automatch/ladder map pool

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

Re: Announcement about the map rotation on automatch

Postby Morax » 15 Apr 2016, 16:03

Mozart, why not a bigger map pool, then?
Maps and Modifications Councilor

M&M Discord Channel

Come join us and help create content with the artists of FAF.
Morax
Councillor - Maps and Mods

Has liked: 1167 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: Morax

Postby Mad`Mozart » 15 Apr 2016, 16:17

Violence wrote:Mozart, why not a bigger map pool, then?

Not really sure what you wanted to say with that
Mad`Mozart
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby Morax » 15 Apr 2016, 16:24

Easy: Make the map pool bigger so there is less redundancy, aka boring, less BO whoring, etc

M&M Discord Channel

Morax

Postby Ithilis_Quo » 15 Apr 2016, 16:34

on my opinion is small map pool much better as big one, people know the maps, can create new tactics on same enviroment, and 15 is still not small number, When you loock on other strategy, 15 is still much more as are normaly played. New homeworld have on realse date at all only 6 map. Warcraft have more maps, but played was about 10-20 maps all time. Starcraft have in ladder as i know only 9 maps.

But what i dont understand why are maps in pool same, even after change. It should be some mechanizm for keep lets say 1/3 of map same and change 2/3 every month then its keeping small map pool and also diversity.
"Fixed in Equilibrium" Washy
Ithilis_Quo
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 395 times
Been liked: 181 times
FAF User Name: Ithilis

Postby Mad`Mozart » 15 Apr 2016, 16:44

Why would they make it bigger in the first place? Cause a bunch of people who represent minority said so? :D
Atm they are busy with the server and whateverelse adding more new bugs in the process rather than trying to keep their playerbase. At the very least they try to care about newbies and newcomers but how long will they last till they understand this place is going nowhere?
Mad`Mozart
Supreme Commander

Postby Mad`Mozart » 15 Apr 2016, 17:02

Also since i feel so inspirational about talking today, sit down boys and listen to my words of wisdom.

Ithilis_Quo wrote:on my opinion is small map pool much better as big one, people know the maps, can create new tactics on same enviroment,

I saw a lot of people bringing up exact same arguement but it utterly and horribly wrong.
People who suck balls at this game will not be able to create any "new tactics" on "same environment". They will either follow better players' meta or fail with varying degree of futility.
People who are good at this game or at least who are able to understand how it works, will always develop 1-2 most efficient strategies for given map or map type because they yield results. And because the maps are overplayed so much they can polish those strategies. *cough* bloodieerer *cough*

Only scenario where given quote is possible is with the big map pool. Because one of the two players is bad / lacks experience on this kind of map, he makes a lot of mistakes which can be abused by unusual strategy choice.
Mad`Mozart
Supreme Commander

Postby Ithilis_Quo » 15 Apr 2016, 17:14

but we dont want to have bad gameplay. On new enviroment people will play worse as on map that they know and play many time. Thats fact. Looks on seton, here is group of people who dont play nothing else as sethon, and they gameplay on that map is much much better as for someone who see that map first time, or play it mounths ago. Have seton with people who know what is going on is much better and enjoable for everyone as only measure skill level and improvization.

map pool itself should be diverse, but small enought to be able acquaint every map inside.

Ithilis_Quo
Supreme Commander

Postby Morax » 15 Apr 2016, 17:16

It's pretty awful, I agree Mozart. That's why I'm hoping that RocketRooster fellow who replied to my plea actually pans out. We all unanimously agree the server transition has been a disaster so let's keep attempting to find help as best we can. I'm going to do my best to stay positive and keep playing a bit to keep fresh while things work out.

But on topic that is just what I'd like to see: a very large pool. If you think it's a bad idea, fine.

Again, where are the statistics on who likes what maps? We should probably get something going rather having to look through the plethora of debates and posts on this topic.

M&M Discord Channel

Morax

Postby Ithilis_Quo » 15 Apr 2016, 17:24

Violence wrote:Again, where are the statistics on who likes what maps?

Whole like with map is imho not that important. Im for very diverse map, it can so also some unknown map. But make it small and rotate every mounth. What is 10 new map every mouth, what is bad with it?

This is not game as age of empires where are map generate randomly. Why have starcraft same 10 map in map pool?
"Fixed in Equilibrium" Washy
Ithilis_Quo
Supreme Commander

Postby Blodir » 15 Apr 2016, 17:29

Ithilis_Quo wrote:on my opinion is small map pool much better as big one, people know the maps, can create new tactics on same enviroment, and 15 is still not small number, When you loock on other strategy, 15 is still much more as are normaly played. New homeworld have on realse date at all only 6 map. Warcraft have more maps, but played was about 10-20 maps all time. Starcraft have in ladder as i know only 9 maps.

But what i dont understand why are maps in pool same, even after change. It should be some mechanizm for keep lets say 1/3 of map same and change 2/3 every month then its keeping small map pool and also diversity.

Just a small correction: SC2 has 7 maps in 1v1 pool. GSL, the most prestigious SC2 tournament also has 7.

Mad`Mozart wrote:Why would they make it bigger in the first place? Cause a bunch of people who represent minority said so? :D
Atm they are busy with the server and whateverelse adding more new bugs in the process rather than trying to keep their playerbase. At the very least they try to care about newbies and newcomers but how long will they last till they understand this place is going nowhere?

Holy shit can you please stop acting like contributors owe you something

Violence wrote:Easy: Make the map pool bigger so there is less redundancy, aka boring, less BO whoring, etc

So what's wrong with BO whoring? It's an integral element in RTS. Also this is quite ironical, if you expand the pool you are giving BOs a massive advantage over players who have no BO at all. Atm with "small" pool everyone has some kind of BO so you don't get ridiculous advantage
Blodir
Contributor

Has liked: 489 times
Been liked: 535 times
FAF User Name: Snowbound

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions