Why did you stop playing FAF regularly?

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

Re: Why did you stop playing FAF regularly?

Postby Morax » 06 Sep 2016, 21:11

Mad`Mozart wrote:
Morax wrote:Yeah but eventually people will realize there is a good set of basics that can be followed everywhere, learn the small differences per each map, and then gain the ability to innovate and become a good player.

Actually i have seen so many players in ladder who reached 1800-1900 and failed to improve. Usually they have very strong BOs for generic land maps but whenever there's slightly unusual map with different meta, they play worse than 1500 :D We had lots of such kind of maps already in rotations but every time story repeats itself. Generic 10km is awfully dominant meta and for most people learning it = learning the game (then complain about cancer maps and quit game/ladder). Actual good players that can innovate and play different maps wont appear anymore.

Forgot to add we need to stop being so pessimistic and up our training game whether you are very skilled or unskilled at the game. Chances are, if you've been around for a year or more you can probably teach someone something, know when you are no longer able to teach beyond a level, and refer someone else. I normally send people to Nexus, turin, ZLO, Zock, Kalvirox, etc, etc when I can no longer offer help as I'm still learning myself.
Maps and Modifications Councilor

M&M Discord Channel

Come join us and help create content with the artists of FAF.
Morax
Councillor - Maps and Mods

Has liked: 1167 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: Morax

Postby Blodir » 06 Sep 2016, 21:13

Morax wrote:
Blodir wrote:People with high amount of games will have a rough build order figured out for every map anyways and gain an immense advantage that way over people with less experience

Yeah but eventually people will realize there is a good set of basics that can be followed everywhere, learn the small differences per each map, and then gain the ability to innovate and become a good player.

The small map pool restricts the development of players and that irks me beyond belief as we are in desperate need of people to stop being crap at this game.

You have not yet learned this set of basics yourself as far as I am aware. And considering you are an above average player I would say this is a problem
Blodir
Contributor

Has liked: 489 times
Been liked: 535 times
FAF User Name: Snowbound

Postby Morax » 06 Sep 2016, 22:41

Blodir wrote:
Morax wrote:
Blodir wrote:People with high amount of games will have a rough build order figured out for every map anyways and gain an immense advantage that way over people with less experience

Yeah but eventually people will realize there is a good set of basics that can be followed everywhere, learn the small differences per each map, and then gain the ability to innovate and become a good player.

The small map pool restricts the development of players and that irks me beyond belief as we are in desperate need of people to stop being crap at this game.

You have not yet learned this set of basics yourself as far as I am aware. And considering you are an above average player I would say this is a problem

Yes because you and speed2 have zero patience and judge a book by its cover so you can stfu for all I care.

Thanks for making this thread a troll fest, ass.
Maps and Modifications Councilor

M&M Discord Channel

Come join us and help create content with the artists of FAF.
Morax
Councillor - Maps and Mods

Has liked: 1167 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: Morax

Postby Cheva » 07 Sep 2016, 01:37

Besides being busy why has no one mentioned one of the strongest themes around?

FEAR

Fear of playing against others for the first time.

Fear of team games where your team harassed you for making a mistake.

Fear of the rating system and how people disrespect you based on a number that causes more harm than good.

Fear of playing others and realizing you are not as good as you thought.

Fear of new maps which expose your flaws as a player.

Fear of team stacks which promote bashing of players.

Fear of the economy system and how they game is played at a higher level.

Fear of seeing new players become better than you.

Fear of aeolus and the criticism it brings when you make a mistake.

Fear of people being better than you even if you lose 100% of the games you don't play.

Chevalier
"Mieux vaut savoir que richesse. "
Cheva
Contributor

Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 49 times
FAF User Name: Chevalier

Postby Lieutenant Lich » 07 Sep 2016, 02:41

You can avoid stacked games by quitting the lobby if you see that the host is not planning to balance anything. Don't fear #aeolus, just ignore it when the comments turn from constructive to mean and poorly based insults.

Team behavior could indeed be better, that's true.

Fear of new maps... Well, the more maps you can play and perform about the same, the better you are because you know more environments. Of course, you can create a certain build order that fits all maps of a certain kind

Spoiler: show
Cheva wrote:Fear of ... how people disrespect you based on a number that causes more harm than good.
Remind your of something, Koopa?
Don't complain about that which you aren't willing to change.

My mod:
viewtopic.php?f=67&t=12864
Lieutenant Lich
Evaluator

Has liked: 992 times
Been liked: 818 times

Postby TheKoopa » 07 Sep 2016, 03:15

Yes, he means that he hates being hated on for playing bad for his rating.

You spam the forums with your balance ideas
Feather: I am usually pretty good in judging people's abilities, intelligence and motives

Evildrew: Just because I didnt choose you for my team last year doesnt give you the right to be all bitchy and negative about my proposal
TheKoopa
Contributor

Has liked: 172 times
Been liked: 225 times
FAF User Name: Gently-

Postby Voodoo » 07 Sep 2016, 09:30

Cheva wrote:FEAR

That is a reason why I love this game. A lot of people are afraid of me. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Voodoo

Has liked: 251 times
Been liked: 344 times
FAF User Name: Voodoo

Postby BRNKoINSANITY » 07 Sep 2016, 13:10

Playing the same game too much burned out all the joy I used to have in FA

Everything that is broken

Really strange balance descisions coming down the pipeline that take away a lot of the reason I play this game

Drastic increases in the number of absolutely poisonous people and attitudes

Stepping out of the afore-mentioned cult like atmosphere that surrounds this place (at least from the most vocal people) and looking at it objectively, and not wanting to be a part of it
BRNKoINSANITY
Evaluator

Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 207 times
FAF User Name: BRNKoINSANITY

Postby nine2 » 07 Sep 2016, 13:30

Morax wrote:Plain and simple, state why you are no longer regularly playing FAF.

+1 there are a bunch of mega idiots in the community
nine2
Councillor - Promotion

Has liked: 285 times
Been liked: 515 times
FAF User Name: Anihilnine

Postby KeyBlue » 07 Sep 2016, 13:34

BRNKoINSANITY wrote:
Really strange balance descisions coming down the pipeline that take away a lot of the reason I play this game

Could you elaborate on this?

I can't immediatly see how balance affects the reason you play FA, unless you play only 1 strategy (or several) and now that strategy (or all of them) got nerfed to being completely not viable. And you don't like playing any other strategy.

EDIT: Maybe the reason is that you already know almost everything now and you don't want to relearn the way you play?
KeyBlue
Priest

Has liked: 140 times
Been liked: 93 times
FAF User Name: KeyBlue

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions