Why did you stop playing FAF regularly?

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

Re: Why did you stop playing FAF regularly?

Postby NapSpan » 03 Sep 2016, 00:06

Tanksy wrote:Just reading that wiki article confused me, But I think I get the general idea of the system.

As I understand it: it is just assuming your skill level and assuming the outcome before it happens; based on a deviation shown in your performance accross several games.. ?

So basically you can start off as a great player, or a really bad player, but either way you'll reach a point where the system thinks it has you sussed; guesses your performance will be "between this and that" and says that due to statistical unlikelyness, you'll not be awarded/punished with a higher/lower rating. All in all, eventually you'll reach a point where the system has capped your skill level based on the "Deviation" calculated, and you can only go downhill from there.

Correct me if I'm reading it wrongly.

Well, if you start consuming crack and change your nationality to be korean, your skill level can improve above that point, but yes, you get the idea.
We have "Continentals" so moving shit around must be important.
NapSpan

Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 61 times
FAF User Name: NapSpan

Postby Tanksy » 03 Sep 2016, 01:42

But this ignores the simple fact that there will always be people better than you that you can conquer and triumph. It refuses the idea that you might have a great game and overcome a top class player, purely based on it being "unlikely"..
Tanksy

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 14 times

Postby TheKoopa » 03 Sep 2016, 05:48

NapSpan wrote:
Tanksy wrote:Just reading that wiki article confused me, But I think I get the general idea of the system.

As I understand it: it is just assuming your skill level and assuming the outcome before it happens; based on a deviation shown in your performance accross several games.. ?

So basically you can start off as a great player, or a really bad player, but either way you'll reach a point where the system thinks it has you sussed; guesses your performance will be "between this and that" and says that due to statistical unlikelyness, you'll not be awarded/punished with a higher/lower rating. All in all, eventually you'll reach a point where the system has capped your skill level based on the "Deviation" calculated, and you can only go downhill from there.

Well, if you start consuming crack and change your nationality to be korean, your skill level can improve above that point, but yes, you get the idea.

German*
Feather: I am usually pretty good in judging people's abilities, intelligence and motives

Evildrew: Just because I didnt choose you for my team last year doesnt give you the right to be all bitchy and negative about my proposal
TheKoopa
Contributor

Has liked: 172 times
Been liked: 225 times
FAF User Name: Gently-

Postby Gorton » 03 Sep 2016, 06:32

Yes, you are.

It thinks it has you understood, but always changes your deviation and mean based on last game, so you're going to settle in a place near where you are, and change from there, just slower.
Which makes sense, as you're unlikely to jump in skill / drop in skill a large amount in a few games.

and says that due to statistical unlikelyness, you'll not be awarded/punished with a higher/lower rating.

Reread that. It makes no sense, and I have no idea how you even came up with it.
"who is this guy, he didnt play gpg or what?" - RA_ZLO

*FAF Moderator*
Gorton
Councillor - Moderation

Has liked: 1067 times
Been liked: 455 times
FAF User Name: Gorton

Postby Tanksy » 03 Sep 2016, 16:26

I mean, It goes on the statistical unlikelyness that you will have one amazing game compared to your deviation -- So it doesn't reward you. But on the flip side, it doesn't think you'll do a terrible game either so it doesn't punish you by much if you do.

Right?
Tanksy

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 14 times

Postby TheKoopa » 04 Sep 2016, 05:33

From what I've heard the faf system does something retarded and flat out adds a flat amount to your deviation after each game
Feather: I am usually pretty good in judging people's abilities, intelligence and motives

Evildrew: Just because I didnt choose you for my team last year doesnt give you the right to be all bitchy and negative about my proposal
TheKoopa
Contributor

Has liked: 172 times
Been liked: 225 times
FAF User Name: Gently-

Postby SpoCk0nd0pe » 05 Sep 2016, 12:20

So far, I didn't play much but I lost motivation fairly quickly.

Currently, the FAF balance really needs some work. Zock is doing a good job at enhancing things. Far too many people think the idea that a faction is strictly better at certain tech levels is an inherent trait of FA. I think it's just poor balance.

I have been really really good at another RTS, so I'm used to playing on a very high level. Since the game is so old and the community so much against shaking things up, I'm just too lazy to catch up and learn the complex BOs required for a working FA eco.

Having to rely on strange exploits like factory attack move does not make things easier. Factory attack move requires some experience to use right. Even worse: If you are a noob and overflowing stuff, the engies will loose their command. The game seriously needs area commands, something Homeworld has since '99.

Which leads to community attitude: I remember reading in the area commands thread that people complained about the feature with really poor arguments. Same as with the latest patch changes. There are some very loud Chewbaccas in the community who just don't like change. They get personal, hinder development and try to generally bash people.
SpoCk0nd0pe

Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 37 times
FAF User Name: SpoCk0nd0pe

Postby biass » 05 Sep 2016, 12:29

If you're still looking to play and would like some advice, hit me up^
Map thread: https://bit.ly/2PBsa5H

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Has liked: 598 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: biass

Postby Voodoo » 05 Sep 2016, 14:38

SpoCk0nd0pe wrote:I'm just too lazy to catch up and learn the complex BOs required for a working FA eco.

That is exactly the point. You need a good bo for all maps. Thats why I'm against a large ladder map pool. So you have to check like 10 replays for each map, to look up a good bo for yourself. Then you have to learn this bo and yeah that is horrible for new players but even old players have to do this when a new map finds his way into the pool.

I also don't want to learn new maps/bos but as I played over 30.000 games, I normally just need a look at the map to see where is the reclaim and how can I use it but even then a good player would beat me with a better build order.

But there is no "easy way". I can understand that you give up fast as the game is old but I would be happy if you try it again. :)
Voodoo

Has liked: 251 times
Been liked: 344 times
FAF User Name: Voodoo

Postby dstojkov » 05 Sep 2016, 15:19

well the topic is pretty wide ....

I guess the balance orientation that punish every other strategy but map control to win made it for me

I still have to bring argument in chat for ppl to make them understand that is exactly why 3599 was so beloved and played ... You HAD a choice on how you want to win a game i.e : eco , tech rush, snipe, drop etc .... depending on that you could adapt your BO for this unique purpose and not depending on the map. Some say this is still possible now ... for those i will answer this is possible in the context that you already and ONLY if you have the upper hand, thus, in fact, NOT possible

Some unit were strong in the context of being rushed. Now this is not anymore possible ... there is no way to stealth the win to someone who already took the map control. In sort the game has becoming "one way" thinking/playing thus boring since there is almost no surprise and no suddenly coming back that could even make ppl happy to watch the replay

Regards
dstojkov
Evaluator

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 24 times

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions