Why did you stop playing FAF regularly?

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

Re: Why did you stop playing FAF regularly?

Postby SpoCk0nd0pe » 03 Feb 2017, 05:13

Memhave wrote:Do you not believe that players should be ASKED before they want the integration of x mod? There was a time when ZePilot would ask and provide choices (such a surveys and such) regarding balances, issues or map pools.

Despite you thinking otherwise there actually were surveys about some things and big polls about others. The way things are handled in FAF is generally agreed upon by the player base. If you want to contribute to balance, learn how to criticise constructively and invest time into balance testing. Contributing is generally a good idea if you want to influence where things are heading. The people actually doing the work will not poll every tiny decision because nobody would want to work like that and besides, grassroots democracy doesn't work.
SpoCk0nd0pe

Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 37 times
FAF User Name: SpoCk0nd0pe

Postby TheKoopa » 03 Feb 2017, 05:29

Good thing balance is not decided using phantoms
Feather: I am usually pretty good in judging people's abilities, intelligence and motives

Evildrew: Just because I didnt choose you for my team last year doesnt give you the right to be all bitchy and negative about my proposal
TheKoopa
Contributor

Has liked: 172 times
Been liked: 225 times
FAF User Name: Gently-

Postby IceDreamer » 03 Feb 2017, 05:31

The way things work have not changed, at all. Maybe back end regarding issues sure, but there is still very little communication, issue that are in the game and have been for a VERY long time are STILL in the game. What is the point with adding new units, changing how things work when players are STILL struggling to connect to each other?

Because the two are completely unrelated, and are worked on by different people. If the people with the time to spend on the project are the people who's skillsets are limited to working on game code and maps, that's what you get. Connectivity is considerably more complex, considerably more time consuming, and, by the way, considerably more reliable now than in the past. A major undertaking the past 9 months has been development of a new connection protocol which should alleviate yet another of the more common connection issues (In this case, a subset of firewall configurations). You'll also need to accept that sometimes, rarely I would hope (it's 2017 people!), one or more players simply has a shite connection, and it's never going to happen.

Then you have failed to read. I realise that it is incredibly difficult to moderate and enforce what mods and scripts use - which is a double sided sword. I only want hotbuild gone because all scripts must go, it is near impossible to allow one, but not the other unless I am mistaken (as its mostly client side). FYI There are other programs that can help you rebind keys outside of supcom."

HotBuild is no longer a mod.
HotBuild is not a script in the sense you use the term.
HotBuild is available to all players, all the time. It is part of the game.

The fact that you don't know this, what it is, how it works, or how it compares to its equal in every other game shows the depth of the research you're going to need to do to continue this line of argument.

Please give some examples, because it is very difficult for me not to liken this to EcoManager. "I don't want to powerstall" - Ecomanager will efficiently not power stall you. Try a different example so I can see it from your side.

EcoManager is one I struggle with myself, at least for some of its functions. I am not sure quite where I stand on the Fab Management to be perfectly honest. It seems... Wrong, to me, stepping over that grey line into cheating. The argument can be made (and some certainly do) that "Don't let my Fabs powerstall me" fits my "Make a player's decision easier to make happen", but it's only a short jump from that to "Don't let my Fabs, Radar, and Factories powerstall me", and from there to powerstall no longer being a part of the game... This, I think, is your fear, and I completely agree with you.

For me personally, I object to that argument because I think that's too large-scale a decision. The flip side from my perspective is that it's a UI mod, meaning one player can have it while another may not. I think it's the lesser of two evils to make some compromises, to a point, in order to level that playing field. Mass Fabs are the best place to do this, firstly because they're barely used at present thanks to the way they can crash your economy if you're not very careful, and secondly because if I were to allow Fabs to auto-toggle, I could remove the manual toggle without many complaints. In other words, I could successfully level the field. When it comes to the further parts of mods which have anti-powerstall code (Toggling intel structures and factories), these are units which a player has to be able to interact with: QED - It's not possible to prevent these UI mods existing.

