragequit in 5min because i just couldn't keep up with anything after min 3. Ask Aleg about our 1v1 at flank on wonder 2 days ago in which i got totally wrecked because i was sleep drunken which made me unable to micro my units.

And i don't know what made you think so, but units certainly don't auto target the best targets, simply because the Ai doesn't know what the best targets are. Also it's something completely different.
FtXCommando wrote:
need to give him some time to blossom into an aids flower
Farmsletje
Contributor

Has liked: 383 times
Been liked: 452 times
FAF User Name: Farmsletje

Postby Viba » 11 Dec 2016, 03:24

Viba
Councillor - Moderation

Has liked: 144 times
Been liked: 224 times
FAF User Name: !smurfcheck Viba

Postby angus000 » 11 Dec 2016, 06:32

Spoiler: show
Farmsletje wrote:That's just entirely wrong. Apm is one of the parts of being a good player. Why do you think the top players in faf mostly have better apm? It is the combination of decision making and carrying them out with the use of apm. Just because you think manually reclaiming isn't fun enough doesn't mean there has to be a mod for it that does that for you.

Another big part of the game is to weigh the pros and cons of performing certain actions. Do you spend more time reclaiming and lose time in expanding? Is it worth more to micro your 2 labs or is it better to set up some drops? There are simply too many things you have to do each game and that makes it so challenging. A high apm does indeed make one a better player. Look at starcraft for example, where the best players have an average apm of over 300. At the start of each game each player would overmicro the shit out of his/her workers to gain a few extra resources at the start. Did they patch the game to make the workers do such a stupid and boring task automatically? No of course not. These little bits of extra micro is what distinguishes the pro's.

PS: Just so you know, there is a thing called 'attack move'

That's exactly what I said; having better apm makes you a better player, and that's a bad thing. Of course, we can't avoid that fact, but we should try to minimize as much as possible. And I doubt reclaiming rocks is fun for anyone. Why do you think UI mods are getting used more and more? Because they do boring stuff for you that you're sick of doing because it doesn't require any special skill nor knowledge. Hell, there even is a mod that manages your energy, and you are okay with that but not with area reclaim?
I agree that apm is another hidden resource of the game, and decision making onto where to spend it makes you a better player. So what? That applies to the whole game, but we are talking about reclaiming rocks here, a nice future of this game that could be made less annoying.

And yes, I know about attack move, it's way less efficent than manual reclaiming, and the scenario would even be similar in the case of area reclaiming, but would punish you less for not clicking on rocks.

In general, the thing here is: it is fun to micro your combat units (most of them), but it is not fun to micro your engies to compensate for their retarded behavior.

Spoiler: show
Farmsletje wrote:
PhilipJFry wrote:Sure. We could also get rid of templates. Those are just there so you don't have to click so much.

Except for the fact that manual reclaim orders and templates are an entirely different thing, you are correct.

How are they any different in regards to the matter in question? If templates weren't a thing, you would have decision making opportunity between spending more of your apm in placing walls around it to uplift its survavility, or giving orders elsewhere in the battlefield. That's what you're defending; you apparently prefer to need to have it done manually so it gives you a chance to make the "correct decision" and be a better player out of it, but in reality, it's just annoying.
angus000

Has liked: 111 times
Been liked: 39 times
FAF User Name: flexible

Postby This_Guy » 11 Dec 2016, 06:52

I think that the auto reclaim thing would ruin the game, thats the point of attack move. Its worse than manual, but better than nothing, rewarding players with higher apm. Players with higher apm/skill deserve to be higher rated, its not fair to make other people at their level. And i know plenty of people who have really low apm but are still high rated, i have an apm of maybe 50 on a good day but am 1700 ladder. I can beat plenty of people with much higher apm. Not everyone has to be a pro, if youre at the right rating you should be playing people of similar skill anyways, so it wont matter.

Not to mention, if you had engies reclaiming like that, you would constantly overflow mass if youre not paying careful attention. Whereas manual reclaim allows you to determine how much you need before moving on.
Last edited by This_Guy on 11 Dec 2016, 07:34, edited 1 time in total.
This_Guy

Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 29 times
FAF User Name: This_Guy

Postby biass » 11 Dec 2016, 07:11

Manual reclaim is kinda important at the start of games, and spending what would otherwise be idle time to get eco advantages should be encouraged

as for the "not fun" part, maybe not if you have some arthritis but spamming up some manual reclaim is pretty fun and not annoying at all to me, its subjective

im not sure dumbing down the game because a couple of people don't think reclaiming rocks is "fun" is a solid idea

(i use ui mods to name my t4s shitty names and to help with teamwork, not carry me)
Map thread: https://bit.ly/2PBsa5H

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Has liked: 598 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: biass

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions