Why did you stop playing FAF regularly?

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

Re: Why did you stop playing FAF regularly?

Postby AdmiralZeech » 29 Aug 2016, 16:32

I never really played FAF in the first place, just here to see how things are going.

But I recently re-installed and played some skirmish games, and discovered how much I suck now.

The effort required in learning how to play again has put me off when there's a stack of other games sitting in my queue.
AdmiralZeech
Priest

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 62 times

Postby tatsu » 29 Aug 2016, 21:42

theeggroll wrote:2) ladder rating is often stupid. I was 1400 and beat a 1600, then lost to him, and I had a net of -5 points. That makes 0 sense to me

yeah this happens all too often.

and it shouldn't matter that data is being sent to the server and score comes back days later. Trueskill can be applied for instantaneous results and it should be applied that way.
tatsu
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 1952 times
Been liked: 171 times
FAF User Name: tatsu

Postby alfmas » 30 Aug 2016, 01:27

1) Players asking for +1k games
i know they are on a high level, but we are not all +1k
Even if someone creates a +800 games and you are a 700, they kick you like if you have aids.

2) lag problems between 2 players

3) ranking
Yesterday i played like 12 games, and it counted as 1. Always the same story...
alfmas
Crusader

Been liked: 1 time
FAF User Name: Only_Desert

Postby fetterfool » 30 Aug 2016, 18:36

Quant wrote:I love playing vs Fatso

<3
fetterfool
Crusader

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1 time
FAF User Name: fetterfool

Postby Morax » 30 Aug 2016, 19:41

I'm on a paintball team, have a gf, work full-time, and i do many many other things...

I think it's odd people are having to dedicate so much time to "work," esp in Europe where the working hours are strictly limited to 8 or less.

As for the server issues and leadership, yeah I don't like it right now either. visionik really needs to listen to community members and understand we don't like a lot of what is going on. It should be bad enough that no one plays weekly tournaments and the clan war was a total flop.

We shall see....

I'll keep playing regularly as much I can and am always happy to do 1v1 custom games. I am refusing to play ladder until the calculations are fixed.
Maps and Modifications Councilor

M&M Discord Channel

Come join us and help create content with the artists of FAF.
Morax
Councillor - Maps and Mods

Has liked: 1167 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: Morax

Postby ax0lotl » 30 Aug 2016, 21:45

Morax wrote:I think it's odd people are having to dedicate so much time to "work,"

Point is that there is a natural turnover of players. Some people may play less after a while, but new ones should replace them.
In my case the job does not make me have zero time to play anymore, but if I already am sitting the whole day at my desk and work is demanding, then to play FA all evening is not always the best idea.
"Job" means that that reason for playing less, is not related to the state of FAF.

In my opinion FAF was better under ZeP. But that appeared not sustainable and when ZeP pulled the plug, that was a disaster. I am grateful that others took over.

I can get annoyed when rating (global) is not calculated correctly again, that the replay vault still does not show the right win/loss, when again there is a disconnect in the game, etc. But since I am a casual player, for me those annoyances are not big reasons to play less.
ax0lotl

Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 35 times
FAF User Name: ax0lotl

Postby Morax » 30 Aug 2016, 22:36

There is definitely truth to sitting at work all day then home sucking. I always go exercise for awhile in between, if I do. I don't play much during the week spare 1-2 games (~1-1.5 hrs) and mostly am a weekend warrior.

Host global/custom games rather ladder, which seems to calculate somewhat more reasonably than ladder.
Maps and Modifications Councilor

M&M Discord Channel

Come join us and help create content with the artists of FAF.
Morax
Councillor - Maps and Mods

Has liked: 1167 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: Morax

Postby Inquisitor » 30 Aug 2016, 23:02

-IRL stuff
-Trying to play ladder is a nightmare (Bugs, getting matched against noobs, and being forced to play maps that I consider shit). Its just a waste of time.
-Imposible to play teamgames. People always play the same 10 maps. Also, its almost imposible to get 3v3 or 4v4 for +1600 rating players, because there arent enough good players around. So if I want to play, I have to play with noobs (AKA av. joes), which gives me, literally, cancer.
-And on top of that, a patch with a few points that are absolutely horrible.
Inquisitor
Crusader

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 11 times
FAF User Name: Inquisitor

Postby Zoram » 31 Aug 2016, 00:20

Morax wrote:I'm on a paintball team, have a gf, work full-time, and i do many many other things...

I think it's odd people are having to dedicate so much time to "work," esp in Europe where the working hours are strictly limited to 8 or less.

you have a weird image of Europe. This is absolutely not true,and I'm French. We have longer days, and way more holidays to compensate, for a big part of the active population anyway. Being at work at 7pm is not abnormal. (and there's a bit of a long-hour working culture issue still). Now Try London, long hours, and no extra days off to compensate ....

sorry for off topic
Zoram
Priest

Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 111 times
FAF User Name: zoram

Postby Tanksy » 31 Aug 2016, 21:49

@Zoram - Can confirm. Worked 7-7 shifts regularly.

@Thread - I used to play on FAF for some fun team games and modded games, but was put off by varied reasons;
- The arrogance of many community members and staff members,
- The fact that FAF is used as DRM for the Nomads mod.
- The rank system was fundemantally broken.
I doubt I'd come and give it another try due to;
- The people running FAF try and discourage the use of Steam matchmaking -- or probably any other matchmaking service should one exist.
- Disapproving of people using the FAF vaults as repositories for maps/mods to play on Steam -- further solidifying the walls between communities.
- The ladder system FAF uses is supposedly highly limited ( At least for maps. )
- Patch after Patch has caused people/mods problems. I've heard that the patches are also much less based on community input than is told, being more based on the lead guy's opinions and discussion for changes to the changes are often shut down even if it's an obviously required change -- Much like the "OpenRA" patches.
- The people in charge of FAF don't understand how important they are to keep the entire FA community going as a whole, and in the cases of things like modding and map making they expect things to be done to their standards, as if everything will find its way to the FAF file vaults.

FAF is one of if not the only up to date place to get mods and maps for FA these days -- Hell I would go as far as saying FAF is the only real FA community left. Nexusmods only holds a very very small portion of files saved from Filefront and absolutely no community; Moddb has barely any new content that isn't left over from GPG days and again, no community; Steam has literally no community outside of direct matchmaking or the guides, and no files whatsoever, no workshop support or anything.

A lot of what I've heard from others can be pretty much confirmed by just browsing some of the threads and seeing some of the community conversation for myself. At this point FAF should be opening its arms to community and trying to keep the game afloat. Instead there's a cult like feeling about it that puts me and others off from really joining in discussions.
Tanksy

Been liked: 14 times

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions