The new map rotation for the ladder

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

Re: The new map rotation for the ladder

Postby SeraphimLeftNut » 22 Jul 2015, 22:41

ZeRen wrote:and what is minimum maps we can select to make MM work ?

I don't believe this feature exists at this time.
no ui lag: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MdcVdL2kIY
I think this is going to be fun
SeraphimLeftNut
Contributor

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 219 times
FAF User Name: TA4Life

Postby Zock » 22 Jul 2015, 23:10

For 5v5 maps unless many people want them, I am against them because they promote running the acu into enemy base.

I completely agree, they are to a big part stupid and i don't want to play them, but i think many people DO want them, and most of them are not reading the forum. You/we should get some stats which maps got selected most in the previous system to judge it better (if you didn't already and it turned out 5x5 maps were not popular?), but my impression is that the most ladder players were something around 1000 rating and like 5x5 maps quite a bit (unfortunately, but they are the "base" of the ladder, they need to be cared about)

And i'd rather see loki in core pool than eots.

And badlands and syrtis considered for rotation, as two that come to mind, but many more deserve to be.
Last edited by Zock on 22 Jul 2015, 23:15, edited 2 times in total.
gg no re

ohh! what a pretty shining link! https://www.youtube.com/c/Zockyzock
Zock
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 173 times
Been liked: 397 times
FAF User Name: Zock

Postby Blodir » 22 Jul 2015, 23:12

It goes without saying that this post contains opinions *gasp*

Hi, it's cool this is finally happening. As usual I'd like to voice my opinion on wanting even less maps. Additionally it would be nice to be able to opt-out of 20x20 or 5x5 (or both) maps.

I think a cool map pool size would be 6, 3, 3 (10x10, 5x5, 20x20 respectively) with the opt-out feature. You could then swap out about 6 maps total bimonthly.

Both 5x5 and 20x20 should be opt-out by default.

Without the opt-out feature, I would recommend dropping:
- Theta 5: since it's very similar to Theta Passage
- Vya-3: ends up in unnecessarily long games, I don't think it offers anything that the other maps don't - I don't see any reason I would rather play a game on Vya than on Twin Rivers
- Seraphim Outpost: sorry speed2, just about everyone hates this map. While jamming is certainly something different, it does not really enhance a players gaming experience. 'Cancer' I believe is the correct terminology. There's also quite a few annoying map design decisions that just don't make it very enjoyable to play (reclaim, mex placement etc.)

I would like to see Syrtis Major or Forbidden Pass in the core pool. I think Crossfire Canal is a vastly superior 20x20 map to Roanoke Abyss, which is really fucking boring map design wise. I agree with the principle of trying to have some naval maps in the pool, however there is not a single good 1v1 naval map in the game. Trying to force a few in there out of principle simply won't make for an enjoyable experience.
Blodir
Contributor

Has liked: 489 times
Been liked: 535 times
FAF User Name: Snowbound

Postby SeraphimLeftNut » 22 Jul 2015, 23:22

Zock wrote:
For 5v5 maps unless many people want them, I am against them because they promote running the acu into enemy base.

I completely agree, they are to a big part stupid and i don't want to play them, but i think many people DO want them, and most of them are not reading the forum. You/we should get some stats which maps got selected most in the previous system to judge it better (if you didn't already and it turned out 5x5 maps were not popular?), but my impression is that the most ladder players were something around 1000 rating and like 5x5 maps quite a bit (unfortunately, but they are the "base" of the ladder, they need to be cared about)

And i'd rather see loki in core pool than eots.

And badlands and syrtis considered for rotation, as two that come to mind, but many more deserve to be.

badlands and syrtis are some of my choices to be rotated in next.
I like loki a lot, but I have heard some hate toward it.

I will look for people complaining about 5x5 maps, but if I don't hear a lot of it I am not likely to put them in.
SeraphimLeftNut
Contributor

Postby Hascins » 22 Jul 2015, 23:25

Blodir wrote:Hi, it's cool this is finally happening.

This! Like the maps; don't like too much 5x5 maps anymore but I know I liked them when I started playing FAF; guess Zock is right there.
Hascins
Contributor

Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 24 times
FAF User Name: Hascins

Postby SeraphimLeftNut » 22 Jul 2015, 23:35

Blodir wrote:It goes without saying that this post contains opinions *gasp*

Hi, it's cool this is finally happening. As usual I'd like to voice my opinion on wanting even less maps. Additionally it would be nice to be able to opt-out of 20x20 or 5x5 (or both) maps.

I think a cool map pool size would be 6, 3, 3 (10x10, 5x5, 20x20 respectively) with the opt-out feature. You could then swap out about 6 maps total bimonthly.

Without the opt-out feature, I would recommend dropping:
- Theta 5: since it's very similar to Theta Passage
- Vya-3: ends up in unnecessarily long games, I don't think it offers anything that the other maps don't - I don't see any reason I would rather play a game on Vya than on Twin Rivers
- Seraphim Outpost: sorry speed2, just about everyone hates this map. While jamming is certainly something different, it does not really enhance a players gaming experience. 'Cancer' I believe is the correct terminology. There's also quite a few annoying map design decisions that just don't make it very enjoyable to play (reclaim, mex placement etc.)

I would like to see Syrtis Major or Forbidden Pass in the core pool. I think Crossfire Canal is a vastly superior 20x20 map to Roanoke Abyss, which is really fucking boring map design wise. I agree with the principle of trying to have some naval maps in the pool, however there is not a single good 1v1 naval map in the game. Trying to force a few in there out of principle simply won't make for an enjoyable experience.

Forbidden Pass is one of my favorite maps, but I have heard people complain that the top and bottom spawn locations are not balanced. If it is deemed to be balanced then I would definitely rotate it in.
Vya-3 is in because it is a classic and does offer a two front battle unlike rivers.
Roanoke is the best multisland map we have and is a classic and phantom players know it and I want mozart to keep playing the ladder.
Crossfire should be rotated in at some point.
Yes we need a few new good naval 1v1 maps. I think speed2 could make it happen.
SeraphimLeftNut
Contributor

Postby Phelom » 23 Jul 2015, 00:05

I think that more official maps should be in ladder... and also famouse 5x5 maps, they all give diffrent gameplay.. simply because it's a 1v1 and it's Suprem Commander game, think also about new coming players ? how could they play new maps if they even do know official ones ?
Phelom

Has liked: 104 times
Been liked: 25 times
FAF User Name: Phelom/Gurzil

Postby tatsu » 23 Jul 2015, 00:29

add setons back?

dunno why anyone would complain about 1v1 setons it's great to have something OTHER than t1 for once. and as people said more navy.

Just recently Zlo and Pachuriko prooved once again that how fantastic setons 1v1 is :

tatsu
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 1952 times
Been liked: 171 times
FAF User Name: tatsu

Postby theeggroll » 23 Jul 2015, 00:38

Seton's 1v1 makes me almost control k when I get it in ladder. Personally I'm a huge fan of 5x5 maps, but I understand that the general majority don't like them. Desert arena makes ladder a lot more fun for me because its not as sweaty a game, just an epic spam fight that's easy to play and there's lots of battles and stuff.

I think the map pool is centered too much around navy, and such a small map pool is gonna lead to a lot of BO whoring (which as an infrequent ladder player is very annoying) but overall I'm glad this happened. Unfortunately for me its a bunch of maps I don't like but not that big a deal. Rock on TA!

Also a very bug fan of opt outs like gtfo roanoke
GMT - 6 http://spooky.github.io/unitdb/#/
When in doubt, Blame Gorton
theeggroll
Priest

Has liked: 228 times
Been liked: 98 times
FAF User Name: theeggroll

Postby Zoram » 23 Jul 2015, 00:51

I love Badlands, I'd like to have it back :)

on 5*5 maps, I find it very annoying when matched against people who com rush at the very start. That said, I feel those who do that do it all the time, so it's game over in 5 minutes, nut once you know it's coming, you build one PD and the com rusher is dead.

These kind of games aside, I find there are some nice games to be had on 5*5 maps. (exception being winter duel where, at my level anyway, gun upgrade wins everytime).

I agree an opt out option would be nice though.

I don't mind seton's 1v1, just for the WTF value of it. But lots of people disconnect immediately.
Zoram
Priest

Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 111 times
FAF User Name: zoram

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions