My Input

General Discussions about The Nomads.

Moderators: Softly, pip, Brute51, CookieNoob, JJ173, Moritz

My Input

Postby IceDreamer » 16 Feb 2014, 01:22

All right Nomads guys, time for IceDreamer's dressing down! About time I took a real look at this thing...

The things I don't like

T3 Rocket Artillery - The sound FX of the launch gets a bit blurred together. Would be better shorter, so each separate launch sequence can be properly heard. Also, the Rocket trails are much too solid and blinding, a problem for all Nomads Rockets in fact.

T3 Artillery - From my testing, it seems a tad unreliable... It doesn't like ground firing :/

Crawler - It is unclear when this unit can and cannot move. For some reason it had a lot of trouble responding to move commands sometimes.

Field Engineer - This is a UEF unique unit. I simply can't express how fundamentally WRONG it feels to have another one enter the fray, no matter how different it may be. I really, REALLY don't like this unit.

AA Flares on Air units - These were removed from current units which used to have them because they were incredible overpowered. Be careful...

T2 Cruiser - Yes another cruiser which uses long range missiles for ground bombardment? Nothing wrong with it per say, but it's lazy design as far as I'm concerned. Be nice to see something new.

Things I like

T1 Tank Destroyer - Just a really nice idea, basically a mobile PD.

T3 Mobile AA - An appropriate unique unit

T3 Rocket Artillery - Another appropriate unique unit

Things I really like

Shield/Stealth fusion generators - This is pure genius. I love these :D

TML Launch Button - Can we have this for all factions please?

Bombard Mode - This is awesome. I really, really like how this works, especially on the Bullfrog when it causes the front cannon to strafe back and forth.

Underwater MML - Epic idea, I love the gameplay opportunities this will introduce.

T2 Torpedo Gunship - Another fabulous fusion unit, perfect joining, and a really useful looking unit. Versatility is always fun.

Things which are ?????????????

Gunships can "Pinpoint for Artillery" - Couldn't seem to make this work. What does it do, and is it functional yet?

Transportable Navy - Not right now it's not. What's up with this?
IceDreamer
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 488 times

Re: My Input

Postby pip » 16 Feb 2014, 15:20

IceDreamer wrote:
Crawler - It is unclear when this unit can and cannot move. For some reason it had a lot of trouble responding to move commands sometimes.

It cannot move while in bombard mode, can move in default mode.

IceDreamer wrote:Field Engineer - This is a UEF unique unit. I simply can't express how fundamentally WRONG it feels to have another one enter the fray, no matter how different it may be. I really, REALLY don't like this unit.

It's more a mobile TMD than a sparky, it cannot shoot at anything, and cannot take a beating.

IceDreamer wrote:AA Flares on Air units - These were removed from current units which used to have them because they were incredible overpowered. Be careful...

Flares have 5 seconds reload.

IceDreamer wrote:T2 Cruiser - Yes another cruiser which uses long range missiles for ground bombardment? Nothing wrong with it per say, but it's lazy design as far as I'm concerned. Be nice to see something new.

The Nomads cruiser is completely different from all other cruisers. Its missile weapon is not long range, it has 100 range, compared to 150 range for the other cruisers, but the missile homes. It's a single, homing missile rather than long range, arc bombardment cruiser.
Secondary weapon stuns and deal additional damages to shields (and poor damages to units).

IceDreamer wrote:Gunships can "Pinpoint for Artillery" - Couldn't seem to make this work. What does it do, and is it functional yet?

Artilleries are twice more accurate when targets are pinpointed by units which can pinpoint them (for instance gunships).
IceDreamer wrote:Transportable Navy - Not right now it's not. What's up with this?

Only the t4 air experimental can transport naval units.
pip
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 191 times
Been liked: 86 times
FAF User Name: pip

Postby Dragonfire » 16 Feb 2014, 16:06

IceDreamer wrote:TML Launch Button - Can we have this for all factions please?

All factions have a TML Launch Button, also a Nuke Launch Button ;)

TODO:
What happen if a friend gives me a TML Launcher ...
Check if the button apears.
My native language is not english, please correct me, because I want to improve my skills # Resource Overview
Dragonfire
Evaluator

Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 61 times
FAF User Name: Dragonfire

Postby IceDreamer » 16 Feb 2014, 19:15

pip wrote:It's more a mobile TMD than a sparky, it cannot shoot at anything, and cannot take a beating.

It still feels wrong. Might I suggest you differentiate it even further? Sparky can set up a powerful Point Defence Creep. Remove PD and AA from the Nomads one and allow it to build Radar and Sonar instead. TMD too if it can't already (I know it has its own but still).

pip wrote:Flares have 5 seconds reload.

The concern with the old units wasn't the reload, it was the fact that a single flare-enabled unit completely disables all SAMs and ASFs for that crucial moment when they need to be shooting down an incoming Bomber run. It was pretty dumb. You need to make sure this can't happen.

pip wrote:Artilleries are twice more accurate when targets are pinpointed by units which can pinpoint them (for instance gunships).

Well yes, but how does on pinpoint something? Just attack it?

pip wrote:Only the t4 air experimental can transport naval units.

Not right now it can't. At least not in my tests, not with Ferry, Transport's active button, or clicking the Naval unit and telling it to go into the transport.
IceDreamer
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 488 times

Postby pip » 16 Feb 2014, 19:37

The nomads field engineer is different enough from the Sparky : short range TMD / weapon, small radius radar / excellent and free jammer ; lower HP / higher HP. Other than that, it's a typical field engineer. It's meant to build firebases too. A firebase without pd makes no sense.

The flare is only attached to gunships and transports, not to bombers.

Pinpointing is automatically done when a unit with artillery support is near a target and artilleries or supported weapons are shooting at this target.

The t4 transport can transport only one ship at a time. It works for me, if it doesn't for you, maybe a mod is a problem.
pip
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 191 times
Been liked: 86 times
FAF User Name: pip

Postby Brute51 » 16 Feb 2014, 22:34

Thanks for the feedback!

For the naval transport try this: have the naval unit selected and right click on the Comet. The Comet will pick up the naval unit and you can transport it anywhere you want.
Brute51

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 15 times
FAF User Name: Brute51

Return to Nomads Discussions