Free/cheap repairs on land and naval units

Post here any idea about current FA Balance.
REMINDER : This is NOT a community balance forum. The thread ideas won't be used in a patch.
Forum rules REMINDER : This is NOT a community balance forum. The thread ideas won't be used in a patch.

Free/cheap repairs on land and naval units

Postby noobymcnoobcake » 15 Nov 2011, 20:23

At the moment once something is below 81% hp is it actualy more economical, if you have the buildpower, to kill it then reclaim it and build a new one rather than repairing it. I think this is not such a good thing. Im proposing free repairs on all land and naval units. (or possibly 1/10th cost repairs?). I dont think this will be a good add on to buildings because people could repair pds as they are getting shot at. Air units get free repairs or basicaly free at 3% cost so why not land and naval?

These free repairs should exclude ACUs for obvious reasons.

edit:builtime shoul be reduced too.
Last edited by noobymcnoobcake on 17 Nov 2011, 18:58, edited 1 time in total.
noobymcnoobcake
Evaluator

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 5 times

Re: Free repairs on land and naval units

Postby Treble » 15 Nov 2011, 21:01

I think that SCUs should repair units free of charge. Anything else and there will be problems. 40 drones assisting your allied GC etc...
Treble

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Kryo » 15 Nov 2011, 21:28

Treble wrote:I think that SCUs should repair units free of charge. Anything else and there will be problems. 40 drones assisting your allied GC etc...

true, Id rather introduce faster regen for every unit that isnt shot at for 60 secs. (like 4x of regular regen for that unit)
Kryo
Evaluator

FAF User Name: Kryo

Postby noobymcnoobcake » 15 Nov 2011, 21:33

Kryo wrote:
Treble wrote:I think that SCUs should repair units free of charge. Anything else and there will be problems. 40 drones assisting your allied GC etc...

true, Id rather introduce faster regen for every unit that isnt shot at for 60 secs. (like 4x of regular regen for that unit)

the regen idea for units out of battle for 60 secs sounds nice. Drones repaiing units will never be a problem as they are countered so easily by fighters, flack or any other AA.

Free repairs could also give a use for SCUs but they need there costs reducing by around 50% and buildtime by around the same amount too.
noobymcnoobcake
Evaluator

Postby Mr Pinguin » 17 Nov 2011, 07:22

Kryo wrote:

Yeah, I think this might be a good option. The only problem (if it's a problem at all..) is that this sort of regen would undermine some of the value in veterancy.

I haven't thought about the possible mechanics enough to know if they'd work out ok, but in the general sense I think it's a good idea. I've never liked that repairs were so costly in SupCom because it discourages players from taking care of their units. I'm fine with the armies being expendable hordes, but I'd like the gameplay that comes from attacking and then withdrawing to makes repairs/mend wounds before launching another assault.

Of course, this would also work better if the engineers had better auto-repair behaviors like they do in SupCom2.
Mr Pinguin

Postby Plasma_Wolf » 17 Nov 2011, 12:06

There's one thing you have to consider when you add free repairs for engineers and that is the Seraphim's regen field. That thing already has the ability to repair units for free, at an adequate speed.

If you let engineers do free and fast repairs or cheap and fast repairs, then the advantage of the Seraphim regen field is indirectly reduced.

I believe that the effectiveness of the regen field is already questioned in the current balance so it's an important thing to think about.
Plasma_Wolf
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 91 times
FAF User Name: Plasma_Wolf

Postby Kryo » 17 Nov 2011, 12:09

thats the reason I would rather not add any free repairs or something. SupCom never was about saving the unit and never let it die (maybe except for ACU and Exp, where Vet reaaally pays of).
And that is good. If you want a game, where a single unit is valuable and game deciding, play Starcraft.

It should stay as it is.
Kryo
Evaluator

FAF User Name: Kryo

Postby -_V_- » 17 Nov 2011, 12:54

Kryo wrote:thats the reason I would rather not add any free repairs or something. SupCom never was about saving the unit and never let it die (maybe except for ACU and Exp, where Vet reaaally pays of).
And that is good. If you want a game, where a single unit is valuable and game deciding, play Starcraft.

It should stay as it is.

Agree with Kryo. You are pushing the changes way too far, or at least willing to. At least remain focused on the units BALANCE and not added gadgets who could possibly undermine the SC/FA gameplay
-_V_-
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 65 times

Postby FunkOff » 17 Nov 2011, 17:01

If I can get it to work, I'll try making repairs cost 1/4 mass and 100% energy. I won't make repair free, but certainly reduced price. It should still be useful to repair at that rate.
FunkOff
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 43 times
FAF User Name: FakeOff

Postby noobymcnoobcake » 17 Nov 2011, 18:57

FunkOff wrote:If I can get it to work, I'll try making repairs cost 1/4 mass and 100% energy. I won't make repair free, but certainly reduced price. It should still be useful to repair at that rate.

I think thats a good compromise. I also agree that units are not emant to be save in supreme commander, they are all expendable and it will remain that way free/cheap repairs or not.

I would repair ships if repairs were cheaper but at the moment better off Ctrl-K and making new one. Also how about making repairs less buildtime. That way repairing a destoyer wont be waste of time and saving an experemental with its vet to fight another day is not a bad idea. Although I do think it would still be best to rampage as long as you can with experemental instead of trying to save it.

1/4 mass and buildtime and 100% E. I like that.
noobymcnoobcake
Evaluator

Return to FA Balance Discussions