Hotbuild and Nomads

General Discussions about The Nomads.

Moderators: Softly, pip, Brute51, CookieNoob, JJ173, Moritz

Hotbuild and Nomads

Postby Brute51 » 12 Mar 2014, 10:06

Sometimes people mention that Hotbuild doesn't work when playing Nomads. "Doesn't work" is so generic that I don't even know what to check. I can't check the whole Hotbuild mod because I don't know what it's supposed to do (yay for documentation). As far as I know the mod works. If you disagree please post here with exact steps in detail to reproduce the problem. I cannot fix the problem otherwise. Thanks in advance!
Brute51

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 15 times
FAF User Name: Brute51

Re: Hotbuild and Nomads

Postby nine2 » 12 Mar 2014, 10:45

For me it was the hotbuild shortcuts (eg W) didnt work if i was nomads faction. It DID work for other factions inside a nomads game. This was a month or three ago, before FAF integration
nine2
Councillor - Promotion

Has liked: 285 times
Been liked: 515 times
FAF User Name: Anihilnine

Postby Brute51 » 12 Mar 2014, 11:45

Can you try again? Some modifications were done in the current version of Nomads for Hotbuild compatibility. This probably fixed the problem.
Brute51

Postby nine2 » 12 Mar 2014, 12:44

Yep so it works pretty good. The only thing I noticed is i dont have my shared across-faction build templates, and that even when i remake some build templates, the 'g' key doesn't use them.

Can I just say omg a) how the hell did you make a new faction and b) nice job man truly and c) how many hours have been spent making this?
nine2
Councillor - Promotion

Postby nine2 » 12 Mar 2014, 12:49

Oh and I also noticed that on attackmove, arty and t1 sniper dont stop when targets are in range. Not sure if this is intended as I haven't looked into nomads at all.
nine2
Councillor - Promotion

Postby Brute51 » 15 Mar 2014, 18:11

Thanks for that partytime, I'll try to fix that problem. No more hotbuild issues than this one? Great!

@partytime:
A: with a lot of effort and time, and notepad, Blender and the Gimp (image editor). Several people have been working on the mod.
C: it would be inefficient to use terms of hours, lets use months instead. Many many months, couple of years already. It's all a hobby project so just in the weekends, evenings, etc.
About attack move: the units you mention need some time to come to a stand still, most other units don't. I think that is what you see happening.
Brute51

Postby pip » 15 Mar 2014, 18:58

All units, not just nomads, that have more than 26 range will shoot at 26 range when they are on attack move. It's hard coded in the engine, as far as I know. If you want to use max range, you need to micro, wether with sniper tanks, t1 mobile arties, Hoplites, etc.
pip
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 191 times
Been liked: 86 times
FAF User Name: pip

Postby nine2 » 16 Mar 2014, 05:03

pip wrote:All units, not just nomads, that have more than 26 range will shoot at 26 range when they are on attack move. It's hard coded in the engine, as far as I know. If you want to use max range, you need to micro, wether with sniper tanks, t1 mobile arties, Hoplites, etc.

How did I not know that already? To agree with you, I have noticed this 'problem' of mine happen on non-nomads games as well
nine2
Councillor - Promotion

Postby Brute51 » 17 Mar 2014, 11:27

partytime wrote:Yep so it works pretty good. The only thing I noticed is i dont have my shared across-faction build templates, and that even when i remake some build templates, the 'g' key doesn't use them.

You're gonna have to tell me how to reproduce this problem because I can't reproduce it. I don't know much about hotbuild and I don't know how to verify that there are "shared across faction build templates". The G button doesn't seem to do anything.
Brute51

Postby nine2 » 17 Mar 2014, 12:29

Ok so there are two things going on here
1. the g key cycles through all of your build templates, allowing you to easily place them
2. normally FA treats different templates for different factions differently. So if you set up a template for a pd and 8 walls whilst playing as cybran, you cannot access that template as seraphim. Somewhere in gaz/hotbuild they fixed that so all of your build templates are available for all factions.

So to say it a different way:
1. fire up a cybran non-nomads game, make a build template, then press g to place the template
2. fire up an aeon non-nomads game, press g to place the (set up as cybran) template
3. fire up an aeon nomads game, g still works to place the template, great
4. fire up a nomads nomads game, g does nothing. does not pick up the cybran template.

there are two things broken here...
a) templates not shared
b) g-key not working at all (irregardless of if templates are shared or not)

thanks for looking into this. for me, lack of hotbuild was the only thing stopping me from playing nomads
nine2
Councillor - Promotion

Next

Return to Nomads Discussions