The new map rotation for the ladder

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

Re: The new map rotation for the ladder

Postby speed2 » 23 Jan 2016, 01:51

Hey guys, I've updated my map Seraphim Outpost. Removed the ice (apm) reclaim and jamming crystals are disaled by default, so only available in skirmish, so if you would want to give it another try I'd be happy :)
speed2
Contributor

Has liked: 636 times
Been liked: 1119 times
FAF User Name: speed2

Postby Sovietpride » 26 Jan 2016, 20:37

Actually pretty enjoying pyramid in the ladder.
Then again, Im someone who enjoys high apm-requiring multi tasking situations.

Whilst branded as a "team game" map, i would like to point out that many of the current favourites/staples aren't strictly for two players either....

Thoughts?
Sovietpride

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 109 times
FAF User Name: Sovietpride

Postby theeggroll » 27 Jan 2016, 16:36

Can someone explain to me how regor is a good map? Whenever I play it I feel very restricted, you can only raid like two things and all your expansions are easy to defend. Basically once one player gets a slight upper hand in the middle its pretty much over because they have full access to raiding side expansions while the other player can't do shit from their main base. You either fight in the middle or you don't fight at all. And yes I'm aware what drops and air units are, unfortunately a few well placed flaks and the entire map is pretty much protected, as well as how spread out people normally are on the map, they normally can easily see their entire half of the map. Once you can start doing drops you've probably already won anyways.

Also you have serenity desert small listed in last post I see of map pool, yet we have the 20x20 version in ladder (at least it feels like 20x20)

Soviet I support your desire for pyramid that would be a shit ton of fun
GMT - 6 http://spooky.github.io/unitdb/#/
When in doubt, Blame Gorton
theeggroll
Priest

Has liked: 228 times
Been liked: 98 times
FAF User Name: theeggroll

Postby Morax » 27 Jan 2016, 17:14

theeggroll wrote:Basically once one player gets a slight upper hand

Most 1500+ 1v1 players and especially 1700+ will make a match nearly unforgiving with this on any map. Sometimes you lose 5 engineers within the first 3 mins to a bomber *cough Ti_Xi vs Soviet *cough* and the match is pretty much over; you cannot recover from that kind of hindrance.

It took me, like, dozens of games to get a BO to compete with 1700+ people as I noticed they always were ahead of me by some significant factor, that made it easy for them to cruise through the game.

You can do quirky stuff to throw people off, but you really need to experiment with "anti-meta." Make sure it doesn't hinder your expansion/eco/tech too much.

I like throwing curve balls at people as it makes the matches exciting; it is not 100%-guaranteed yet it produces adrenaline rushes and less boring.
Maps and Modifications Councilor

M&M Discord Channel

Come join us and help create content with the artists of FAF.
Morax
Councillor - Maps and Mods

Has liked: 1167 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: Morax

Postby yorick » 27 Jan 2016, 17:24

Regor is one of the Top3 maps in the pool imo. Also the expansions are quite away from the main base actually so it may take a while until reinforcement arrive ( esp after a tech switch) and there are quite a few mexes only accesible with drops/edgebuilding factories.
yorick

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 27 times
FAF User Name: yorick

Postby Mad`Mozart » 27 Jan 2016, 18:40

I think what eggroll wants to say is that regor is extremely static map. No diversity in what you do, get some reclime and as many facs up and spam the shit out of middle. Win middle - destroy expansion - win the game. At least that was the case in every game i played there. Map feels like ultimate BO whoring compared to say Palms or Syrtis.
Mad`Mozart
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby Sovietpride » 28 Jan 2016, 01:29

If you want to describe "extremely static" as the map playing the same over and over, that can be applied to many maps.

Bermuda locket? Drop, land spam into enemy direction, navy goes straight down the middle.

Theta? Land spam with the periodic bomber thrown in.

Syrtis? try to deny enemy expansion, try to protect your own, dont forget middle reclaim, tech.

etc, etc, etc.

I like regor because it requires thinking and map control. Perhaps the BO is static, but thats the nature of competitive level play - some BO's are just superior and more efficient.

ITs also why i prefer harder/newer (or preferably both) like pyramid and schloob 10. No real established meta, no real established BO, map is large enough that APM is required and you will struggle to keep on top of everything.
Sovietpride

Postby JaggedAppliance » 28 Jan 2016, 04:37

Regor is static in terms of the actual play not just the meta being static. You have a standoff in mid with almost all army there because it's by far the most important area of the map and send small raids to either side occasionally.

As for maps, EOTS has to come back.

I don't think Pyramid is a good 1v1 map, maybe the 3v3 version would be a bit better. It's a spam fest at every tech level.

I've had enough of serenity desert, maybe time to drop it, it's not particularly interesting now that the novelty has worn off.
"and remember, u are a noob, u don’t have any rights to disagree" - Destructor

My Youtube channel with casts > https://www.youtube.com/c/jaggedappliance
My Twitch > https://www.twitch.tv/jaggedappliance
JaggedAppliance
Councillor - Balance

Has liked: 734 times
Been liked: 313 times
FAF User Name: JaggedAppliance

Postby Sovietpride » 28 Jan 2016, 15:37

TLDR; we need more 1v1 maps to be made.
Sovietpride

Postby Arkansas » 30 Jan 2016, 23:47

Sovietpride wrote:TLDR; we need more 1v1 maps to be made.

Don't think thats true at all. There are plenty of good maps out there but nobody plays them because nobody plays them.
Arkansas

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1 time
FAF User Name: Arkansas

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions