Allowing ranked games in nomads.

General Discussions about The Nomads.

Moderators: Softly, pip, Brute51, CookieNoob, JJ173, Moritz

Allowing ranked games in nomads.

Postby sasin » 04 Dec 2013, 21:03

I believe that nomads is being updated and further integrated soon. This is awesome, and I really enjoy playing it and appreciate the effort everyone has put into it. I know that this discussion has been had to an extent already, but I wanted to bring up the idea of allowing ranked matches with the nomads faction. I recall that people said it wasn't a good idea because the nomads aren't as well balanced as all other factions. But, I am not proposing that ALL ranked matches be allowed to have nomads, but rather, that those that are choosing to allow the nomads can also choose to have those matches ranked. No one forces anyone to play nomads, so people who don't think it's balanced wouldn't have to deal with it.

The mod is essentially the same as the core game. There is no question that skill in a game where nomads is involved is the same thing as skill in a game where nomads isn't involved. Those of us who feel that the faction is balanced enough to play with in a ranked setting should be allowed to do so. Also, there are a lot of people that prefer to play ranked, and it'd be a lot easier to get a nomads game going if it was allowed to be ranked.
sasin
Priest

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 43 times
FAF User Name: sasin

Re: Allowing ranked games in nomads.

Postby necxelos » 15 Feb 2014, 03:14

+1 for that

Integrate nomads with the game. Make them an expansion/patch not a mod. Mod sounds so wrong.
Supreme Commander FAF, Supreme Commander 2 RVE, Planetary Annihilation: Titans - those are only good RTS games left!
necxelos

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1 time
FAF User Name: necxelos

Postby Apofenas » 15 Feb 2014, 09:07

necxelos wrote:+1 for that

Integrate nomads with the game. Make them an expansion/patch not a mod. Mod sounds so wrong.

I do not think that this mod is that balanced to be integrated into main FAF game mode and i do not like an idea of adding new units there in general. But i really like an idea of special mod ratings which do not affect the main one. Black ops is the most playable mod; it could have its rating. As for nomads, i don't really think it's being played too much.
BalanceVictim wrote:I tried it out, and yes, the anti-torpedo is a useful tool now. Sadly, the rest of the unit is still extremely weak compared to any other frig
Apofenas
Contributor

Has liked: 179 times
Been liked: 180 times
FAF User Name: Apofenas

Postby da_monstr » 15 Feb 2014, 11:16

I don't think Nomads have been balanced enough just yet. They haven't been played enough for that to be possible. TBH, I haven't seen a single Nomads game hosted in the last few months.
Peace through superior firepower.
[Total Biscuit, comparing FA to SupCom2] "The scale and the sublime nature of the economy was ruined with Supreme Commander 2, which I absolutely despised. Oh god, I hate that game so very much."
da_monstr
Priest

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 20 times
FAF User Name: Mainstay

Postby Dragonfire » 15 Feb 2014, 11:49

da_monstr wrote:I don't think Nomads have been balanced enough just yet. They haven't been played enough for that to be possible. TBH, I haven't seen a single Nomads game hosted in the last few months.

If you integrate Nomads into the game, people will play Nomads and give you feedback ...
Maybe it speeds up the balance progress!
My native language is not english, please correct me, because I want to improve my skills # Resource Overview
Dragonfire
Evaluator

Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 61 times
FAF User Name: Dragonfire

Postby Brute51 » 15 Feb 2014, 12:32

@Dragonfire: you're right, that is the only way to get proper balance feedback. We saw that with the recent FAF patch 3629. It wasn't tested properly until it was put live. In a matter of hours several bugs were reported and fixed. If more than 3 people had played the balance mod before it was live then these would have been found earlier. That said, Nomads is around much longer and it is played more than the balance patch for 3629.

We're trying to finish Nomads in the next couple of months. The backbone of the mod (the gameplay) is pretty much complete but there's still a lot is to be done. We feel the mod is already quite balanced but if you have remarks don't hesitate to post them! (In the correct forum!) We're really eager to get feedback.
Brute51

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 15 times
FAF User Name: Brute51

Postby Dragonfire » 15 Feb 2014, 13:34

Brute51 wrote:@Dragonfire: you're right, that is the only way to get proper balance feedback. We saw that with the recent FAF patch 3629. It wasn't tested properly until it was put live. In a matter of hours several bugs were reported and fixed. If more than 3 people had played the balance mod before it was live then these would have been found earlier. That said, Nomads is around much longer and it is played more than the balance patch for 3629.

We're trying to finish Nomads in the next couple of months. The backbone of the mod (the gameplay) is pretty much complete but there's still a lot is to be done. We feel the mod is already quite balanced but if you have remarks don't hesitate to post them! (In the correct forum!) We're really eager to get feedback.

Thanks ...
I have no idea of the nomad status,
that the reason I suggested:
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=6670
My native language is not english, please correct me, because I want to improve my skills # Resource Overview
Dragonfire
Evaluator

Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 61 times
FAF User Name: Dragonfire

Postby Apofenas » 15 Feb 2014, 13:47

Making all balance changes useless by adding unbalanced nomads in main game mode? No, thanks. I remember in last balance change there was a huge discussion about adding t3 mobile aa in game to nerf t3 air, but nobody liked an idea of new units and now we are talking about whole new army.

If people would be interested in playing nomads, there would be a lot of games with this mod. If people would be interested in balancing nomad, there would be a lot of topics in nomad forum section. In real, there isn't many posts and games.

I think that only thing that can be done is to adapt nomads by adding there faf changes and if people will like it and PLAY it a lot, there will be oppotrunity to integrate it in faf.
BalanceVictim wrote:I tried it out, and yes, the anti-torpedo is a useful tool now. Sadly, the rest of the unit is still extremely weak compared to any other frig
Apofenas
Contributor

Has liked: 179 times
Been liked: 180 times
FAF User Name: Apofenas

Postby Brute51 » 15 Feb 2014, 14:10

@Dragonfire: to report issues for Nomads you can also use the issue tracker in Nomads' bitbucket, found here.
Brute51

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 15 times
FAF User Name: Brute51

Postby pip » 15 Feb 2014, 14:28

Apofenas wrote:Making all balance changes useless by adding unbalanced nomads in main game mode? No, thanks. I remember in last balance change there was a huge discussion about adding t3 mobile aa in game to nerf t3 air, but nobody liked an idea of new units and now we are talking about whole new army.

If people would be interested in playing nomads, there would be a lot of games with this mod. If people would be interested in balancing nomad, there would be a lot of topics in nomad forum section. In real, there isn't many posts and games.

I think that only thing that can be done is to adapt nomads by adding there faf changes and if people will like it and PLAY it a lot, there will be oppotrunity to integrate it in faf.

Nomads integration is a part of FAF roadmap, wether you like them or not. If you don't want to contribute to their balance, and never intend to play them, that's all fine, but you're wasting your time posting against their integration.
pip
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 191 times
Been liked: 86 times
FAF User Name: pip

Next

Return to Nomads Discussions