Air experimentals

Post here any idea about current FA Balance.
REMINDER : This is NOT a community balance forum. The thread ideas won't be used in a patch.
Forum rules REMINDER : This is NOT a community balance forum. The thread ideas won't be used in a patch.

Re: Air experimentals

Postby -_V_- » 05 Nov 2011, 01:37

I'm sorry but you don't need complete air sup to stop those air experimentals. Unless you're completely behind ur opponent in terms of asf (and sometimes even so it's not an issue) those air t4 die VERY fast, its a matter of seconds really.

How many times have I seen people asking for air cover to support their flying t4 then got pissed at me cause it died miserably to the opponent air even if I had way more... They simply die to fast (if spotted in time).

and BTW , are you sure you can make a CZAR so fast that your DIRECT opponent doesnt have at least 20-30 t3 asf ?
-_V_-
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 65 times

Postby microwavelazer » 05 Nov 2011, 06:37

On the Czar I still think of the Czar is only going to be viable on defense because it is so fragile. For that reason, where ever the Czar should be it is behind the front line. Considering that if we wanted to buff the Czar I would push for giving its factory a greater build power, this would probably help the Aeon compete in mass producing ASFs anyways as they do not have kennels or hives.

On the Ahswassa, What if we increased the max speed to 23.6. ASFs would still be able to catch it and tail gate it but it would take longer for them to do so and give the Ahswassa more a greater chance of survival. It would also differentiate the Ahswassa from strat bombers by just being faster

Thoughts?
microwavelazer
Crusader

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: hells-fire

Postby -_V_- » 05 Nov 2011, 10:08

That if one thing is to be changed about awhassa , it's the turn speed, it's stupidly too slow.
But improving it too much would make it damn too powerful, gotta find the right compromise.
-_V_-
Supreme Commander

Postby uberge3k » 05 Nov 2011, 11:43

Ubergeek's Guide To Air Experimentals, Ranked By Unuselessness:

CZAR.
It's a T4 mercy whose primary weapon is it's massive discus it generates upon death, which should be hurled in the general direction of your enemy's largest concentration of pgens. It features a Crazy Zeropointmodulepowered Awesomium Reflexifior, which allows subspace displacement of the space-time continuum in order to bypass all known forms of shielding. Only requires enough air superiority to get it close enough to an enemy's base to activate it's primary weapon.

Bonus: it contains a laser beam which might occasionally be useful in theory (though highly unlikely), and a factory which you may safely ignore as if you are building a CZAR for an air factory, something is very wrong.

Frivolous and wholly useless "depth charges" (read: "empty toilet paper tubes") added at no extra charge.

Ahwassa.
It's a bomber the size of a small city that that drops nukes. Enough said. Requires sufficient air superiority for it to vet and/or bomb an irreplaceable number of enemy engineers, the latter causing your enemy to exclaim "AHHHH! WASSA WAS THAT?!?!".

Multiple Ahwassas, or a combination of Ahwassa + other air bomber thingies, must be used to crack heavily shielded bases. One pass will usually down most shields, but they'll recharge before it can take another pass due to it's turning radius being marginally better than that of a boat car, requiring the aerial equivalent of the 50-point-turn to line up for another pass.

Also features enough AA to bat away small handfuls of ASF, and a death weapon comparable to that of the CZAR's main weapon but requiring leet aiming skills. (ie, divine intervention is required for it to hit anything useful)

Soul Ripper.
The ugly stepchild of the above two. It's primary purpose is taking up an otherwise-potentially-useful experimental slot in the Cybran army.

:( Massed flak will shred it before it can touch a heavily defended base.
:( It has a mass donation service built into it's death weapon.
:( It's too slow for hit-and-run attacks.
:( It takes up resources that could be used for actually useful offensive units, such as massed ASF and T3 bombers, which are always a better value than the SR except for theoretical scenarios typically including a defending player with a single-digit IQ.

Because You Asked: Novax.
The Novax is a mighty and feared weapon; the bane of noobs everywhere. "Novax" is actually it's codename; it's real name is: "Noob Obliteration Version Awesome X". It is banned from any game where true competition is required, as it can eventually kill massive simcity farms if you haven't built a single shield. En masse, they can eventually break through any shielded base, and are the most cost effective way for doing so, because games in which Novax's feature prominently typically involve air, teleporting SCUs, nukes, or anything else that might endanger one's massive simcity farm being safely disabled in the unit restrictions dialog to prevent unfair, cheap, lame, scrubby, and generally unfun games that might accidentally end before the 1hr mark.

In games where the participants' averaged IQ is higher than the temperature outside, the Novax is primarily used as a way to gloat, displaying that you have so far surpassed your enemy's production that you may freely invest in useless things solely for their highly prized "lulz" qualities.

The main weapon of the Novax is a bucket of water. A somewhat useful laser was originally planned, but due to budget cuts and highly unionized engineers in the UEF R&D department, it's current... "economical" alternative was used instead. Said engineers played a ton of Minecraft, however, so it evens out.

As a bonus, it contains a scouting beam which is roughly equivalent to a tiny penlight attached to an incredibly flimsy 20 foot stick weighted at both sides, which you are vainly attempting to shine in the general area that you want to see (while blindfolded and unsuccessfully attempting to counteract the symptoms of acute motion sickness). It typically takes upwards of 9000 seconds to eventually (and usually quite accidentally) sweep the area that you originally wanted to see.
Ze_PilOt wrote:If you want something to happen, do it yourself.
uberge3k
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 48 times
FAF User Name: TAG_UBER

Postby pip » 05 Nov 2011, 13:09

Ok, I'm sold to Ubergeek's epic post. Hilarious and actually true behind the exagerations.
Hey, I know it's off topic, but can you explain the Tempest too please?
pip
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 191 times
Been liked: 86 times
FAF User Name: pip

Postby -_V_- » 05 Nov 2011, 14:11

I don't have uber's words, but the tempest is greatly underrated. I think it's a damn good support t4 for navy and it can be really really really convenient to build destro (or other ship) right where you are.

The major pb with it though its that its clearly bugged. Sometimes it wont move for whatever reason ... That is such a pain :?
-_V_-
Supreme Commander

Postby Plasma_Wolf » 05 Nov 2011, 14:55

I believe that that tempest moving issue has to do with the size of the ship and the depth of the water.

Anyway, I can't remember it not moving when it is in open sea.

Also, have you ever tried building T1 engies with the tempest. It really looks funny (and gross).
Plasma_Wolf
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 91 times
FAF User Name: Plasma_Wolf

Postby noobymcnoobcake » 05 Nov 2011, 16:05

Lol to ubers post. Yes the novas does need changing. Funny when novax is banned but restorers are not. I hosted a betrayal game 3599 as even though it said 3603 mod 5 people joined without it. Anyway after a bit I got a novas and sniped there Mexes. The rages in chat were hilarious they said that I was a noob using op weapons even though they were building restorers themselves. They attacked with a 100 strong restorer spam while they are busy with some asf then my ally's bombes took out his anti nuke and boom. I saw tons of games on gpg net with no novax, para, teleport, 2x mass 20 nr and restorers were allowed. I got fed up of resto spam so I hosted my own 3603 games.
noobymcnoobcake
Evaluator

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 5 times

Postby uberge3k » 05 Nov 2011, 16:40

Unfortunately, I don't think I've even built a Tempest. Therefore I can't comment on their pros or cons... or perhaps I can?

Introducing The Special Guest Star of Units No One Builds: The Tempest
A picture is worth a thousand words: http://www.faforever.com/faf/unitsDB/su ... 01,UAS0302

Perhaps more in this case.
Ze_PilOt wrote:If you want something to happen, do it yourself.
uberge3k
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 48 times
FAF User Name: TAG_UBER

Postby noobymcnoobcake » 05 Nov 2011, 16:51

Summit class uef battleship 9k mass beats it one on one. 28k beaten by 9k. Lol. If it submerges it's even worse as the summit class can ground fire and it dies even harder.
noobymcnoobcake
Evaluator

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 5 times

PreviousNext

Return to FA Balance Discussions