Diary of a Noob

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

Re: Diary of a Noob

Postby partymarty81 » 28 Oct 2016, 18:41

biass wrote:Feel free to upload your replays here, other people can watch your glorious victories and give you tips :)

Opening myself up to the bear pit :lol: I just don't know if I'm ready for that...... LOL

The "glorious victories" to me will most likely be me out noobing someone but I'll pick out a couple and upload them (how do I attach them, as I see people do on the forum, instead of just putting up the replay number?)

On my next update I'll include the replays within my ramblings so you can see what I mean :D
partymarty81

Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 53 times
FAF User Name: partymarty81

Postby PhilipJFry » 28 Oct 2016, 19:00

You can either post the replay number here or link to replay.faforever.com/"REPLAYID".
cats>dogs
post logs
PhilipJFry
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 232 times
Been liked: 348 times
FAF User Name: PhilipJFry

Postby partymarty81 » 04 Nov 2016, 14:02

Not so much waffle this week :D

Similar progress from last week; feel like doing very well 1v1 - have played the odd team game but I'm enjoying these far less, most probably due to the fact my mid/late game knowledge is sh1te :lol: this will be a focus but one for the future...... my plan on 1v1 will be to start getting brave and rather than playing opponents rated no more than 100 more than me, just getting some beatings from higher players..... I've noticed that my victories (glorious as biass would say :D ) follow a similar pattern; playing better players will force me to play in a different way, games will go on longer and I will have no choice but to pull up my socks on learning mid/late game - also seem to get a quick game with a good rating match when i set map as (Theta passage, Midnight Pass, Loki) however when i've tried to set other maps seem to struggle to get a game.... keep trying i guess!

Rating up to 900 - of games this week have played mostly similar +- 200 of my own rating and winning more than losing.... been experimenting with jester rush and bomber rush tactics - working on transport drops will go hand in hand with trying to play larger maps

Team games - going to persist, perhaps just start my own 2v2 or 3v3 games with 10km maps and work it up from there - maybe then I will enjoy them more :lol:

Focus for next week:

- Noting replays for analysis (the good, bad and ugly)
- Play higher rated players 1v1 and then watch replays to see myself where improvements can be made

party
partymarty81

Postby partymarty81 » 07 Nov 2016, 14:12

RIght so had a couple of matches recently, managing to snatch defeat from the hands of victory. If anyone who has 5 minutes (to have a good laugh) can take a look at the following 2 replays and give a bit of feedback, I would appreciate it!

Replay ID's - 5384053 & 5383298

Feel like on both of them there was some bits I did OK (not saying perfect by any strectch....) however on both wasted my early advantage by making eco errors (i think on one of them i was mass assisting engi's after upgrading T2 factory without factoring in power) and on the more recent one left myself very exposed with my weak cybran ACU

anyway please take a look if anyone can :oops:
partymarty81

Postby Heaven » 09 Nov 2016, 00:14

partymarty81 wrote:Replay ID - 5384053

Heaven

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 135 times
FAF User Name: Heaven

Postby partymarty81 » 09 Nov 2016, 13:25

Heaven wrote:
partymarty81 wrote:Replay ID - 5384053

Thanks as always Heaven, after thinking about it and watching it briefly this morning I'm trying too many things at once which is harming my ego, I'll work on those points and hopefully next one I ask you to look at will be better on those points at least! Look forward to seeing the bomber build order.

By the way if there was such thing as a Noob councillor you would get my vote :D
partymarty81

Postby Heaven » 13 Nov 2016, 02:19

next

Heaven

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 135 times
FAF User Name: Heaven

Postby partymarty81 » 16 Nov 2016, 11:40

Frustrating times!

I'm at the point where I feel like I'm on the verge. I watch loads (and i mean loads) of youtube videos, tutorials, read the forum dry of help and tactics advice and most of it is sinking in and becoming more second nature. However for me the hardest thing, which I have not yet got, is balancing the eco especially moving into T2. as codepants said on a previous reply to this thread - this is difficult to master - NOT WRONG! Initial build orders have been learnt, hydro prioritised, scouting lots, some good points. however right now (saying this will put anyone that plays me at a massive advantage but wahey....) anyone that can keep me at bay and take game past 10 minutes, will crush me if they have half decent eco transition into T2.

Rating fluctuating around 900 - 1000 and played over 70 games now, on most games would be feeling like less of a noob but under no illusion that plenty more work to do. Have played some good games and certain basics doing well however MUST PRACTISE going into T2. This is particularly highlighted when I dabble with a team game. As a plan going to keep practising initial BO and timing/implementation of T2. Also finding I have been trying to rush gun upgrade too much after being punished a couple of times by opponents with it - again not preparing the power is costing me..... I think I need to learn by heart the numbers of what these things actually costs (as that is what any half decent player done ages ago)

No point playing larger maps, it's just magnifying my mistakes on a grander scale. Get working on basics, when can hold my own going into T2 then will consider it :D

Big thank you to Heaven for all the vids and hard work, its kinda strange listening to someone critiquing your efforts. Very useful content for me and also some nice theory on Loki which is good as i really like that map :D

Anyway - enough rattling on, get on with some work.

Areas to focus on:

- T2 transition (re-watch Heaven's videos and practise)
- Stop carrying out multiple upgrades simultaneously

If any other NOOBS out there want a game, message me on chat, I'm on most nights (if the baby allows it)

PARTY
partymarty81

Postby biass » 16 Nov 2016, 12:06

partymarty81 wrote: I think I need to learn by heart the numbers of what these things actually costs (as that is what any half decent player done ages ago)

I do not advise

it is simple my friend, you get mass somehow (i didn't see you mention reclaim once in your post, are you a true vacuum cleaner yet?)
and then:
do you have lots of map control, or at least half, and can survive until you finish the upgrade? (scout!!)
if yes, then do the upgrade
if no, more units

also remember that going t2 means your t1 tanks is kinda obsolete, no point making them anymore!
Map thread: https://bit.ly/2PBsa5H

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Has liked: 598 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: biass

Postby partymarty81 » 16 Nov 2016, 12:51

biass wrote:
partymarty81 wrote: I think I need to learn by heart the numbers of what these things actually costs (as that is what any half decent player done ages ago)

I do not advise

it is simple my friend, you get mass somehow (i didn't see you mention reclaim once in your post, are you a true vacuum cleaner yet?)
and then:
do you have lots of map control, or at least half, and can survive until you finish the upgrade? (scout!!)
if yes, then do the upgrade
if no, more units

also remember that going t2 means your t1 tanks is kinda obsolete, no point making them anymore!

i am becomming more of a engi/reclaim whore :D think i'm more of a henry rather than a true dyson but i still have time :lol:

last part - I'm very guilty of this - at present i stop one factory production and set this to upgrade, leaving the other 3-4 (or whatever) producing T1 - I suppose my logic was that I am keeping an army/unit production but from what you are saying, best to halt all and focus on that? On this - after I have upgraded to T2 on 1 factory, is it more efficient to upgrade the others (non HQ) or to spam lots of T1 engis to assist the upgraded?

Thanks for the help :D
partymarty81

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions