Seraphim T3 Mobile Shield

Post here any idea about current FA Balance.
REMINDER : This is NOT a community balance forum. The thread ideas won't be used in a patch.
Forum rules REMINDER : This is NOT a community balance forum. The thread ideas won't be used in a patch.

Re: Seraphim T3 Mobile Shield

Postby lebensnebel » 10 Sep 2011, 10:34

Isn't this the case for all higher tier units: hp per mass or dps per mass is always worse. Because it's a big advantage to have much power concentrated in one unit.
Everytime I saw t3 sera shield used they made a huge impact. They will become imba very fast if cost is reduced more than a small amount.
lebensnebel

Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 23 times
FAF User Name: lebensnebel

Postby TAG_ROCK » 10 Sep 2011, 11:30

Shields are already OP - all of them.

As a Cybran player all I can do vs a wall of percies, harbs, sera tanks with shields is play defensive, or run away.

Megalith works, but having to depend on the costly experimental breaks the flow kinda.

Aeon disruptor should be given to Cybran and all is fine I think, or make the T3 mobile artillery have a dual function.
TAG_ROCK
Contributor

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: TAG_ROCK

Postby FunkOff » 10 Sep 2011, 15:53

Cybran has mobile stealth, though, which far exceeds shields in usefulness and is practically free to use (how much does one cost, -25 e?) For one seraphim mobiel generator you can get 8 cybran mobile generators.
FunkOff
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 43 times
FAF User Name: FakeOff

Postby Gowerly » 10 Sep 2011, 20:37

gc eats shields, too. Literally.
Gowerly
Evaluator

FAF User Name: Gowerly

Postby TAG_ROCK » 10 Sep 2011, 23:49

Funkoff how can you compare stealth with shields?? I mean stealth has a counter but no counter for cybran against shields. You say EXP is a counter but thats a stretch aint it?

And gowerly Cybran dont have a GC :P
TAG_ROCK
Contributor

FAF User Name: TAG_ROCK

Postby Isen » 11 Sep 2011, 12:59

dont compare how yhotta kills shields with a gc
Isen

Been liked: 9 times
FAF User Name: Isen_

Postby uberge3k » 11 Sep 2011, 14:15

No. No shield buffs. At all. This is pure insanity. Sera T3 shields are already slightly OP as they concentrate so much shielding in a single unit - this makes them very easy to micro as you'll have fewer of them, especially considering it's larger radius.

And comparing stealth to shields is... err... I don't really know what to make of that. You say you can get 8 stealth for the price of one mobile shield... the problem is you can completely negate that stealth gen's effect with a single T1 air scout. Even assuming the Cybran player has loads of flak in it's army that will quickly kill the scout, you still just need to make one every 5-10 seconds and fly it over the same area. Using funk's own calculations he made in chat yesterday, that's (and this is a stretch) -9 mass a second to completely counter stealth.

Perhaps I'm missing something, but I don't see a way to completely disable shields for 9 mass a second?

Especially when you consider that you can completely counter stealth with a T3 radar (remember, we're suggesting using experimentals to counter T3 shields, so using a T3 unit to counter a T2 unit shouldn't be out of the question on our side either)... Good thing we have that Anti-Shield Field Generator that uses -2k e but completely disables all shields. Oh wait...
Ze_PilOt wrote:If you want something to happen, do it yourself.
uberge3k
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 48 times
FAF User Name: TAG_UBER

Postby Gowerly » 11 Sep 2011, 16:23

you make a lot of assumptions, uber.
e.g.
- for the energy drain the player has making sheilds you aren't, say, gaining air superiority so that he can't scout (also, you can only see the units for the time you have vision over them)
- that the omni for t3 radar is close the battle that is commencing. (granted for aeon they have an ACU upgrade that is super OP for the intel it gives)

I would like to see:
mass for mass fights of pure units verses shielded units (remember, some of the mass for the shielded units must go into power for making the shields).
Winner decides whether shields are OP (also we might be able to calculate the optimal shield/unit ratio if one exists)
Gowerly
Evaluator

FAF User Name: Gowerly

Previous

Return to FA Balance Discussions