The new map rotation for the ladder

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

Re: The new map rotation for the ladder

Postby tatsu » 23 Jul 2015, 02:10

why are people scared of setons?

i mean it's not even setons it's just that it's a big map that implies a different playstyle. I wager any big map would provoke the same reaction and BIGGER maps even more so.

How can one call oneself king of the hill if one is not master of all playstyles?
tatsu
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 1952 times
Been liked: 171 times
FAF User Name: tatsu

Postby Morax » 23 Jul 2015, 03:06

Mad`Mozart wrote:Also almost forgot, i suggest Better Isis map in a pool :)

Frozen Isis?

There are likes and dislikes of mine with this new idea but overall I'm just really happy something new is being done.

Good job, TA
Maps and Modifications Councilor

M&M Discord Channel

Come join us and help create content with the artists of FAF.
Morax
Councillor - Maps and Mods

Has liked: 1167 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: Morax

Postby Mad`Mozart » 23 Jul 2015, 03:11

Morax wrote:
Mad`Mozart wrote:Also almost forgot, i suggest Better Isis map in a pool :)

Frozen Isis?

Nope, Better Isis.
Its basically a Frozen Isis revamped, just take a look at map preview and you'll see it.
Mad`Mozart
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby Unbroken » 23 Jul 2015, 03:15

As a noob, I currently have a hard time managing everything on a 10x10 map. I'm more comfortable executing noob tactics on the 5x5s since I'm able to keep up with how the game unfolds. I'm sure once I can keep up with all the raids, rebuilding, eco-ing and scouting, I'll come to appreciate the new pool.

I think I'd probably give up if I drew Seton's in a ladder game, since I'd know almost for certain that I'd be toast from being overwhelmed by the amount of things to keep track of.
Unbroken

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 5 times
FAF User Name: Unbroken

Postby codepants » 23 Jul 2015, 03:55

...can it go back to the way it was?

The new map pool is great for pros. Lot of higher-level stuff in there. But for noobs like me who just want to play a game that's not a team game... there used to be maps like Ambush Pass, Balvary Mountains, Blasted Rock, Crag Dunes, etc... I'd even take Comet Catcher over Niflheim. And at least if you got a shitty map you knew the next one wouldn't be so bad because the pool was much larger. The new pool is full of big, hard-to-learn, non-generic stuff that few people know how to play and I'm betting the average game time (excluding people d/c'ing because they get a map they don't want) increases significantly. I want to come home from work and relax playing a quick game or two on a simple map. Maybe I'm wrong but I think I'm going to have to find a new activity.

I know I am just one of many. But my small, insignificant, meaningless vote is... it wasn't perfect, but it wasn't broken, and you tried to fix it. *Now* it's broken.
codepants
Priest

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 54 times
FAF User Name: codepants

Postby theeggroll » 23 Jul 2015, 04:11

the new map pool is very upper level oriented.
An idea BRNK threw out a while ago that i would like to bring back to light is the idea of different rating categories have different map pools. Cuz if i were 200 and i got loki, i wouldnt even know where to start and just feel overwhelmed for the whole game. I think this will help ladder at a high level and drive people U1000 out entirely, and then drive half of people U1500
GMT - 6 http://spooky.github.io/unitdb/#/
When in doubt, Blame Gorton
theeggroll
Priest

Has liked: 228 times
Been liked: 98 times
FAF User Name: theeggroll

Postby nine2 » 23 Jul 2015, 04:15

To me it seems like the community is divided. Half want a lot a variety and half want just a few solid maps. Interestingly most of the vocal pros seem to want the latter option.

A resolution could be each player could set a "Gentlemens Club Only" checkbox. So players get the choice of playing just TA's maps (new ranked) or their own subset of the full range (old ranked).

How to handle it when a gentleman is being matched with a non-gentleman? Always just use TA's maps.

This way all of the people who want TA's maps are always happy. The people who want to play a more diverse map selection are sometimes happy. (And lets face it, those people were only sometimes happy under the old system anyway).

Ta daaa
nine2
Councillor - Promotion

Has liked: 285 times
Been liked: 515 times
FAF User Name: Anihilnine

Postby nine2 » 23 Jul 2015, 04:19

Personally the problem I have with tiny map pool is that good players will be very very good at those maps. Whilst I had a remote chance of beating mephi/chosen before - if we landed a map that I was good at but they weren't. I think my career progression will be even slower now. I guess on the other hand now I have less to focus on. Hmm.

In other news having both Roanoke and White Fire in the permanent pool seems a bit much. Can't one of them be moved to rotation pool?
nine2
Councillor - Promotion

Has liked: 285 times
Been liked: 515 times
FAF User Name: Anihilnine

Postby codepants » 23 Jul 2015, 04:24

Anihilnine wrote:A resolution could be each player could set a "Gentlemens Club Only" checkbox.

This. Do this.

Also I think you hit it on the head with the comment about pros -- the new pool is for pros. Which is great, I don't have a problem with pros. But what, 100 of the thousand of regular players are "pros?" If both can win (above), we should do that. If not... well, as much as I like pros, I also like the vast majority.
codepants
Priest

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 54 times
FAF User Name: codepants

Postby SeraphimLeftNut » 23 Jul 2015, 04:43

If I keep seeing people want 5v5 maps we will get those in, people should also post which small maps they would want to see.
An option to have different map pools for different levels, or an option to use a different map pool, or an option to opt out of some maps are all great ideas that will require more work from the team, but I don't think there is anyone against those options.

I would disagree with the statement that is map pool is pro oriented. In my opinion a good player can more easily beat someone on a map that they both have not seen than on a familiar map, since on famliar maps players can rely more on memory and what they have seen in replays, rather than understanding what is going on.
no ui lag: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MdcVdL2kIY
I think this is going to be fun
SeraphimLeftNut
Contributor

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 219 times
FAF User Name: TA4Life

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions