WTF ? Megalith torpedoes ?

General Discussions about The Nomads.

Moderators: Softly, pip, Brute51, CookieNoob, JJ173, Moritz

WTF ? Megalith torpedoes ?

Postby HighMax » 30 Dec 2012, 20:57

Hi,

This weird thing happened in one of my last games, so i was playing Aeon and i had a tempest protected by around 15 asylums, with 4 destroyers, and 8 or more vespers, then an enemy megalith just came and started attacking my tempest, at first i ignored it since all the databases say tempest has more torpedoes dps and far more torpedoes defense than anything, and I thought the tempest would win even 1v1, then I realised the health of my tempest is dropping surprisingly fast, despite the destroyers, shields and vespers, the Megalith only collapsed after leaving my tempest with 12000 health (on 60000 ><) ...

WTF ? what is the real torp dps of the Megalith ?
HighMax
Crusader

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: HighMax

Re: WTF ? Megalith torpedoes ?

Postby Myxir » 30 Dec 2012, 21:53

Nanite Torpedo Launcher (Anti Navy, Normal): 300 dps, range: 0 - 45
projectile: 100 damage
muzzle velocity: 5, lifetime: 7
fire cycle: 4 projectiles every 1.3 seconds, 400 damage total

Anti-Torpedo Flare (Defense, Normal): 1.56 dps, range: 0 - 25
projectile: 2 damage
muzzle velocity: 5, lifetime: 3
fire cycle: 6 projectiles every 7.7 seconds, 12 damage total

taken from http://www.fa-nomads.com/db/supcomDB_sh ... bp=XRL0403

300 dps with torpedos isn't that strong, considering the amout of units (and torpedo defense) you had, but the megalith has an insane torpedo defense, as you can see... it throws 6 flares out, and cybran anti-torpedo weapons are decoy flares, that means all your torpedos will chase decoy flares for a long long time, until enough torpedos got through to deal 110k damage and kill the mega

but i don't see why this is in the nomads section, tbh
Unhappy with balance http://i.imgur.com/q5G2BlM.png
Myxir
Evaluator

Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 306 times
FAF User Name: Washy (irc)

Postby Softly » 30 Dec 2012, 21:55

Try checking the db for this: http://www.faforever.com/faf/unitsDB/

This is actually the nomads forum area too, this kind of thing goes into general discussions in the FAF side of things please :)
Softly
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 251 times
FAF User Name: Softles

Postby HighMax » 31 Dec 2012, 00:56

Sorry, I have no idea why this is in the nomads section I remember just clicking on general discussion section ...

I said I know what the database says, but this isn't a matter of anti torp, I certainly had tons more of anti torp flare or not flare, the megalith has 1.56, the tempest alone has 6, + all the torp defense of the vespers and the destroyers, + the shields, this is a matter of dps, it's impossible that it could almost kill the tempest with only 300 dps.
HighMax
Crusader

Postby Myxir » 31 Dec 2012, 09:52

it is a matter of anti-torpedos, because they work in a different way

cybran has decoy flares, aeon aims directly at the torpedos (and will horribly fail to defend from a large number), while a single decoy can attract 10+ torpedos (it's just limited by time)
Unhappy with balance http://i.imgur.com/q5G2BlM.png
Myxir
Evaluator

Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 306 times
FAF User Name: Washy (irc)

Postby Plasma_Wolf » 01 Jan 2013, 16:15

You can compare the decoy or direct fire systems of anti-torpedoes with Aeon and Cybran TMDs. Aeon have decoy TMD, the Cybran have direct fire TMD

Cheat those in a sandbox game and launch some tactical missiles on them, see what happens: the Aeon TMD can only be overpowered with TML if you have timing. The Cybran TMD can just be overpowered (easier with Cybran TML) with just a load of missiles.

It works exactly the same with torpedoes vs anti-torpedoes, but this time the Aeon has direct fire anti-torpedoes, so one anti-torpedo goes for one torpedo, while the Cybran have decoy torpedoes, all torpedoes that are within a certain area of effect of the Cybran decoy flare will be distracted and immediately be useless. This can mean dozens of torpedoes are "killed" by the decoy flares of the megalith.

Now the Tempest has to time the torpedoes such that some will go through the defences and the problem is that the tempest automatically fires, so you can't do anything to improve the timing. Add to that that the megalith launches several decoy flares from different locations of it's main hull, so the combined area of effect is much larger.

So in short: Tempest needs excellent timing to get many torpedoes though the lith's defences and it doesn't have that, so it sucks at killing the lith.

Additionally, the lith has 110K HP, vs the 60 of the tempest.

Next time you encounter a megalith, add T2 subhunters to your party. Use those to provide a constant stream of torpedoes, then many will easily slip through the megalith's decoy defences.
OR: use T3 torpedo bombers, I have never seen torpedo defences actually kill torpedoes of bombers...
Plasma_Wolf
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 91 times
FAF User Name: Plasma_Wolf

Postby HighMax » 02 Jan 2013, 00:35

Nevermind, actually there was an allied battleship "inside" of my tempest, shooting, so the tempest took all the hits, the megalith did almost no damage at all xD, yeah it sucks, too bad I was happy to think cybran got something other for high level torp than the immobile and stupid harms, when i think that some people want to consider it a naval unit lol, it would have been cool if it was but no.

Plasma_Wolf wrote:Next time you encounter a megalith, add T2 subhunters to your party.

ah ok :facepalm:, read the thread next time pls ><
HighMax
Crusader

Return to Nomads Discussions