Air Unit balance

Balance discussions for The Nomads.

Moderators: Softly, pip, Brute51, CookieNoob, JJ173, Moritz

Air Unit balance

Postby Softly » 01 Aug 2012, 17:46

I'm gonna start this thread with a discussion regarding the Exp transport cost.

Comparing it to the t3 uef transport, it can transport 3x the units at t3, and also has 5x health.
So taking upper of these two, 5x mass cost of t3= 7000
Adding the cost of air fac upgrades that comes to about 10500 mass
Then there is the torp capability for that dps you need roughly 1500 mass worth of torp bombers. (t2)
=12000

Then theres still the aa capability and exp transport to account for, which I will approximate to 4000 mass.

Total 16000 mass at this stage. Of course this is very rough, but I think would better price the transport than it is at the moment.

Comparing this to the Czar at 45000 mass- it may seem very cheap. But put a beamer on the comet and the two units become quite comparable. 3 comets with beamers have similar direct fire, aa, health, and mass costs.

The comet would however have more torp dps, and the ability to drop into enemy bases as well as being used as a ghetto gunship vs the czars factory.

Considering this my final reccommendation would be bring the cost down to 18000, possibly with a view to lowering it further if thats too much still.
Softly
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 251 times
FAF User Name: Softles

Re: Air Unit balance

Postby Softly » 04 Aug 2012, 13:57

I just played a few ASF off against each other in sandbox, fafreplay://242508

Just small numbers of asf as I can't micro both sides, but in about 5 fights Nomads beat aeon every time. Its not by much but if they could be nerfed slightly then it could be that they only win every other time, aka be no better than other factions.
Softly
Supreme Commander

Postby Casimus » 24 Dec 2012, 21:16

Might be a bit late on the reply for this one> being someone who has played some air from time to time on Seton s I have a few comments.

1) Nomads v Aeon seems to favor the Nomads, that said I have won Aeon v Nomad just by being a little sharper on the micro.
2) Nomads v UEF seems to favor UEF, with the health of the UEF fighters being higher it seems to really make a difference again micro permitting I think UEF is slightly better especially in good numbers.

I did also test Sera & Cybran both seemed weaker than Nomads but then I would always pick Aeon over either of them personally.

For me it adds an interesting dimension to the air game and it might spark people to use UEF air a little more, which would be nice to see. Nomads has its place in factions however further live game testing would be needed to clarify further.
Casimus
Banned

Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 23 times
FAF User Name: SN_CASIMITSU

Postby pip » 25 Dec 2012, 11:40

Casimus wrote:Might be a bit late on the reply for this one> being someone who has played some air from time to time on Seton s I have a few comments.

1) Nomads v Aeon seems to favor the Nomads, that said I have won Aeon v Nomad just by being a little sharper on the micro.
2) Nomads v UEF seems to favor UEF, with the health of the UEF fighters being higher it seems to really make a difference again micro permitting I think UEF is slightly better especially in good numbers.

I did also test Sera & Cybran both seemed weaker than Nomads but then I would always pick Aeon over either of them personally.

For me it adds an interesting dimension to the air game and it might spark people to use UEF air a little more, which would be nice to see. Nomads has its place in factions however further live game testing would be needed to clarify further.

I saw your tests Casimus, they were in build 35. In build 36, Nomads ASF have 12 less DPS (420 instead of 432) and 50 more HP. It's a nerf that will probably make them weaker than the other ASF (even the Cybran and Seraphim) and quite weaker than UEF, but it's intented because they have t3 mobile AA. However, if you can run some tests again to check if they are not too weak, now, it would be appreciated.
pip
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 191 times
Been liked: 86 times
FAF User Name: pip

Postby VIP » 25 Dec 2012, 21:27

Just tested nomads asf - its have way to less hp(2250) I think. ASF have same weapon as uef but they lost to uef in sandbox - need to make same hp or more powerful dps for weapon.
Also their t3 bomber have ridiculous dps - 2200 or some thing, when weakest cybran have 2750 dps >.>
VIP
Crusader

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Softly » 25 Dec 2012, 22:10

yes but they have much better splash, check the db. They absolutely pwn t1 land armies, t1 engies, t2 land etc.

They're just not so good for snipes
Softly
Supreme Commander

Return to Nomads Balance