FAF Balance Patch Test Mod

Post here any idea about current FA Balance.
REMINDER : This is NOT a community balance forum. The thread ideas won't be used in a patch.
Forum rules REMINDER : This is NOT a community balance forum. The thread ideas won't be used in a patch.

Re: FAF Balance Patch Test Mod

Postby -_V_- » 13 Nov 2011, 08:15

Pinguin, 10 mobile shields/shield boats are far from being uncommon when it comes to good players in navy fights. Late game, UEF and AEON navy battles are just a nightmare.

I already suggested to have an exponential energy consumption with the number of shields but I've been told it was not really doable :?
-_V_-
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 65 times

Postby pip » 13 Nov 2011, 10:17

Longer reload times are probably more efficient to nerf shield layering. If it's not enough, maybe all consumption rates can be revised.

Funkoff, I thought you had nerfed (UEF?) torp bombers by making their weapon vulnerable to anti-torp weapons. Is it only UEF? Why? Cybran and AEon would be the only factions with better torp bombers? Did i misread something?

How about my bug when I launch the mod? I know Pavese has the same bug. Has other players here tried the mod ?
pip
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 191 times
Been liked: 86 times
FAF User Name: pip

Postby Mr Pinguin » 13 Nov 2011, 10:19

-_V_- wrote:Pinguin, 10 mobile shields/shield boats are far from being uncommon when it comes to good players in navy fights. Late game, UEF and AEON navy battles are just a nightmare.

I already suggested to have an exponential energy consumption with the number of shields but I've been told it was not really doable :?

:| I appreciate the feedback, but you seem to have misread my post. :)
I specifically asked for examples of 10+ static shields being stacked together because FunkOff nerfed all of the shields in his mod (including static), and his justification was that they're too hard to break when they're stacked/layered to extremes.

I know that Asylums and Bulwarks get stacked a lot, I even referred to extreme Bulwark spamming/stacking in that post. ;) But there are some big differences between mobile and static shields.

Mobile shields can be easier to stack because they have a smaller footprint, and the Bulwark is the easiest by far because of its huge bubble radius. Mobile shields can also be cycled forward and backward to cover for each other as shields go down.

Some static shields (like the Aeon Shield of Light) are much harder to stack because their bubble is barely bigger than their footprint. T3 static shields can be stacked pretty heavily, but what would be the point? Unlike mobile shields, they can't be moved into an attack position near an enemy base, and they can't be retreated if the enemy rushes them with fast units that might move under the shield.

I'm not saying that no one ever stacks static shields in an extreme way. Some people like to go for SimCity Pgen farms, but I'm not convinced that static-shield-stacking is an OP'd tactic that needs a nerf. Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought that the predominant view among Supcom players was that static-shield-spamming was mostly a nooby mistake that wasted resources. I've never heard anyone argue that static-shield-spamming was a way to win games.
Mr Pinguin

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby -_V_- » 13 Nov 2011, 12:20

I simply agree. I don't understand why the static shields have been nerfed. I actually miss the topic where this idea came from.

As you said, contrary to mobile shield stacking, I rarely saw a position defended by static shields be almost unbreakable, even with the sera shields.
-_V_-
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 65 times

Postby noobymcnoobcake » 13 Nov 2011, 16:16

I think just leave static shields but buff the T3 mobile arty. Shield stacking dont work too well vs mobile arty because of the damage radius. Aeon dont have this advantage but they got the super awesome 650 dps anti shield unit. Just set cost to 600 for T3 arty and increase damage per shot by about 50%. If a position has got say 3 t2 stationary shields covering each otherit will not take long to get through it with about 3-4 T3 arty and when it sudenly reaches that critical point they roll over everything very quickly.

Mobile shield stacking can be a nightmare to break though because shields are so cheap and recharge before they are all killed. The options you have for T2 mobile sheilds

1)leave them be. They are fine as they are mid game but bit OP late game with stacking.
2)Increase recharge time as you have done. Stacked shields are now less of a problem because they dont all regenerate so fast but are much less usefull early game as the shield will probaly not live long enough to recharge
3)Increase E drain. This makes them harder to use mid game but about the same late game as T3 energy is so cheap.
4)-_V_-idea of expoential E cost for them. This means they are worth using early game but not so stackale lategame as the E cost goes up lots.
5)Increase build costs for them. This will do the same as increasing E cost. Useless mid game but still op late game.
6)Decrease shield HP. This could make them useless mid game and still spammable late game but not so good.

I think-_V_-s idea is the best by far. Keeps the balance throughout the game.
noobymcnoobcake
Evaluator

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 5 times

Postby pip » 13 Nov 2011, 21:22

8 people downloaded Funk's mod.
Among the 8, Pavese and I have a game breaking bug (invisible ACU + all building options available for the ACU).
Is it related to lazyshare Funk is refering in his first post?
If so, how do I disable it since it doesn't appear in the mod list?
pip
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 191 times
Been liked: 86 times
FAF User Name: pip

Postby FunkOff » 13 Nov 2011, 22:04

noobymcnoobcake wrote:I think-_V_-s idea is the best by far. Keeps the balance throughout the game.

Me too. I think I'll see if I can right a script that have the effect... I'll call it "shield interference"
FunkOff
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 43 times
FAF User Name: FakeOff

Postby Plasma_Wolf » 13 Nov 2011, 22:05

pip wrote:8 people downloaded Funk's mod.
Among the 8, Pavese and I have a game breaking bug (invisible ACU + all building options available for the ACU).

I've got the bug too. Don't know exactly what is going on with it.
Plasma_Wolf
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 91 times
FAF User Name: Plasma_Wolf

Postby FunkOff » 13 Nov 2011, 22:06

Plasma_Wolf wrote:
pip wrote:8 people downloaded Funk's mod.

I've got the bug too. Don't know exactly what is going on with it.

Please post a link to a pastebin of your fa.log after you tried to launch with the game.

It works for me + karo... and the only clue I have so far is that it probably is incompatible with lazyshare.
FunkOff
Supreme Commander

FAF User Name: FakeOff

Postby FunkOff » 14 Nov 2011, 02:21

Try this
FunkOff
Supreme Commander