problems with team set up in lobby, unit limits

General Discussions about The Nomads.

Moderators: Softly, pip, Brute51, CookieNoob, JJ173, Moritz

problems with team set up in lobby, unit limits

Postby piratep2r » 18 Mar 2014, 17:54

Hello!

Excellent mod, thanks for making it!

Problem 1: While setting up a coop comp stomp using Nomads, our lobby settings for teams are deleted by the game once the game starts. If you set teams to "fixed" in the lobby, there is nothing you can do about this once you are in game. If it is not fixed, I was able to ally with another human player after the game started (by manually allying) but the AI "teams" no longer existed. Is this a known bug? Is this something I should post a log about?

Problem 2: We attempted to limit the units allowed by ruling out T3 artillery. I think this selection is called "game enders" or something. Anyway, despite our selection we (and the AI) could still build everything including T3 artillery (man that Nomad T3 is just brutal...). Again, is this the sort of thing a log would help with?

Sorry about the lack of logs, am posting from work, I'm not sure a log would help (the game never crashed), and I figure this is probably a known issue already. I just couldn't find anything about it by reading a few pages into the Nomads forum.

Cheers, and thanks again for making this awesome mod!

-P
piratep2r
Crusader

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1 time
FAF User Name: piratep2r

Re: problems with team set up in lobby, unit limits

Postby Brute51 » 19 Mar 2014, 01:32

Hi, thanks for the feedback!

#1: is new for me. I'm not entirely sure what you mean because I never played coop missions. I'm also not sure what I can do about it. That Nomads seems to work in coop, be it with some issues, actually amazes me. I've never tested it :-)

#2: Unit restrictions is something of a grey area. The unit restrictions system is actually part of the lobby. FAF lobby isn't designed for Nomads, only for the first 4 factions (that's why there some discrepancies in the lobby running Nomads). I might be able to fix this by simply overwriting a small part of the lobby but that would leave me maintaining that bit of code aswell. Perhaps I can get Xinonny to include Nomads' units in the unit restrictions of the FAF lobby...
Brute51

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 15 times
FAF User Name: Brute51

Postby Xinnony » 19 Mar 2014, 02:32

Nobody told me that there was bug with Nomads ...
Xinnony
Contributor

Has liked: 70 times
Been liked: 34 times
FAF User Name: Xinnony

Postby Brute51 » 19 Mar 2014, 10:03

It isn't your fault, but you may be able to do a proper fix.
Brute51

Postby Xinnony » 19 Mar 2014, 12:51

Yes I think to be well suited for this task, but I already have quite a few things to finish the current Lobby before.
Xinnony
Contributor

Has liked: 70 times
Been liked: 34 times
FAF User Name: Xinnony

Postby piratep2r » 19 Mar 2014, 16:09

Brute51 wrote:Hi, thanks for the feedback!

#1: is new for me. I'm not entirely sure what you mean because I never played coop missions. I'm also not sure what I can do about it. That Nomads seems to work in coop, be it with some issues, actually amazes me. I've never tested it :-)

Sorry that I was unclear, and thanks for reading! What I meant by "coop comp stomp" was when my brother and I set ourselves up as Team 1 and 2 AIXs as team 2 in the lobby, and have selected either a standard map (like FO Isis or Setons C) or a basic custom map. I'm not talking about the coop missions from FA or SC that are now on FAF. Is this more clear? When the game starts, it is always a free-for-all, no matter how we change the settings in the lobby.

Brute51 wrote:
#2: Unit restrictions is something of a grey area. The unit restrictions system is actually part of the lobby. FAF lobby isn't designed for Nomads, only for the first 4 factions (that's why there some discrepancies in the lobby running Nomads). I might be able to fix this by simply overwriting a small part of the lobby but that would leave me maintaining that bit of code aswell. Perhaps I can get Xinonny to include Nomads' units in the unit restrictions of the FAF lobby...

Cool - I appreciate the info. Just knowing what is going on makes me feel better!

I do note that I think the unit-limitation system is completely incompatible with the nomads mod at the moment, because when you restrict a unit, the game still allows everyone to build it, not just the nomads.

Final question: is this the sort of thing me posting logs would help with?
piratep2r
Crusader

Postby Brute51 » 19 Mar 2014, 16:48

piratep2r wrote:Final question: is this the sort of thing me posting logs would help with?

Depends a bit on the situation. Most of the time: yes. In case #2: no, because I already know what's wrong and dont need log files to find the problem. For case #1: yes log files please. I've never seen a Nomads game start as FFA even though it was set up as team vs team so I"ll need log files to see what's going on. What other mods are you playing? And what happens if you disable all mods besides Nomads?
Brute51

Postby piratep2r » 21 Mar 2014, 06:55

Hey Brute,

Thanks for the quick reply.

So I've spent some time today with and without my brother, and in neither case can we get the problem to replicate. Everything seems perfectly good - teams act as they should for us, ai is allied as it should be (as we set it). Very weird. The only thing we didn't try was setting up a unit limit again (like no t3 artillery/game enders), since previous explanations made it clear that this would not work. Maybe that is what triggered the problem, but if it is not that I have no idea.

Sorry for the wild goose chase,

P

Edit - just went back and tried the unit-limit in a skirmish game (me + ai (allied) vs 2x ai (allied). It is the unit limit that makes every game a Free-for-all, at least for me. Setting a unit limit (like no game enders) deletes any pre-set team info. Logs to come in a moment once I figure them out.
piratep2r
Crusader

Postby Brute51 » 23 Mar 2014, 10:50

Ah yeah I can reproduce that problem now. It looks like it only happens when running Nomads, I'll check it out. Thanks!
Brute51

Return to Nomads Discussions