Why did you stop playing FAF regularly?

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

Re: Why did you stop playing FAF regularly?

Postby Morax » 11 Jan 2017, 23:36

I think a lot of ya are being close-minded as you are only focusing on RTS games. I play battlefield 1 as well and it is far more pleasing to play a game where the lag is nearly nonexistent, stats are properly reported, etc, etc.

As far as RTS goes, yes, this is probably the best one and etc, but for people who don't play or are casual in RTS, coming into this one with its flaws and horrible lag is just "what are you kidding me?"

You have to really be die-hard passionate to push through and play a game like this one when it functions the way it does. I don't experience these ailments in any other game I play so it does get to me and I always question why I bother to do so.

Maybe in time we will make a giant hurdle over those issues, but no, it is not an easy game to learn, there is much progress needed, barely any new maps are made that are good (well, give CookieNoob credit for nice adaptive maps). It's just ridiculous to think why someone who is not clawing at the door to play an RTS would get into this game.

We have a good enough population to hang on and support it thought, but per this thread's read-through it is clear no one is going to dedicate too much time nor invest in it like some other newer platform or IRL thing.
Maps and Modifications Councilor

M&M Discord Channel

Come join us and help create content with the artists of FAF.
Morax
Councillor - Maps and Mods

Has liked: 1167 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: Morax

Postby Gorton » 12 Jan 2017, 01:51

Morax wrote:You have to really be die-hard passionate

You're always way too dramatic, Morax.
"who is this guy, he didnt play gpg or what?" - RA_ZLO

*FAF Moderator*
Gorton
Councillor - Moderation

Has liked: 1067 times
Been liked: 455 times
FAF User Name: Gorton

Postby Morax » 12 Jan 2017, 02:13

Oh screw off you british punk. You took that out of context :P
Maps and Modifications Councilor

M&M Discord Channel

Come join us and help create content with the artists of FAF.
Morax
Councillor - Maps and Mods

Has liked: 1167 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: Morax

Postby Sovietpride » 12 Jan 2017, 02:16

Morax wrote:Oh screw off you british punk. You took that out of context :P

Oh, I say...
Sovietpride

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 109 times
FAF User Name: Sovietpride

Postby Tanksy » 12 Jan 2017, 13:08

I find the basics of SupCom to be really easy to learn, anyone can really do it. I managed to teach my girlfriend to play it and within a few games she already has her own playstyle and kicks my arse at it. It's just a hard game to really master, because you have to really think strategically rather than just building X amount of Y units and sending them in hoping to just plow through. There are counters for almost everything -- so a good player will always have a response to the current situation.

I think SupCom is one of, if not the ultimate "favorite game of all time". The theme, the gameplay, the kickass sounds and music.. All SupCom needs is a wee engine tune, some optimizing and updating so it can run like a wet dream and it'll be the greatest game ever created on the planet. SupCom is a game that I'll always come back to and enjoy a few rounds of gigantic robot destruction with my friends. I can't say the same about those time-limited cash-cow games like Triple-A FPS games that servers will slowly just die out and be moved on to the latest iteration of boring "shoot guy in face" sims. SupCom is a Timeless classic, much like Age of Empires, Age of Wonders, HoMM, Halo CE, Quake, Doom 1/2, etc..
Tanksy

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 14 times

Postby Gorton » 12 Jan 2017, 19:01

So I was asked to provide a proper answer.

My answer to morax's post therefore is : bollocks.

Of course the game would be more attractive if the UI was improved, if features entirely worked. No one can dispute that.

What I do dispute is the idea that people have to be

You have to really be die-hard passionate

To play the game. Thousands of people play the game every month in casual games, mostly uncommunicative with anyone they don't play with. This is exactly the same as people who play "competitively" - people play the game at a higher level, they don't generally associate with the people that are , for example, average 500 rated.

Ignoring these people as you don't interact with them in any meaningful way doesn't mean they don't exist.
"who is this guy, he didnt play gpg or what?" - RA_ZLO

*FAF Moderator*
Gorton
Councillor - Moderation

Has liked: 1067 times
Been liked: 455 times
FAF User Name: Gorton

Postby Memhave » 02 Feb 2017, 20:24

1. Moderation team - When you messaged a moderator on Aeolus chances you wont get a reply.

2. Quality of moderation - More inconsistent than trying to find a ladder game. Some rules are enforced, some are not. Moderation team has obvious favourites (usually within their own clans).

3. People sucking "pro"players ****, its constant and disallows any suggestion or conversation.

4.0. Balance - Its completely ******. The amount of strategies available now and those that were available in the patch after 3599 is like comparing a puddle to an ocean.

4.1 "Community Balance / Council of Setons" players are doing a really bad job of balancing the game. They dont know what they are doing, and they keep publishing patch after patch. Air has been completely dominant after the ASF changes. Air snipes are stupidly hard to do due to SAM changes etc. ASF change was for performance reasons. It didnt help and it wasnt repealed or fixed.

4.2 I loved Phantoms, due to the buffs RAS and sACUs have had, phantom is just mega turtle spam. Nobody knows how to play Phantoms because thats what they do, theres no psychological games anymore, its either rush exp and hope other Phantom joins you or spam sACUs.

4.3 Seraphim are in awful spot. The aim of the game these days is to rush to T3 ASAP. There are hardly any naval maps that are good or played. Sera has weak Air & Land comparably.

4.4 Setons is easily the worst shit to ever happen to FAF. I like Setons, but it is so over played its worse than Dust 2 or turtle rock. "Council of Setons" is a joke, just like the map.

5. The only reason why new moderators are even moderators is because they stuck around, not because they are impartial, diplomatic or even close to what a moderator should be.

6. Smurfs - As much as everybody riles about smurfs and boasts about the "anti-smurfing" "tech", its extremely clear that most if not all "pro" players in this community smurf. If you point this out, nobody gets banned - because its an "alt" account. Give me a break.

7. Mods/Scripts a lot of mods or scripts are seriously lowering the skill level and competitiveness of the game. Auto-OC, ecomanager etc. Any game moderator/developer worth their salt would have banned these from their conception. They are cheats. They are not acceptable to run in game. You may say - "Oh you can download them too", anybody can download aimbots, ragehacks or wallhacks does not mean they are not cheats - get ******.

8. Oh and Bombers not being reliable and bomber micro abuse. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Edit - If I could I would have ZePilot take over again and roll back to 3599 and go from there. Even though he was a dictator there were WAY less problems (ESPECIALLY connection issues) under his dictatorship than what **** we've got now.
If there is anything else I will add it. Feel free to rage/criticise/respond, or as Mods do, delete/warn/ban at your own disposition.
Last edited by Memhave on 02 Feb 2017, 20:47, edited 1 time in total.
Memhave
Crusader

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 3 times

Postby SpoCk0nd0pe » 02 Feb 2017, 20:39

Memhave wrote:The aim of the game these days is to rush to T3 ASAP.

Along other "in the bast some things where different and everything better" BS, I play this game regularly for 4 weeks now and I know this is not true at all.
SpoCk0nd0pe

Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 37 times
FAF User Name: SpoCk0nd0pe

Postby Memhave » 02 Feb 2017, 20:44

SpoCk0nd0pe wrote:
Memhave wrote:The aim of the game these days is to rush to T3 ASAP.

Along other "in the bast some things where different and everything better" BS, I play this game regularly for 4 weeks now and I know this is not true at all.

Then unfortunately you have not played long enough.

Sure 1v1 and sometimes 2v2 will be won at t1 or t2 level but in anything bigger (and thats 80% of games these days) you go t3 and play from there. I do agree that there are some skirmishes and such but most games arent decided by clever zthuee/lobo drops, com drops or creative scout micro. They are decided by spamming asf, patrolling them and then getting game-enders.

I've played very on and off for at least 4 years.
Memhave
Crusader

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 3 times

Postby PhilipJFry » 02 Feb 2017, 21:11

maybe you should try to read changelogs before posting so much nonsense
cats>dogs
post logs
PhilipJFry
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 232 times
Been liked: 348 times
FAF User Name: PhilipJFry

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions