The new map rotation for the ladder

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

Re: The new map rotation for the ladder

Postby Morax » 04 Nov 2015, 17:22

WWPC whoop whoop! - the solution to avoiding trash maps!!!

Sadly, I have to agree with Exotic here and say that the old ladder may be best considering the population of competitive players. This whole thing will die if it's only suiting such a small fan base. I mean, if we're allowing "Desert Arena" in the ladder system I pretty much don't want to play it anyways.

Then again, my suggestion to make two ladder systems might be another option. Although, let's keep in mind the server code is going to take some good months to fix and then we'll re-prioritize coding projects.

For now, I say we revert to the old so that we don't kill the community while we await for the team to get time to code these things.

-----<>~*~*~*~*~*~*~ SPARKLES AND KITTENS ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~<>-----
Maps and Modifications Councilor

M&M Discord Channel

Come join us and help create content with the artists of FAF.
Morax
Councillor - Maps and Mods

Has liked: 1167 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: Morax

Postby speed2 » 04 Nov 2015, 17:28

Exotic_Retard wrote:the top maps list should be from the most selected maps and not the most played maps.

ehm, that's how it was afaik, just some people couldnt get over the fact that most selected maps aren't the maps they wanted...
speed2
Contributor

Has liked: 636 times
Been liked: 1119 times
FAF User Name: speed2

Postby Turinturambar » 04 Nov 2015, 17:28

I actually prefer the current system beause one has more time 2 try different stategies on one map, what should be a good way of improoving one's gameplay. (ofc you can do the same on different maps but its way less "empirical" because mass income, the power one builds, spamcount, mex spread etc. can vary heavily)
I dont think the mappool a real issue expept if its maybe 2 5x5/reclaim heavy.Though maybe the rotation could be rather in a 3 week cycle and not one month.

i think also playing a small mappool should be very usefull for <200 games <1000 rating players because they get more of an idea what 2 do on a map. e.g. getting bermuda,sanctuary,ditch,desert arena in old rotation meant the one who knows about the reclaim wins (dont expect them know i also didnt realise desert arena is a reclaim map when i played in old system it was just wtf where do all these units come from :D)
Turinturambar

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 91 times
FAF User Name: 竜宮レナ

Postby Blodir » 04 Nov 2015, 17:39

I like the current system way more than the old one, but again the map pool is way too big, for the same reasons i have stated way too many times
Blodir
Contributor

Has liked: 489 times
Been liked: 535 times
FAF User Name: Snowbound

Postby Exotic_Retard » 04 Nov 2015, 19:01

ok, how about this:

old system, you can select as many or as few maps as you like.
you cant play on the same map if its been played in your last 5 games, to stop a major complain of the last system.

you play only the maps commonly selected between the two of you.
only if the system doesn't find a common map from you/your opponent, does it to to the common map pool.
the common map pool is managed manually - and is the current map pool reduced a little. (at least 11 maps.)
you can also veto up to 3 maps. this is only useful for vetoing maps from the common map pool.

this means:
if you like the map pool, you select 0 maps and veto 0 maps. you end up only playing the maps from the pool.
if you like the map pool exactly as it is right now, you select those maps that are missing from the reduced map pool.
if you want a really small map pool, you veto some maps from the pool and you end up with a smaller one.
if you like the old system, you select maps you like, and veto maps that you don't like
if you like the idea of a map pool but you dont think its quite right, you veto some maps from it, and select some of your own - you get a modified map pool essentially

i think this can please the most people. see any problems with this?

one i can see is that is slightly benefits those who want to play the map pool, but imo since you can veto maps you get to avoid ones you hate the most, its not so bad.
another downside is that you wont be able to play maps that other people dont want to play (and therefore dont select).
Exotic_Retard
Contributor

Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 626 times
FAF User Name: Exotic_Retard

Postby Morax » 04 Nov 2015, 19:18

turinturambar42 wrote:I actually prefer the current system beause one has more time 2 try different stategies on one map, what should be a good way of improoving one's gameplay. (ofc you can do the same on different maps but its way less "empirical" because mass income, the power one builds, spamcount, mex spread etc. can vary heavily)
I dont think the mappool a real issue expept if its maybe 2 5x5/reclaim heavy.Though maybe the rotation could be rather in a 3 week cycle and not one month.

i think also playing a small mappool should be very usefull for <200 games <1000 rating players because they get more of an idea what 2 do on a map. e.g. getting bermuda,sanctuary,ditch,desert arena in old rotation meant the one who knows about the reclaim wins (dont expect them know i also didnt realise desert arena is a reclaim map when i played in old system it was just wtf where do all these units come from :D)

What you are missing here is understanding that most people don't like the complex and strategy-heavy maps.

There are some people I know who are decent at the game but they self-admit that maps like Regor VI and Niflheim and Loki are beyond what they want in a game.

Sad, but true...
Maps and Modifications Councilor

M&M Discord Channel

Come join us and help create content with the artists of FAF.
Morax
Councillor - Maps and Mods

Has liked: 1167 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: Morax

Postby Turinturambar » 04 Nov 2015, 19:44

What you are missing here is understanding that most people don't like the complex and strategy-heavy maps.

There are some people I know who are decent at the game but they self-admit that maps like Regor VI and Niflheim and Loki are beyond what they want in a game.

Sad, but true...

yes i was actually thinking of those maps when I wrote this;) but still if you e.g. wat 2 try sth like fast t2, how 2 correctly go and use t2 air,t3 rush.... its better i think to have same settings over a few games.
also sth like acu moovement meta can rly be a problem for low/new players (loki,OP!,forbidden pass,badlands,...) where repeating wont hurt(same ofc also for 5x5) whereas many maps makes it more difficult 2 keep up with the diffrent metas.
Turinturambar

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 91 times
FAF User Name: 竜宮レナ

Postby Aulex » 04 Nov 2015, 21:30

Casual and non-casual ladder. If no one can be found searching non-casual ladder you'll be prompted if you want to search in casual ladder and vice versa. Ladder is meant to be competitive.
"Let's start beating ass and die" - drunk TA4Life

"Just because you have a d*** doesn't mean you need to be one...pussy" -Blackdeath

SCOUTING SAVES LIVES
http://imgur.com/YGk0W0o

How to play Sup Com by Ubilaz
http://goo.gl/je83z
Aulex
Contributor

Has liked: 299 times
Been liked: 225 times
FAF User Name: VoR_Aulex

Postby Ceneraii » 04 Nov 2015, 22:42

Well I liked the old system, then the new one (gotta give it a chance right) and now I feel more towards the old one. Or more accurately, I like the idea of the smaller pool, but in practice I find myself saying ''oh for fucks sake not this map I wanted to just have some fun'' more often than not, at least with the old system I could give a little bit of direction towards what I liked.

Granted my taste in maps is maybe a bit weird but who wants to play desert arena? Or the ditch? Or dry canyon? I can just imagine TA sitting in his chair with a fine wine and a cigar while stroking his fat lapcat, all the while wearing a slasher grin and thinking "hehehe deal with this cancer hehehehe".
Ceneraii

Has liked: 104 times
Been liked: 81 times
FAF User Name: Ceneraii

Postby SeraphimLeftNut » 05 Nov 2015, 01:02

Ceneraii wrote:Well I liked the old system, then the new one (gotta give it a chance right) and now I feel more towards the old one. Or more accurately, I like the idea of the smaller pool, but in practice I find myself saying ''oh for fucks sake not this map I wanted to just have some fun'' more often than not, at least with the old system I could give a little bit of direction towards what I liked.

Granted my taste in maps is maybe a bit weird but who wants to play desert arena? Or the ditch? Or dry canyon? I can just imagine TA sitting in his chair with a fine wine and a cigar while stroking his fat lapcat, all the while wearing a slasher grin and thinking "hehehe deal with this cancer hehehehe".

He then procedes to press the ladder search button and spils the wine all over the keyboard when another shitty 5x5 map comes up.

The only reason we have more than 2 5x5 maps is because people were mad about this in the previous rotations.

I am not against being able to select certain maps to increase the probability of getting them.
no ui lag: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MdcVdL2kIY
I think this is going to be fun
SeraphimLeftNut
Contributor

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 219 times
FAF User Name: TA4Life

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions