Air experimentals

Post here any idea about current FA Balance.
REMINDER : This is NOT a community balance forum. The thread ideas won't be used in a patch.
Forum rules REMINDER : This is NOT a community balance forum. The thread ideas won't be used in a patch.

Re: Air experimentals

Postby Gowerly » 03 Nov 2011, 13:33

Sure.
Don't get me wrong, I know full well that it would lose out to its own cost in ASFs, but it's a bomber. I think it could reasonably effectively take a t1/t2 airforce down, though. With 360x games taking much longer to get to t3 air, this could be a bonus for the bomber.
Gowerly
Evaluator

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: Gowerly

Postby -_V_- » 03 Nov 2011, 13:36

Never tried with t1/t2. I'm curious to see how many asf you can take out before it dies.
As I said I think even 20 asf are enough to kill it very fast :? , but maybe I'm doing something wrong.

And of course we won't compare mass to mass hehe
-_V_-
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 65 times

Postby Gowerly » 03 Nov 2011, 14:32

20 is probably too many, yes. The idea is to push for it, similar to ML rushing. Keeping t1 or t2 air pressure can stop an opponent getting their own t3 air, so between 3 or 4 of you it's possible to get it out before there are more than 5-6 ASFs.
Also, if you can find a nice area to bomb, a level or 2 of vet can keep it killing off the air.
Gowerly
Evaluator

FAF User Name: Gowerly

Postby microwavelazer » 03 Nov 2011, 20:37

Looking through the replies, it looks either nobody cares or thinks the sole ripper is fine as is,

I agree that the czar is not cost efficient if you think of it as a offensive experimental, yes If you get it over some ones base, the air crash will kill anything short of an ACU but you also hand the opponent more than enough mass to rebuild with its wreckage. It should be noted though that the Czar also has a piety sweet air factory.

In my opinion, the problem with the Ashwassa in my opinion is that there is no reason to use it over massed T3 bombers. The only thing the Ashwassa has over them is a massive AOE.
microwavelazer
Crusader

FAF User Name: hells-fire

Postby Treble » 03 Nov 2011, 21:18

The Soul Ripper is probably the most useful of the three. With 90k hp it can stand up to a lot of abuse and takes down shields quite well. The missiles are pretty random though so it is better at taking out groups of units and bases. You will need a lot of SAMs and ASF to kill it before it can do major damage to your base. It is definitely viable in team games as you can get it up before the other side has significant ASFs.
Treble

Postby Plasma_Wolf » 04 Nov 2011, 20:57

I think the CZAR is fine as it is now. Don't forget the factory/air storage part.

It can still build Restorers quite quickly and those aren't easy to kill while they are very useful.
Also: when the CZAR crashes, it has quite a big damage radius. It's easier to kill anything with the CZAR's crash than to kill something with the other EXP's crashes. Though that doesn't do it much good if the mass you get from the CZAR as much as it does in killing half your base.

The problem with it is that if we make it cheaper, it can be rushed and you can cost effectively crash it into something.

However, have you thought about using it for defence (not too close to your base though). With it's ability to repair and refuel, along with building, I'd say it's really useful. The beam does 10K damage per second so as long as you have air superiority, a land experimental is going to have a really hard time getting to your base.

Veterancy comes with every 40 kills which I think is fine as well.
So if you want to give it a buff, maybe even more damage on the beam? Or some AoE? Then it'd be able to take some shields down and deal with a base before it crashes. Though that does improve it's ability as a T4 mercy too.
Plasma_Wolf
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 91 times
FAF User Name: Plasma_Wolf

Postby pip » 04 Nov 2011, 21:59

I tend to think the Air Experimentals are ok, with the Soul Ripper being by far the best thanks to its HP and great AOE weapons allowing easy veterancy, the Czar second thanks to its multiple possible uses (factory /defense + anti-air / crash-over-good target as a finishing touch to an attack on a base).
The Ahwassa is not bad, but at best an average experimental with quite poor HP/mass ratio coupled to the inability to crash onto something interesting if ever it has to die (unlike the Czar). With a bit more HP to help survive against lots of ASF, it would be really good. As a Seraphim, I almost never built any, except on Seton.

The Novax is the real useless "air exp", as of now, if ever it can be called by that name. It has its own league of uselessness. It could be great with just a twice higher DPS weapon and tripled vision radius as a spy / harassing experimental.
pip
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 191 times
Been liked: 86 times
FAF User Name: pip

Postby -_V_- » 05 Nov 2011, 00:14

Defense ? AA ?
Guys its takes 20 secs, TWENTY for only 20 asf to shoot down a czar.
Moreover after the fight, 10 asf remain.

CZAR is not efficient for its cost as a factory.
It won't be saved by its AA at all.

I'm not saying at all that it needs a buff (nor a nerf for that matter), but let's not state facts that aren't true.
-_V_-
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 65 times

Postby Treble » 05 Nov 2011, 00:58

-_V_- wrote:Defense ? AA ?
Guys its takes 20 secs, TWENTY for only 20 asf to shoot down a czar.
Moreover after the fight, 10 asf remain.

CZAR is not efficient for its cost as a factory.
It won't be saved by its AA at all.

I'm not saying at all that it needs a buff (nor a nerf for that matter), but let's not state facts that aren't true.

Who said it was cost effective as a factory, or as AA? It doesnt excel at either but because it has both and because it does insane dps to land/water and it has crash damage you will win if you get it built before your opponent has complete air superiority.
Treble

Postby pip » 05 Nov 2011, 01:04

Using Czar as defense is like when you have a land experimental coming at you and you can hurt it bad with the beam.

AA is when you have ASF on your own + a Czar : you have good chances to win against the other team's ASF only unless he has a shitload of them while you don't have a shitload yourself.

Factory is a bonus that can be pretty handy.

There are reasons why people spam a lot of ASF and air Experimentals are one of them. They don't completley suck somehow.
EDIT: + what Treble said just while I was typing.
pip
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 191 times
Been liked: 86 times
FAF User Name: pip

PreviousNext

Return to FA Balance Discussions