Commander upgrade animation disappearing when upgrade paused

Post here any idea about current FA Balance.
REMINDER : This is NOT a community balance forum. The thread ideas won't be used in a patch.
Forum rules REMINDER : This is NOT a community balance forum. The thread ideas won't be used in a patch.

Commander upgrade animation disappearing when upgrade paused

Postby A8uz4t0r » 11 Nov 2011, 01:28

Well I just had this thought, maybe when you pause an upgrade on your commander the "upgrade animation" should be stopped as well, at least because it technically isn't upgrading anymore.

Appart from "realistic" considerations, it could become a small tactical option : for example by pausing the commander upgrade when you see a scout approching, you make your commander look idle to enemy and therefore avoid being rushed at once because they know you can't move, overcharge, etc. It could also prevent enemy scout from discovering if you are upgrading gun or T2, and thus avoid that they react accordingly.
A8uz4t0r

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 7 times

Re: Commander upgrade animation disappearing when upgrade pa

Postby FunkOff » 11 Nov 2011, 01:32

A8uz4t0r wrote:Well I just had this thought, maybe when you pause an upgrade on your commander the "upgrade animation" should be stopped as well, at least because it technically isn't upgrading anymore.

Appart from "realistic" considerations, it could become a small tactical option : for example by pausing the commander upgrade when you see a scout approching, you make your commander look idle to enemy and therefore avoid being rushed at once because they know you can't move, overcharge, etc. It could also prevent enemy scout from discovering if you are upgrading gun or T2, and thus avoid that they react accordingly.

Yeah, but then you could pause it and let your engineers finish it without unpausing.
FunkOff
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 43 times
FAF User Name: FakeOff

Postby A8uz4t0r » 11 Nov 2011, 01:38

Then in this case, even if upgrade is paused on commander, the animation should stay if engies are helping it.
A8uz4t0r

Postby Gowerly » 11 Nov 2011, 01:56

I am unsure as to whether an ACU can know whether there are assisting units.
Paused or not, you are still "upgrading" simply with 0 build power.
Gowerly
Evaluator

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: Gowerly

Postby A8uz4t0r » 11 Nov 2011, 12:30

Gowerly wrote:I am unsure as to whether an ACU can know whether there are assisting units.
Paused or not, you are still "upgrading" simply with 0 build power.

True.
Anyway this idea just came from a realistic point of view : seing all that glowing and spining light arround the commander when an upgrade is paused just didn't seem right. But it's definitely not an issue and the tactical remarks I made were only secondary thoughts... If the change is not easily doable let's just forget about this ! :)
A8uz4t0r

Postby noobymcnoobcake » 11 Nov 2011, 14:48

It should stay. Then if you see somebody upgrading you can get your T1 artilley and do a lot of damage to it. Upgrades on comm are powerful and own T1 hard. I think a counter should be to attack when comm is upgrading. This means you have to make sure comm is safe before upgrading.
noobymcnoobcake
Evaluator

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 5 times

Postby Plasma_Wolf » 12 Nov 2011, 11:32

I agree. As soon as you've completely spent the 800 mass, it can start paying off. The about 16 tanks are then easily dealt with to break even in mass cost. TO have your ACU being unable to do something for 90 seconds seems like a fair deal to me in terms of the temporary drawback.
Plasma_Wolf
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 91 times
FAF User Name: Plasma_Wolf

Postby Treble » 12 Nov 2011, 19:50

You can move the ACU while upgrading. You just have to queue up a building where he is standing and he moves automatically. A good way to avoid TMLs if you have enough of an advanced warning and you dont want to stop your upgrade.
Treble

Postby Mr Pinguin » 17 Nov 2011, 10:16

Treble wrote:You can move the ACU while upgrading. You just have to queue up a building where he is standing and he moves automatically. A good way to avoid TMLs if you have enough of an advanced warning and you dont want to stop your upgrade.

Wow. I didn't know that.. It seems a bit exploity, but clever nevertheless. I'll have to use that the next time I'm upgrading and panicked because of incoming danger..
Mr Pinguin

Return to FA Balance Discussions