I will now give you some examples of scripts/mods I'd like in the main game because they decrease thought-action latency without making a decision for the player:

Spread Command: Thought - "I want to attack these targets at the same time in a carpet-style attack". Previously you had to be either very, very fast, or else number your 'squads' and flick through them quickly. Now you still have to manually click each individual target, but splitting the order becomes a single command.

Notify's resource sharing: Thought - "I want to send emergency resources to player X who just requested them". Currently, this involves a click, looking for the player's name, dragging a slider, and a second click. Now, just click the right place and it sends the resources.

Target painters: Thought - "I'm wanting to do a shift-G attack against many targets". Currently you have to manually queue. Not so bad if there's a dozen, but what if you want your bomber sweep to kill every unit in a 100-strong land force as efficiently as possible? With a painter, the player still makes the decision "These are the units I want selected for destruction", but it becomes a less tedious job.

Better strategic icon management: Thought - "WTF is going on right now? What needs my attention? Is my SMD loaded?". The strategic icons exist purely to give a player a lot of data in a short timespan. That's why they have indicators for tech level, unit type, different shapes. Some of the design decisions of the original team weren't great. Part of what makes a great RTS UI (Or really any UI) is getting the relevant information to the player as efficiently as possible. So some good examples would be making SMD/SML stand out a little more, give yours and your allies SMD/SML/TML a little number above them to easily see how many are in the clip, Another nice idea I've seen is for idle engineers and factories (Which already show up as idle on the right panel!) to... Flash, or change colour or something, to let you know "Here I am, give me something to do!". This is a great example, again, of the whole "Level playing field" argument. It is impossible to prevent people from modifying their strategic icons, so the logical course of action is to make the default that everyone has good enough, and useful enough, that barely anyone feels the need to any more.
IceDreamer
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 488 times

Postby JoonasTo » 03 Feb 2017, 06:24

I started playing Setons
JoonasTo
Priest

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 81 times
FAF User Name: JoonasTo

Re: rip thread

Postby biass » 03 Feb 2017, 06:36

Why the hek are you feeding this dstojkov with more moral self attributed superiority.

Look, i agree with some of the community (2, 5) points but this forum has gone through so many scrubs bringing up uninformed, bogus points that the regulars _should_ be asking for some kind of thing to back these claims up instead of jumping on the machine gun turrets to shoot down some obvious cancers

Memhave wrote: They are decided by spamming asf, patrolling them and then getting game-enders.

Like really dude? I would like to see some kind of ladder game on a 10km map where this happens but i can only watch so many low rated 1v1's in a day.. (Lets not talk about the appeal to authority at the end)

Burden of proof is on you Memhave to back up your points so that people who read them don't just laugh at you
and dont tarnish trumps nice slogan to try and act like some kind of outsider, at least trump could back his points up with knowledge and expertise
Map thread: https://bit.ly/2PBsa5H

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Has liked: 598 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: biass

Postby PhilipJFry » 03 Feb 2017, 15:00

still not 100% sure if memhave is just pretending to be special.
maybe a mod can just move this entire crap to a new thread and title it "alternative facts"?
cats>dogs
post logs
PhilipJFry
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 232 times
Been liked: 348 times
FAF User Name: PhilipJFry

Postby speed2 » 03 Feb 2017, 15:04

Everything important was said 10 pages ago and now we're caught again in the endless loop of balance and ui mods which got discussed several times ago with the same result.
speed2
Contributor

Has liked: 636 times
Been liked: 1119 times
FAF User Name: speed2

Postby Gorton » 03 Feb 2017, 16:27

Memhave wrote:1. Moderation team - When you messaged a moderator on Aeolus chances you wont get a reply.

All I have to say is that if you have a real complaint, please make it instead of whining somewhere that won't help.
No response? Screenshot it and the timestamp.
Any other problems? Screenshot it.
Then pm me or the mod team.

speed2 wrote:Everything important was said 10 pages ago and now we're caught again in the endless loop of balance and ui mods which got discussed several times ago with the same result.

Very true.
Sorry for offtopic.
"who is this guy, he didnt play gpg or what?" - RA_ZLO

*FAF Moderator*
Gorton
Councillor - Moderation

Has liked: 1067 times
Been liked: 455 times
FAF User Name: Gorton

Previous

Return to General Discussions