A naval 1v1 map - I need ladder player input!

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

Re: A naval 1v1 map - I need ladder player input!

Postby keyser » 14 Feb 2016, 19:10

why claiming "the problem is bad map design and not bad balance" is silly

I dont agree at all, bad map design is to be taken into account. You can t always blame balance. This is stupid easy way.
We can still change balance a bit, but you cannot solve all issue with changing balance since changing balance will impact several game style (1v1, 2v2, 3v3...).

Btw no idea why you need to put under water next to surface..
Having that middle island kinda put emphasize back on drop and labd war than on water map control with frihate and subs.
Zockyzock:
VoR is the clan of upcoming top players now
keyser
Councillor - Game

Has liked: 424 times
Been liked: 540 times
FAF User Name: keyser

Postby biass » 14 Feb 2016, 19:39

keyser wrote:
why claiming "the problem is bad map design and not bad balance" is silly

I dont agree at all, bad map design is to be taken into account. You can t always blame balance. This is stupid easy way.
We can still change balance a bit, but you cannot solve all issue with changing balance since changing balance will impact several game style (1v1, 2v2, 3v3...).

Btw no idea why you need to put under water next to surface..
Having that middle island kinda put emphasize back on drop and labd war than on water map control with frihate and subs.

Placing mid land mass hopes to push navy into the sides instead of having some hover spam on sides and some unrelated snowball of a navy fight in mid (roanoke)

more uw mex might be coming soon, but i am trying to keep as little as possible

I am okay with encouraging drops and people trying to win over mid with land, being able to control all three branches of a factions military is hopefully some fun xD

But hey, we had a huge discussion in aeolus about gameplay and all we could do is theorycraft, hopefuly map vault is up again soon, also, i appreciate the comments despite my blatantly rebutting them xD

no more for today, its 5am here, put some time into this map today xD
Map thread: https://bit.ly/2PBsa5H

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Has liked: 598 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: biass

Postby Mad`Mozart » 14 Feb 2016, 20:08

idk why you are so concerned with hover anyway, its 146% useless vs navy since last balance patch
Mad`Mozart
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby bugblatterbeast » 15 Feb 2016, 05:30

Too much water.
bugblatterbeast

Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 11 times
FAF User Name: bugblatterbeast

Postby biass » 15 Feb 2016, 06:22

bugblatterbeast wrote:Too much water.

;)

Lowerlevel players didnt get the memo about hover, zooey spam is oh so common, i want them to makes boats too xD

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Postby Turinturambar » 15 Feb 2016, 09:48

1st about the reclaim: under 4.5k reclaim should be in small+medium rocks around spawn position and typical drop positions. maybe some of it could be in 1 or 2 big reclaim fields.
2nd what about e reclaim? you could e g put many treegroups on the sideislands and some on the startingisland to maximise the #ofstrategies (since it can give enough power for a tech rush etc.)
3rd what about hydros? should there be 0,1 or 2 on the spwanisland? (2 should be fun i think ;)). (maybe put some on the plateuas in the middle island)
4th #of mexes looks nice. gj (if you add more then 2 underwatermexes/player you should maybe lower the # on the sideisland)
5th pls NOT more then 5 k easily reclaimable (stacked!) reclaim. there can ofc be more reclaim but more in the style of rocks between trees (on the middle island).
6th there could even be some underwater hydros ...
Turinturambar

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 91 times
FAF User Name: 竜宮レナ

Postby bugblatterbeast » 15 Feb 2016, 10:59

biass wrote:
bugblatterbeast wrote:Too much water.

;)

Lowerlevel players didnt get the memo about hover, zooey spam is oh so common, i want them to makes boats too xD

What is this painful hot sensation I am experiencing?
bugblatterbeast

Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 11 times
FAF User Name: bugblatterbeast

Postby Blodir » 15 Feb 2016, 11:26

I agree with what other people have said here:
- You are using way too much of the 20x20 area, corner vs corner is an insane distance
- The middle island is so large it makes handling navy a bit uncomfortable
- 6 mexes in mid right next to each other is not nice, other player will get them and just build a few PD and have control over it indefinitely. They should be further apart
- To be honest I'm not sure I will care about middle at all since I will have main base full t2 mex before having some decent landspam up in middle because the map is so large
Blodir
Contributor

Has liked: 489 times
Been liked: 535 times
FAF User Name: Snowbound

Postby Iszh » 15 Feb 2016, 12:15

Rofl 20x20 is much to big for this kind of map. It should be 10x10 and would be fine. The distance between those 2 players is seton air player to seton air player. Just imagine thats nearly twice the distance seton naval players have to each other. Then there are terrible less mexes for such a size the game will take hours.

This map like you posted it has not enough mass at start spot for a naval fight. People will drop the side islands and if it will not work for one person thats already gg. So either each player will get a side island then it will be difficult to tell what will happen maybe a gameplay like on roanoke abyss, spread t2 navy trying to kill mexes.

The problem of this map is that size to mass relation favors air superiority. I want to tell with this that not navy but air is the most dangerous weapon for a long long time here sniping mexes and important targets outposts and so on. If there would be more mass then air would be less important because navy could appear faster and stronger with cruisers and so on.
Iszh
Evaluator

Has liked: 116 times
Been liked: 126 times
FAF User Name: Iszh

Postby biass » 16 Feb 2016, 15:18

Im still listening to suggestions, just having a break and stuff

and again, i can happily make this map a 10x10 if really desired

biass
Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions