A naval 1v1 map - I need ladder player input!

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

A naval 1v1 map - I need ladder player input!

Postby biass » 12 Feb 2016, 16:29

If you've sat in aeolus all day you might have noticed me asking what people want in a navy map, which has been requested by some and missed by many.
Some people either hate the maps like Roanoke and some (like me) disprove of the lack of naval maps in the current pool.
It is a very touchy topic where everyone has a different opinion and thus i wish to create a map that can fill as many player's requirements as possible.

So far however, i have only gotten minimal input, Kalvirox had asked me to create a 20x20km map, and 2 players from the top 50 have said that raiding mexes with frigates is important, that is it.

Using those suggestions, i have done this (so far)

UEF tarmac = mexes
Aeon 'tarmac' = Hydrocarbon
Cybran 'tarmac' = the spawn point

I wanted to make the map have worthwhile expansions but i dont wish to make hover spamming the most viable options, i also want to make transports used a bit more but without encouraging 'hello this is zlo' style comdrops everygame,

(This of course will be mirrored on the top side, giving currently 4 major landmasses.)

I am looking for ladder player's input on what would make this work so we can get some more decent maps into the pool
Also, if you're more of an expert in mapping and see an issue i would love to hear it also.

Spoiler: show
I would put this in the 'mapping thread' but that is a ghost town, hope this is allowed
Map thread: https://bit.ly/2PBsa5H

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Has liked: 598 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: biass

Re: A naval 1v1 map - I need ladder player input!

Postby TheKoopa » 12 Feb 2016, 16:51

I think we need more 10x10 water maps, imo we have plenty of 20x20 water maps. I have an old project I've been meaning to revamp (called Tropical Lake) but it's very very hard to make a good naval map actually look good too.
Feather: I am usually pretty good in judging people's abilities, intelligence and motives

Evildrew: Just because I didnt choose you for my team last year doesnt give you the right to be all bitchy and negative about my proposal
TheKoopa
Contributor

Has liked: 172 times
Been liked: 225 times
FAF User Name: Gently-

Postby Turinturambar » 12 Feb 2016, 17:58

Try to place very few mexes to make it an epic map. i d say the Nr mexes/area on emarald crater area good ratio (maybe a bit more) and some o them in the water since navy is more expansive then land.
Turinturambar

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 91 times
FAF User Name: 竜宮レナ

Postby JaggedAppliance » 12 Feb 2016, 17:59

I would advise you not to have corner spawns. Keep some sea around the edge of the map to avoid offmap stuff and to keep the map a bit less huge like with most 20x20 ladder maps.

If you have just 1 major island expansion it will be difficult to contest anything, especially if it's so close to you. I would suggest having more. If you want to have any land battles on island expansions you need large islands so a slightly later drop from one player can still survive.

Not sure what else to say atm but try to make it different to the other similar maps, maybe using reclaim, different numbers of small+large islands, hydro and mex placement etc. A trans rush is gonna be the way to start on this map no matter what so try to allow for different dropping locations with that first trans.

Edit: water mexes could be a good way to differentiate this map but it's risky because navy will almost certainly be the most important arena of the map anyway.
"and remember, u are a noob, u don’t have any rights to disagree" - Destructor

My Youtube channel with casts > https://www.youtube.com/c/jaggedappliance
My Twitch > https://www.twitch.tv/jaggedappliance
JaggedAppliance
Councillor - Balance

Has liked: 734 times
Been liked: 313 times
FAF User Name: JaggedAppliance

Postby KeyBlue » 12 Feb 2016, 18:37

I'm not yet a good ladder player, but here is an idea.

Most played navy maps seem to have very little that obstructs the fire of t2 and t3 ships, which makes sure that range is king.
For example: Roanoke Abyss, Seraphim Glaciers, Setons, ...

Maybe you could add some mountains in the water to mitigate this a little and make placement of units more important.
    - This way you can protect your navy a little from long range fire when you are losing.
    - More ways to out manouver you opponent
    - Protect water mexes from long range fire of destroyers and battleships, so giving up a little ground doesn't make you loose those mex immediatly.
    - Maybe a choke point or 2 so you can win against superior forces if your opponent is dumb enough to go through it.

I don't know what the actual consequences of such a design are, so feel free to explain how that would break the game/meta/fun/...

PS: I just realized Water of Isis has such mountains. But I don't mean to create only chokepoints. I was thinking about something like hilly plateau, but with more open space because of longer range and less choke points. Or something. I don't know.
KeyBlue
Priest

Has liked: 140 times
Been liked: 93 times
FAF User Name: KeyBlue

Postby keyser » 12 Feb 2016, 19:56

water mexx are necessary for a new ladder map. It give some use in subs, make frigate less strong.
Don't need to spam them everywhere like in soviet map though.
Maybe some spot with water mexx can be a good idea too, will make torpedo defense more viable there.
Zockyzock:
VoR is the clan of upcoming top players now
keyser
Councillor - Game

Has liked: 424 times
Been liked: 540 times
FAF User Name: keyser

Postby Ithilis_Quo » 12 Feb 2016, 20:12

keyser wrote: It give some use in subs, make frigate less strong.

And what about make subs less ussles in general?
"Fixed in Equilibrium" Washy
Ithilis_Quo
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 395 times
Been liked: 181 times
FAF User Name: Ithilis

Postby Kalvirox » 12 Feb 2016, 21:05

Yeah, if you look at say roanoke and glaciers, the two spawn islands have water all the way around them. So maybe something like that.
Maybe you could have the spawn on an island with 2 neighbouring islands, both players have a seperate island to the right but the island on the left is like 2 islands joined together, Its a bit of a mix of both glaciers and roanoke.

It's just an idea, you are the one making the map.

I dislike underwater mexes, granted it gives use for subs but I think they are silly. Maybe a couple of pockets wouldn't be too bad though.

Also, thank you for taking up this project.
[SFo]T4ffytr0n2014: You can tell Kalvirox comes from the south by what he is having for lunch
SeraphimLeftNut: Two pieces of copper are electrically the same, but you can stab people with one piece and send UDP packets through another
Kalvirox
Evaluator

Has liked: 121 times
Been liked: 133 times
FAF User Name: Kalvirox

Postby tatsu » 12 Feb 2016, 23:54

10 x 10
tatsu
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 1952 times
Been liked: 171 times
FAF User Name: tatsu

Postby keyser » 13 Feb 2016, 00:21

And what about make subs less ussles in general?

bad map design shouldn't impact balance, or we remove water mexx, and then change subs.
Zockyzock:
VoR is the clan of upcoming top players now
keyser
Councillor - Game

Has liked: 424 times
Been liked: 540 times
FAF User Name: keyser

Next

Return to General Discussions