Aeon T2 naval with mobile shields

Post here any idea about current FA Balance.
REMINDER : This is NOT a community balance forum. The thread ideas won't be used in a patch.
Forum rules REMINDER : This is NOT a community balance forum. The thread ideas won't be used in a patch.

Aeon T2 naval with mobile shields

Postby Karottenrambo » 09 Sep 2011, 14:22

This combination is imo really really strong and is nearly unstoppable, if you micro the shields well. You can even tank a fatboy with them quite well, because the survivability of the fleet scales incredible with the amount of shields.
I would suggest a speed nerf over water, of course this will also affect their hover land in general, but as they got the best hover stuff anyway, it shouldn't be so bad.
Karottenrambo

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Re: Aeon T2 naval with mobile shields

Postby noobymcnoobcake » 26 Oct 2011, 23:52

Aeon T2 navy is good on paper but aint so good in game. There destoyer will MISS EVERY SHOT against another well microed destroyer. It also sucks vs kiting cybran T2 stealth navy and get owned hard by it. One advantage of aeon navy is immunity to air attacks once you got a few shields up and hoverflack. Against noob enemy who dont use stealth or micro aeon navy is by far the best.
noobymcnoobcake
Evaluator

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 5 times

Postby -_V_- » 27 Oct 2011, 02:41

Its the same with uef. Would recommend a nerf of the shield boats as well ?

From my experience it's even more difficult to get the uef navy than the aeon one mid-late game.

With the uef at least you can harrass the shields with cruisers and have the BEST (by far) battleship to support your navy. Add to that the awesome battlecruisers .... If i had to choose I would take UEF over aeon navy anytime. The gap of time where the shielded aeon is indeed more powerfull than shielded uef is very small.

I tried a couple of times the shield disruptors but they didnt strike me as that effective, but maybe just a wrong feeling.

From what I've seen, a good player with sera navy can take out the aeon shielded navy as well, combo of t3 subs, cruisers for the shields and maybe some t3 shields.

I would say that late game only the cybran navy struggles a lot against the others, but it makes sense since it's not a faction to pick for long term battles.
-_V_-
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 65 times

Postby FunkOff » 27 Oct 2011, 05:14

-_V_- wrote:Its the same with uef. Would recommend a nerf of the shield boats as well ?

Shield boats were nerfed in 3604 and are now 1300 mass, which is appreciably more than a tech 2 sub.

I would say that late game only the cybran navy struggles a lot against the others, but it makes sense since it's not a faction to pick for long term battles.

In my experience, naval battles are *mostly* balanced at tech 3. Aeon has the longest range attack unit (Missile Ship) and, by FAR, the best destroyer in large battles. Seraphim has the T3 attack sub to make up for their other weaknesses. UEF has the lack of a tech 2/tech 3 attack sub, but shields and the great Bship make up for it. Cybran has stealth... with the tuning to Tech 3 naval in 3604, Cybran battleships with tech 3 sonar and torpedo bomber spam will pretty much beat any and all naval forces... battleships take out enemy cruisers/flak and torp bombers murder the rest.
FunkOff
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 43 times
FAF User Name: FakeOff

Postby -_V_- » 27 Oct 2011, 06:30

FunkOff wrote:
-_V_- wrote:with the tuning to Tech 3 naval in 3604, Cybran battleships with tech 3 sonar and torpedo bomber spam will pretty much beat any and all naval forces... battleships take out enemy cruisers/flak and torp bombers murder the rest.

Well then the navy has changed a LOT in 360x then cause cybran owning at tech3 naval stage... that is completely new.
-_V_-
Supreme Commander

Postby Plasma_Wolf » 27 Oct 2011, 22:24

FunkOff wrote:Aeon has the longest range attack unit (Missile Ship) and, by FAR, the best destroyer in large battles.

How useful is that in a battle with ships? Ships move and cruisers have TMD. The battleships however are destroyers with a larger range and more damage per shot. In large battles they tend to hit some stuff pretty bad.

UEF has the lack of a tech 2/tech 3 attack sub, but shields and the great Bship make up for it.
I find, in T2 battles, the combi of shield boats with torpedo boats a pretty powerful one as well. Expensive though but a nice group can do damage before being damaged by itself so much.

The UEF also have the battlecruiser. How much is that going to be used? On paper one of the best things in the game but since it misses some of it's shots (if not a LOT).
Last edited by Plasma_Wolf on 28 Oct 2011, 20:52, edited 1 time in total.
Plasma_Wolf
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 91 times
FAF User Name: Plasma_Wolf

Postby -_V_- » 27 Oct 2011, 22:39

Plasma_Wolf wrote:
FunkOff wrote:Aeon has the longest range attack unit (Missile Ship) and, by FAR, the best destroyer in large battles.

How useful is that in a battle with ships? Ships move and cruisers have TMD. The battleships however are destroyers with a larger range and more damage per shot. In large battles they tend to hit some stuff pretty bad.

UEF has the lack of a tech 2/tech 3 attack sub, but shields and the great Bship make up for it.
I find, in T2 battles, the combi of shield boats with torpedo boats a pretty powerful one as well. Expensive though but a nice group can do damage before being damaged by itself so much.

The UEF also have the battlecruiser. How much is that going to be used? On paper one of the best things in the game but since it misses some of it's shots (if not a LOT).

No offence but may I say, learn how to play navy ? at least the uef one ? :mrgreen:

the torpedo boats are GREAT ... against subs or such. Very nice counter to atlantis for instance and t2 subs. Apart from that, it's completely useless.

The battleSHIP miss a lot, just like the fat boy, but as support unit, when there are tons of shields, they are just GREAT. The battleCRUISER is just GREAT too. It can't be alone but it's very efficient. Once the front shields of the enemy fleet is down, it can take out the destro very fast. Moreover they have beam weapons ;)
-_V_-
Supreme Commander

Postby Plasma_Wolf » 28 Oct 2011, 20:57

-_V_- wrote:No offence but may I say, learn how to play navy ? at least the uef one ? :mrgreen:

Yes you may. It's been some time since I used high-end naval units.

Anyway. What else you wrote down kind of covers my idea about the UEF naval. It's why I'd add shields to the torpedo boats. To give them a bit more time before being downright trashed by destroyers. But how much longer would this take?

I still haven't had my question about the B-Cruiser answered though. Does it miss a lot when attacking ships? It's got beam weapons and those things have a bug that makes them miss a lot (take a look at the Cybran PD at -4 gamespeed for a good example)
Plasma_Wolf
Supreme Commander

Postby -_V_- » 28 Oct 2011, 22:01

Well but since the torp boats are supposed to be used to counter destros, that kinda makes sens they are raped by them.

Torps boats are for subs obviously and are very good anti torps support units, but thats it. I never tried it , but I'm pretty sure equal mass, t1 frigates own the torps boats. Instead of wanting shields, scout your ennemy navy and find out what his fleet is made of ;) .

Torps boats are really effective against the subs and adding shield to them would really imbalance the whole subs/torp boat thing.

From what I've seen the Battlecruiser doesn't really miss, and if so it's very very marginal. And the fact that it usually comes when there are a lot of shields makes it hard to see if it misses. And even so ... against the shields it doesn't matter hehe.
-_V_-
Supreme Commander

Postby Plasma_Wolf » 28 Oct 2011, 22:32

I believe the reason for the UEF torp boats not to be actual submarines is the fact that the UEF has a good shield opportunity.
Plasma_Wolf
Supreme Commander

Next

Return to FA Balance Discussions