Why did you stop playing FAF regularly?

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

Re: Why did you stop playing FAF regularly?

Postby TheKoopa » 03 Jan 2017, 22:16

Feather: I am usually pretty good in judging people's abilities, intelligence and motives

Evildrew: Just because I didnt choose you for my team last year doesnt give you the right to be all bitchy and negative about my proposal
TheKoopa
Contributor

Has liked: 172 times
Been liked: 225 times
FAF User Name: Gently-

Postby Morax » 04 Jan 2017, 00:24

JoonasTo wrote:But supcom is easier to play than any other RTS so getting people who don't have 200 apm(anyone not RTS player) into it is way easier.

APM to me, is not what makes Supp Comm difficult, but more-so the ability to focus on all the things going on at once, know how to use all the units, and general perception. Most of the "apm" accredited in this game is due to those things, and they ARE NOT easy.
Maps and Modifications Councilor

M&M Discord Channel

Come join us and help create content with the artists of FAF.
Morax
Councillor - Maps and Mods

Has liked: 1167 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: Morax

Postby JoonasTo » 04 Jan 2017, 15:43

It's exactly why this game is easy.
If I take my friend to SC2, he needs to have 80 apm to be able to play protoss properly, way more with terran, not to mention zerg.
If he doesn't have at least 120, I won't even consider suggesting C&C3.
AoE? At least 100.
BW? 120.

For FAF? 20 is fine. I play most of my games under 70.
Takes a few games to teach someone a BO. Five games to teach them a playstyle and bam, they're 1000. From that point onwards they develop on their own because it's fun to play for them.

How do you teach someone how to play C&C3 when they have 20 apm? You tell them to grind hotkeys, BOs for hours and hours and hours. After that they reach 40 apm. Developing onwards from that? Yeah, just grind more. Mechanics are very, very hard to learn.

If I had to pick one problem with FAF it would be the hidden stats that you can't see anywhere. And it's stuff you mostly run into when you're 1500+.
JoonasTo
Priest

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 81 times
FAF User Name: JoonasTo

Postby lilSidlil » 04 Jan 2017, 16:58

I was not fair banned.
lilSidlil

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 73 times
FAF User Name: lilSidlil

Postby TheKoopa » 04 Jan 2017, 17:07

You know exactly why you were banned
Feather: I am usually pretty good in judging people's abilities, intelligence and motives

Evildrew: Just because I didnt choose you for my team last year doesnt give you the right to be all bitchy and negative about my proposal
TheKoopa
Contributor

Has liked: 172 times
Been liked: 225 times
FAF User Name: Gently-

Postby Mad`Mozart » 04 Jan 2017, 17:12

Hmmm this reminds me, with visionik gone will Lame be unbanned? :D
Mad`Mozart
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby sasin » 05 Jan 2017, 03:18

Mad`Mozart wrote:Hmmm this reminds me, with visionik gone will Lame be unbanned? :D

Lame got banned!? I was wondering what happened to him :).
sasin
Priest

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 43 times
FAF User Name: sasin

Postby Flynn » 11 Jan 2017, 00:25

Morax wrote:Supp Comm is such a complicated game barely anyone is willing to learn how to play it, coupled with the fact that the game and server are suffering greatly from functionality it is not really a good thing to get into for most people.

We are quite lucky to have the folks we do...

It also certainly does not help that most of the people that play the game are on 7+ year-old PCs that bog down game speed. It seems Supp Comm and FAF are a poor man's solution to not being able to play newer games.

I think it is nice to note though that some new faces like Farmsletje and Peplomord (still WIP but improving quick) are making a nice impact at least in the team game scene.

Keep at it folks and stick around... even if we don't grow that much I think this community will always be fun.

That is

1. Insulting to SupCom, which isn't an old game

2. Insulting to the efforts of the people who maintain FAF

3. Insulting to FAF players

I am surprised that you are so negative about SupCom and FAF. I built my PC specifically for SupCom in 2013, it is a beast, so SupCom is not a "poor man's solution" to anything :x

So name some new RTS games that hold even so much as a candle to SupCom? You can't, because there aren't.

Btw TA is now 20 and just as good as it was when it was 1.

JoonasTo wrote:But supcom is easier to play than any other RTS so getting people who don't have 200 apm(anyone not RTS player) into it is way easier.

Not sure if srs? :?

lextoc wrote:This game is way more active than most games this age. You can check Steam's statistics somewhere on average players online each day or something like that. Look that up and you'll notice how weird it is this game is still going so strong.

Why is it weird? It is the DE FACTO strategy game.
Flynn
Evaluator

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 8 times
FAF User Name: Flynn

Postby rxnnxs » 11 Jan 2017, 13:10

I play again because equilibrium is out!
rxnnxs
Priest

Has liked: 92 times
Been liked: 24 times
FAF User Name: rxnnxs

Postby Nepty » 11 Jan 2017, 23:28

That's a good joke right there. Supcom is a highly complicated game compared to any other RTS.

IE: One unit dies (aka the ACU) , you lose.
Failed attacks = you just paid your enemy.
Buildig too much quickly = stalled economy.

To new a player it's hell. They would need to take classes and lessons before fighting a human player, I recommend it.

New player: "Why I lost?"
You stalled economy, you didn't have AA, You didn't reclaim, You forgot tactical defense, You didn't scout, you didn't expand, you forgot energy storage, you didn't get air, you lost air, you forgot about navy, you gave enemy too much mass, you didn't spam, you didn't tech up fast enough, you didn't have point defense, you didn't use walls correctly, you forgot nuke defense, you left com exposed, etc, etc, or etc...

A new player have to cover and remember a lot. I've been playing 7+ years and I still forget important things like scouting. Knowledge is power, or should I say intelligence. It's a good way to prepare a counter, and strategize an attack...
Nepty

Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 56 times
FAF User Name: Sapphire

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions