Diary of a Noob

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

Re: Diary of a Noob

Postby biass » 16 Nov 2016, 13:03

Hmm no, while you are upgrading, your tanks are not obsolete yet!

of course, if you dont "need" to spend the mass on tanks, you can make instead some engineers to assist the upgrade, the more you can put on the better

And for the second part, i prefer to have 2 or 3 or so factories on tech level with moderate assistance, it stops path-finding fails, and stops your engineers all getting killed by one bomb :P
Map thread: https://bit.ly/2PBsa5H

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Has liked: 598 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: biass

Postby TheKoopa » 16 Nov 2016, 15:12

I think biass is a little confused, it's better to still make t1 for the early stages of t2 as your t2 tanks can't exactly cover everything (yet), then you upgrade some facs to t2, ctrlk others, and make t1 arty out of 1 or 2 facs
Feather: I am usually pretty good in judging people's abilities, intelligence and motives

Evildrew: Just because I didnt choose you for my team last year doesnt give you the right to be all bitchy and negative about my proposal
TheKoopa
Contributor

Has liked: 172 times
Been liked: 225 times
FAF User Name: Gently-

Postby Darth_Google » 16 Nov 2016, 15:17

TheKoopa wrote:I think biass is a little confused, it's better to still make t1 for the early stages of t2 as your t2 tanks can't exactly cover everything (yet), then you upgrade some facs to t2, ctrlk others, and make t1 arty out of 1 or 2 facs

Thats actually a best t2 transition tip i've read so far.
A useful guide for a newer players that i find a great success following to.

viewtopic.php?f=62&t=13336
Darth_Google

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 12 times
FAF User Name: Darth_Google

Postby partymarty81 » 30 Nov 2016, 18:08

YOU KNOW NOTHING JON SNOW

Yeah, I'm on the verge I said, more like the BRNKofINSANITY - how wrong was I :D

I thought I was progressing well as my rating was increasing. Very incorrect, I was just learning to play the same maps in the same spots. Fool.

Played with uteten a fair amount, starting playing on ladder as I need to come out of my comfort zone, its fair to say that my eyes are now open.

My game to date; I have a few good BO's on point, feel I do pretty well with the micro however my macro still sucks pretty bad. I'm finding I either upgrade my ACU or go up tech 2 at right time however have not prepared increased mass for the new spend. I am focusing on this a lot as I'm finding I get all excited, line up T2 power and then all the other goodies without having the eco needed for it; then I'm at a pretty bad mass stall which cuts my legs off. Anyway I know only way to fix this is to practise lots more :D

Focus for next time: T2 transition; preparing the ECO to buy the new goodies :D

PARTY
partymarty81

Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 53 times
FAF User Name: partymarty81

Postby partymarty81 » 17 Dec 2016, 12:36

IT'S LIKE RIDING A BIKE AND TRYING NOT TO CRASH (TOO BAD)

OK so some progress since last post

Ladder for me has been like taking the stabalisers off the bike for the first time.... I'm wobbling like a good'un right now, every now and again i'll shoot off great and other times will crash into a bush :lol:

saying that I'm really enjoying playing maps I would no way have picked out for myself. When I say enjoy, I mean in a painful, streched, oh my god how am I going to do all that kinda way.... but still I'm still coming back for more :D ladder rating around 550 now, still making time to watch back as many replays as I can.

Tech 2 transition: Getting a bit better at this. Before would build 1 or 2 engi, then spam 4 T2 power blindly where now am building one, working into the power and another after as needed.... Another error before was mass assisting, causing complete eco meltdown - getting better with this but am continuing to really focus on this....

Using the ecomanager has helped me see the mexes and which can be upgraded, this has helped a lot

anyway the plan is to carry on just playing loads - team games offer no interest to me, however did watch a live replay of zone control and that looked fun :D - will be carrying on ladder 1v1 as win or lose I'm getting most enjoyment and learning from that.... hoping over xmas will get more time to play loads :lol:

PARTY
partymarty81

Postby Heaven » 19 Dec 2016, 00:33

didn't review a partymarty replay in a while :( want!
Heaven

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 135 times
FAF User Name: Heaven

Postby partymarty81 » 20 Dec 2016, 13:58

Heaven wrote:didn't review a partymarty replay in a while :( want!

I didn't want to be greedy as I have featured twice already :D

however as you know I'm a massive fan of your work..... I'll find a couple which (hopefully) find some progress for you and some learnings for me going forward....

I want to be taking part in these epic games by spring next year so I'll get on it :!:
partymarty81

Postby partymarty81 » 06 Jan 2017, 19:46

PRACTISE PRACTISE PRACTISE

So since December - actually gone offline to just work on some basic control and fundamentals - played some ladders before this which left me really frustrated, i knew what i wanted to do however could not implement it. Massive stall? need more mass? Low on power? yeah just shout at the monitor a bit until your enemy works out you are sucking bad and get killed. not fun!!

Have been really working hard on build orders, and some recurring problems I have. Main issues are: stopping power build after initial BO - not enough engi's - keeping them busy reclaiming and scaling up the base - normally i use my ACU to get 3/4 facs and air and then go forward however after this forget to build more facs to spend newly gained mass - get easily over run on numbers

Before you say don't play AI - I'm just using this more as a work through of improving controls, build orders, engi reclaiming and eco up rather than anything to do with strategy of online play. Using it like driving range in golf before hitting the course again :D

so play more learn from mistakes, try to improve

party
partymarty81

Postby biass » 07 Jan 2017, 07:53

FAF has a minor mental game and your learned "fundamentals" vs AI will be strained under the added fear/pressure from an actual opponent, stop making excuses, its the same as the top marksman in a rifle company not being able to hit anything in a firefight because he's too scared to peak out and aim

ecoing is also about how much your enemy ecos - over ecoing is a thing, and don't do the all so common min 3 t2 mex and then min 5 loss, make units instead, or start making power

"air" is not a thing you can just keep on one fac making 5 inties and a scout all game, like land or anything else, you want more production then your opponent, so that you can end up doing damage with bombers or worse, remember the guy who makes two airfacs now double the production of your single airfac, let that sink in...

glhf
Map thread: https://bit.ly/2PBsa5H

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Has liked: 598 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: biass

Postby Flynn » 08 Jan 2017, 13:45

This is a very interesting thread...I have been there before myself...twice. Once on GPGNet and again in 2013 when I found FAF! Just look at my posting history to see my frustrations! I am following with interest.
Flynn
Evaluator

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 8 times
FAF User Name: Flynn

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions