Seraphim ACU big weapon upgrade (chronotron amplifier)

Post here any idea about current FA Balance.
REMINDER : This is NOT a community balance forum. The thread ideas won't be used in a patch.
Forum rules REMINDER : This is NOT a community balance forum. The thread ideas won't be used in a patch.

Seraphim ACU big weapon upgrade (chronotron amplifier)

Postby pip » 09 Oct 2011, 12:37

I've always thought this upgrade is great. But it's completely overpriced. Sure it deals 400 DPS with good AOE. But it is nowhere as efficient as the Maser (Cybran ACU laser of death upgrade) with 4000 DPS! Yet, it costs around the same price (Maser costs 4000 mass / 500000 energy ; Sera weapon : 4500 mass / 300000 energy).

Moreover, the Sera ACU has to choose between the engineer suits 2 and 3 and this weapon. This is not the case for the Cybran ACU who can have both the engineer suits and laser of death (or torpedo upgrade).

That's why the chronotron amplifier has to have its costs extremely tuned down (and not just 5%). One of the Seraphim ACU game design goal is to be offensive (restoration field to heal the troops, Nano upgrades to heal the Acu on the front, super weapon). But this super weapon is just too expensive when you compare to the other ACU and what you need to sacrifice (engineer suits).

I think if the costs are halfed (mass and energy), we can have a worthy upgrade without being overpowered (even if it would still be really hard to forbid yourself the engineer suits) in order to have a fully offensive (and fearsome) ACU that is worth the gamble.

Thoughts?
pip
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 191 times
Been liked: 86 times
FAF User Name: pip

Re: Seraphim ACU big weapon upgrade (chronotron amplifier)

Postby FunkOff » 09 Oct 2011, 13:04

I agree with pip. I play Serpahim for most games and have never gotten this upgrade because it's just so expensive. Similarly, the regen field is also lacking... it is absolutely a garbage upgrade that provides no real buffs.
FunkOff
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 43 times
FAF User Name: FakeOff

Re: Seraphim ACU big weapon upgrade (chronotron amplifier)

Postby pip » 09 Oct 2011, 14:04

True Funkoff, the restoration field is only useful for units with lots of HP (i.e Experimentals, and somehow T3 tanks, T2 and T3 ships and SCU I guess). But this is very situational and usually a waste of mass.

I think the restoration field would be more useful if :
A/ it could heal structures too.
B/ it would be just cheaper (I mean the second one, which was supposed to boost health of nearby units, but this boost was removed without the according cost adjustment hence its overprice).

I think it would be intuitive to just let it heal buildings, update the tooltip if need be and leave the cost as it is.
pip
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 191 times
Been liked: 86 times
FAF User Name: pip

Return to FA Balance Discussions