Recommended changes for the nomads.

General Discussions about The Nomads.

Moderators: Softly, pip, Brute51, CookieNoob, JJ173, Moritz

Recommended changes for the nomads.

Postby flaminius » 05 Jan 2013, 04:45

The T4 Carrier

I consider land based exp as either one of two catergories. Light exp and heavy
Light experimentals would be the monkeylord, the new nomad light t4 tank and the missile launcher.
Heavy would be the likes of GC, Megalith, yTHOTHA and the new nomad super heavy tank.
I believe the carrier should be able to lift all the light exp..which would mean adding the ability to lift the monkey lord. I understand this is not the case at present.

I also think consideration needs to be given to whether or not is should be able to lift naval units.
A battleship would theoretically weigh a similar amount to the monkey lord and i think this would add a great strategic element to the use of the carrier.
I dont believe it would be over powered as the slow speed of the transport coupled with the need to dominate the air would make amassing a huge navy very difficult.
I think it should be able to life one battleship/battlecruiser/missileship/aircraftcarrier at a time.
or
Two Cruisers/Destroyers/torpedo boat/shield boat/counterintelligence boat at a time
or
4 frigates/gunboats
I dont think subs should be liftable as well as the atlantis or aeon battleship)

Power gens.
I understand the texturing is still work in progress and whilst i applaud the amount of work that has gone into this faction i think the ultimate goal would be to try and make them consistent with the other factions in game.

It would be nice if power gens followed a similar sort of upgrade pattern to the other factions. I..e They resemble each tech closely but offer more bulk. As it stands the three level power gens for nomads look completely disimilar and bare no resemblance at all. I like the model of the t2 powergen. Regardless. The t2 and t3 power gens look good. The t1 power gen looks awful.

Colour
Once again i understand this is minor and still work in progress:
I like that my units look cool when playing however whilst i like the nomads units appearance the colour chosen as their main theme makes them look ugly. I understand you are going for a run-down sort of look, but can this not be done with a grey or black instead of the horrible brown that we have now?. I think a matt black would suit this faction perfectly.

The Quantum gateway
The nomads have access to a quantum gateway despite it being stated in the faction description that they do not have gateway tech. I believe this item should be removed and replaced with some sort of landing bay. The landing bay would cost the same amount as a quantum gateway and the scu it calls in would cost the same amount of resources as for other factions. The difference here is about giving the faction a distinct flavour that is consistent with their description. The SCU should be dropped onto the landing bay in pretty much the same fashion as the ACU.
flaminius

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: Flaminius

Re: Recommended changes for the nomads.

Postby pip » 05 Jan 2013, 11:39

Thanks for the feedback! You may have some pleasant surprises in the future...
But some things can't change now, like the colours, which were a choice by the old team. Since we have nobody to redo 100+ textures, it's just impossible to change the global colour.
pip
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 191 times
Been liked: 86 times
FAF User Name: pip

Postby Brute51 » 05 Jan 2013, 14:16

What Pip said. Just wanted to add that it's not possible to make the destincition in transporting ships as you mentioned. It won't be possible to transport more than 1 ship on the Comet, unless we make ships like the frigates act like T3 units, which would make all transport able to transport frigates (including other factions transports).

By the way, feel free to post other ideas you have (not just you but anyone)!
Brute51

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 15 times
FAF User Name: Brute51

Postby Scalestor » 05 Jan 2013, 17:57

Concerning textures: Ughs. Yes, technical speaking it IS possible to make a rather quick redo, if i manage to find all the .psd files again. Thing is, that I had exactly the possibility of quick changes in mind. However I'm currently lacking time (going abroad for half a year) so I would rather shed this work until later.
Scalestor

Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: Scalestor

Postby Astrofoo » 19 Jan 2013, 01:46

TA4life mentioned that Nomads' ships should have pirate flags on them and I agree. Since in the background information post you said they were 'space pirates' I think this would really fit. It would also make them unique and let's face it, awesome.
"So now everything without a shield is gonna die, and everything with a shield is gonna die a little later." -TA4Life on the Mavor
Astrofoo
Contributor

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 8 times
FAF User Name: Astrofoo911

Postby Softly » 19 Jan 2013, 01:59

So a very much futuristic highly advanced faction of space going people, with ast armies capable of holding their own in the infinite war, would decide its worthwhile painting pirate flags on the sides of their several hundred metre long sea going ships because "it fits"?

I remain unconvinced...

Besides since when did any of the other factions paint flags on their units, it seems a bit gimmicky to me thats all.
Softly
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 251 times
FAF User Name: Softles

Postby Astrofoo » 19 Jan 2013, 05:46

It has a psychological effect. Why do you think ancient pirates raised pirate flags themselves? To strike fear into the heart of the enemy. It had no legitimate effect on efficiency. Why does the Cybran Nation make all their units and structures angular? It has no effect on power or anything. They do it because that's their style. Why does the UEF have the UEF square icon on a lot of their stuff. To mark it as UEF. Not a gamebreaker but it's just cool. And I don't mean actually putting it on the side, I mean a legitimate flag pole with a Jolly Roger flapping in the wind. I challenge animators to do that!
"So now everything without a shield is gonna die, and everything with a shield is gonna die a little later." -TA4Life on the Mavor
Astrofoo
Contributor

Postby Astrofoo » 19 Jan 2013, 05:47

Not to mention if a lot of people learn the Nomads have 'pirate ships' more people may actually play the faction.
Astrofoo
Contributor

Postby vongratz » 19 Apr 2013, 17:16

I think that this concept - pirates - fits with an idea of "nomads of the space".Textures like the Shipyard(very interesting), a bit more dark and rusty, would be very nice to establish the intentded low level technology.A kind of space tribe that survives with the iron and fire age,with some bits of steampunk fashion, and very heavy, slower and better armored x the othes unitsr, could be the final shape.Some guild kind of symbols, included in the colors would be also very nice.
Years ago Ive planned for RTS Spring a race like this, and Ive modeled some concept ships/tanks/planes in that fashion.
vongratz

Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 9 times

Postby MushrooMars » 22 Apr 2013, 13:48

Space Vikings fit them a bit better, but the point remains the same.

I wonder if we could just make an entirely new entity which we could just tack onto ships. A team-colored generic pirate flag model.

Also, this thread made me think of this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLMJpHihykI
MushrooMars

Been liked: 1 time
FAF User Name: MushrooMars

Next

Return to Nomads Discussions