A naval 1v1 map - I need ladder player input!

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

Re: A naval 1v1 map - I need ladder player input!

Postby Exotic_Retard » 14 Feb 2016, 02:28

i would say that if an underwater mex is groundfire-able then there is no point for it to be there.
Spoiler: show
ahahahha sorry but heres some balance-related cancer for you:
underwater mexes were invented as an attempt to make t1 subs used sometimes on naval maps - one of the ways meta/gameplay adapts towards balance - maps will change to try to make things more fun. whether that's removing air spot to stop air from crushing your or adding mexes in the sea - these are both responses to balance.
which is also why claiming "the problem is bad map design and not bad balance" is silly - there is never a separate reason for problem X and many different changes could help - the question is what is best, not what can be done

since current balance means you should promote them for subs it means you shouldn't be able to ground-fire them.

i can't exactly tell form that pic but to me it looks like you could make that hill lower and it will be fine - underwater decals also add a lot of texture to the sea floor so you could use some thing like those to mark out mexes as well there was some crazy blodirmap with large pond in the middle and decals all over it - could look at that

hope this helps
Exotic_Retard
Contributor

Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 626 times
FAF User Name: Exotic_Retard

Postby biass » 14 Feb 2016, 06:23

Exotic_Retard wrote:i would say that if an underwater mex is groundfire-able then there is no point for it to be there.
Spoiler: show
ahahahha sorry but heres some balance-related cancer for you:
underwater mexes were invented as an attempt to make t1 subs used sometimes on naval maps - one of the ways meta/gameplay adapts towards balance - maps will change to try to make things more fun. whether that's removing air spot to stop air from crushing your or adding mexes in the sea - these are both responses to balance.
which is also why claiming "the problem is bad map design and not bad balance" is silly - there is never a separate reason for problem X and many different changes could help - the question is what is best, not what can be done

since current balance means you should promote them for subs it means you shouldn't be able to ground-fire them.

i can't exactly tell form that pic but to me it looks like you could make that hill lower and it will be fine - underwater decals also add a lot of texture to the sea floor so you could use some thing like those to mark out mexes as well there was some crazy blodirmap with large pond in the middle and decals all over it - could look at that

hope this helps

We can certainly lower the ground
Map thread: https://bit.ly/2PBsa5H

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Has liked: 598 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: biass

Postby biass » 14 Feb 2016, 06:27

turinturambar42 wrote:
maybe if you player sub 1300 ladder ecoing would be 24/7 but often games with navy are fought with heavy air raiding and dropping, claiming the islands will be important , adding less mexes will probably mean the same thing but slower imo

ecoing a lot is a normal thing at 2k+ on maps like roanokesine it is just too difficult to overwhem an island with early spam/air and frigattes can only raid the outer 4 mexes of each island. usuallyits 2st 4 minutesgetting the islands/dniing them with air then its eigher gg or both eco a lot and build some frigates then go t2 navy, t2 air hoovertanks etc.

I am not wanting to make some huge argument, but if you think that ladder maps should stay on t1 for the whole game maybe i would watch some longer ladder replays,
i heard there was a t3 arty war in ladder recently

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Postby biass » 14 Feb 2016, 15:02

Finally mirrored what i had so far, decals and all, now we discuss the final parts of the map

A middle landmass drops, drop only, civs? mid mass?

Reclaim Trees all over the show? syrtis style rocks around the cliffs?

These are two parts i am really not sure of, so i ask what you think is the better option, what reclaim do you find to be good? give map examples xD

Also, i lowered the underwater mex points

biass
Contributor

Postby Mad`Mozart » 14 Feb 2016, 15:32

If its 20km map, having players start in the corners is really huge distance.
Look how on every other more or less popular 20km map players start quite far from the edge and it still feels big. Should really give a lot of map control to fight for unless you want your map to be boring turtlefest.
Mad`Mozart
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby biass » 14 Feb 2016, 17:26

mmh, some attempt, not final, concerns about size is rising, we really need some incentives to push players out of their starting bases

remembering that only 6 mexes are available without transport/edge build, how would you go about playing this map? seeing as their are more mexes on each landmass then spawns..

currently working on making the mid look natural

biass
Contributor

Postby Mot » 14 Feb 2016, 17:31

reminds me alot of a red map that was in the ladder pool once now.
meta was there to drop on the extra islands and walk the acu to centre as fast as possible
navy was kind of hit and miss as central control meant victory afaik.
Mot

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 3 times
FAF User Name: MayorDamage

Postby biass » 14 Feb 2016, 18:07

I update this a lot in the tiniest hope people actually keep giving me advice

will fix up the beachs in mid to be like the image posted above, i really need some suggestions on reclaim please

biass
Contributor

Postby JaggedAppliance » 14 Feb 2016, 18:34

As it is I'd trans rush, drop an engy to the plateau with 2 mexes, drop a couple engies to the corner of mid then drop my island. Edgebuild an air fac to the other plateau. Navy won't play a role for a long time because it'll be too slow. Also not sure how many mexes destros and frigs can hit. There's no beach for the acu so i wouldn't walk to mid. Dropping your opps island would be risky but it's certainly on option. Maybe mid comdrop will be the meta :D

Games will be long and eco heavy.
"and remember, u are a noob, u don’t have any rights to disagree" - Destructor

My Youtube channel with casts > https://www.youtube.com/c/jaggedappliance
My Twitch > https://www.twitch.tv/jaggedappliance
JaggedAppliance
Councillor - Balance

Has liked: 734 times
Been liked: 313 times
FAF User Name: JaggedAppliance

Postby biass » 14 Feb 2016, 19:02

more screenies

Highlighted in pink are mexes i plan to be hit by frigates one way or another

edit, 2 uw mexes, inbetween side beach and mid beach
Last edited by biass on 14 Feb 2016, 19:12, edited 1 time in total.

biass
Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions