Only land factories can build engineers

Post here any idea about current FA Balance.
REMINDER : This is NOT a community balance forum. The thread ideas won't be used in a patch.
Forum rules REMINDER : This is NOT a community balance forum. The thread ideas won't be used in a patch.

Only land factories can build engineers

Postby FunkOff » 25 Oct 2011, 20:06

This idea is simple... basically make it so only land factories can build engineers. This means Air and Naval factories cannot.

This is a small change, but it would be effective in a couple of ways. First, it would be a nerf to air first strategies without directly nerfing any air units... second, it makes sense because engineers are land units. Third, if we made the change to quantum gates that has been thrown around... allowing them to build SCUs and any other (non XP) land units... it would be necessary to ensure that somebody did not tech air or naval and then gain access to land tech without first paying the required 4000 mass to be able to use tech 3 land.

Thoughts?
FunkOff
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 43 times
FAF User Name: FakeOff

Re: Only land factories can build engineers

Postby Treble » 25 Oct 2011, 21:24

Interesting idea. Certainly a nerf to air first strategies, which is fine with me. I think late game you might still see only teching an air factory and people just getting engineering suite upgrades for the ACU to build T3 pgens, shields and experimentals.

I could see UEF still going air first though. Possibly using the engineering drones, that might be interesting.
Treble

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby noobymcnoobcake » 25 Oct 2011, 21:30

This would fix that nasty op bommber rush. Mobile aa dont realy counter it as by time its killed 3 engineers its done its job and if it sees aa it just goes to bomb other unprotected engineers. if they get a sucsessfull early bomber it can well win them the game. Im all for it.
noobymcnoobcake
Evaluator

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 5 times

Postby Plasma_Wolf » 25 Oct 2011, 21:47

Well, before we decide this, we need something on the maps where land factories can't be built. Think of the naval survival maps and maps like sludge (do you want a UEF T1 land factory there, whether T1 air rush is OP or not)?

Why has air rush actually become a viable tactic now? I believe it wasn't the case in the original game? Maybe there's a solution to the cause that doesn't require removing engineers from the Naval and Air branch.

Additionally, I'm also against it as long as the factories don't have a proper build power later on in the game (With this I'm hinting to the naval factories in particular). On larger maps, it makes no sense having to drag engineers along to a naval factory to assist. Just build them with the factory. If you have to bring them from your base it's just going to waste your time. It's not efficient.

How about this: remove T1 engineers from the T1 air factory alone. Or only the T1 air and naval factory. It removes the T1 air rush as planned but won't cut back on what I think is an elementary aspect of the game.

Also, I think that the problem can be solved by looking at what made it so viable and then see what can be done in terms of cost to take that reason away.
Plasma_Wolf
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 91 times
FAF User Name: Plasma_Wolf

Postby ToejamS » 25 Oct 2011, 22:21

Great idea Funk. But.... would you enable tech 2 facts to make engies? If you went t3 air and needed t3 power, as you do, you need a t3 engie to do it.... or up grade acu.

While I like the idea of secretly nerfing air first, I dont think such a radical game mechanic will be allowed to be altered. I also think that would make the game less "fun".
ToejamS

Been liked: 1 time
FAF User Name: ToejamS

Postby noobymcnoobcake » 25 Oct 2011, 22:28

people dont use air factories to spam T1 engineers anyway as they stall as then engineer moves off the factory. It wont alter the game that much exept cancel out the super early bommber rush. If you only did it for T1 air facs it would probaly be better as you said.
Last edited by noobymcnoobcake on 26 Oct 2011, 11:07, edited 1 time in total.
noobymcnoobcake
Evaluator

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 5 times

Postby -_V_- » 26 Oct 2011, 02:20

echo echooo oooo oo oo :mrgreen:
-_V_-
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 65 times

Postby Pavese » 26 Oct 2011, 11:44

I like the idea. The amount of maps this effects is so negligible.

This also buffs land combat because this change would actually force you to go for t2 land/T3 land. It should delay Air in general a bit without actually nerfing air which is great.
Pavese

Been liked: 0 time

Postby Isen » 26 Oct 2011, 17:51

i dont like the idea, i suggest you other solution for first bombers, make air factories and navy factories make enginers slower than land factories.
Isen

Been liked: 9 times
FAF User Name: Isen_

Postby -_V_- » 26 Oct 2011, 20:04

Are you sure that's possible ? MY guess is that the buildrate if kinda fixed for one structure, unless the tech level evolves ofc
-_V_-
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 65 times

Next

Return to FA Balance Discussions