Quantum Gates

Post here any idea about current FA Balance.
REMINDER : This is NOT a community balance forum. The thread ideas won't be used in a patch.
Forum rules REMINDER : This is NOT a community balance forum. The thread ideas won't be used in a patch.

Postby Legion Darrath » 07 Oct 2011, 16:57

I voted no because honestly... you auto deny changes that add new units yet you now you are trying to add a completely new mechanic (and since the tether beacon is a unit, you're technically also adding a unit ;) ) so you clearly have double standards. Also, automatically ignoring people who vote no because they didn't say way is stupid. You are clearly biased in favor of the idea so the "burden of proof" is on you. You have to convince people it's a good idea, it's not up to them to convince everyone else why it isn't.

If this is going to be included in FAF at all it should be as a mod and nothing more than a mod. Don't force gimmicky mechanics on people just because you think it's a good idea.
Legion Darrath
Evaluator

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 117 times
FAF User Name: Legion_Darrath

Re: Quantum Gates

Postby FunkOff » 07 Oct 2011, 17:33

The tether is not a new unit: I will use the quantum gate beacon.

Also, this idea isn't being forced on anybody. Right now I'm making it a mod to test out the idea. This is, as you say, an unprecedented game mechanic... so I need to make sure it's not ridiculous first.
FunkOff
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 43 times
FAF User Name: FakeOff

Postby Legion Darrath » 07 Oct 2011, 17:53

I know it wasn't a real new unit, hence the winky face. Making it a mod is the best thing to do.
Legion Darrath
Evaluator

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 117 times
FAF User Name: Legion_Darrath

Postby noobymcnoobcake » 07 Oct 2011, 22:28

I can see this used on big maps like betrayal with a stealthbase on the island... result would be deadly. Nice idea as at the moment SCUS and quantum gates are not used. Seraphim should have cheaper teleport ability to balance there T3. It will add faction diversity.
noobymcnoobcake
Evaluator

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 5 times

Postby Gowerly » 07 Oct 2011, 23:08

I would only have it allowing you to port between gates, so you can easily reinforce a firebase, for example. I would not have it allowing you to tether port as I believe this would completely unbalance a game.
Even then, the between gate port allows you to bypass any kind of reinforcement blocking attack, which could also be gamebreaking. An interesting idea, but I would like to see it in practice.
Gowerly
Evaluator

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: Gowerly

Postby Nesar » 08 Oct 2011, 13:07

I thinl with the teleport option you decrease the importance of scouting. You haven't seen the army coming in your ally base but you have a quantum ok i tele units your base is saved. Same way, why make a diversion to bring all air north during your transport go south to make a drop. With this option you remove a lot of concept of the game. I think the better option for quantum gate is to find a good job for the scu.
"Il ne faut pas sous-estimer le caractère prévisible de la bêtise humaine", Snatch
Nesar

Postby FunkOff » 08 Oct 2011, 17:22

Here we are:
http://forgedalliance.obliteratingwave. ... /STfaf.zip

Now anybody can test the mod. Be sure to tell me, specifically, what you don't like about it.

Install instructions:
-Place .zip in mods folder in My Documents\Gas Powered Games\Forged Alliance directory
-Activate using mod manager in-game
Last edited by FunkOff on 09 Oct 2011, 11:46, edited 1 time in total.
FunkOff
Supreme Commander

Postby CrazedChariot » 09 Oct 2011, 00:26

Id like to make SCUs cheaper and build faster possibly. This would allow you to make SCU's and teleport them to corresponding locations and erect a new gate (to teleport your units in)

I think this is a much better idea than unteathered gating, as it requires teleporting into an empty area, doesnt introduce any entire new game mechanics (Destroyable beacon etc), and gives your oponent adequate time to respond.

It also gives SCUS and the gates a real purpose.
CrazedChariot
Contributor

Been liked: 32 times
FAF User Name: CrazedChariot

Postby Kryo » 09 Oct 2011, 11:26

FunkOff wrote:Here we are:
http://forgedalliance.obliteratingwave. ... /STfaf.zip

Now anybody can test the mod. Be sure to tell me, specifically, what you don't like about it.

Install instructions:
-Unzip to mods folder in My Documents\Gas Powered Games\Forged Alliance directory
-Activate using mod manager in-game

I tested it!

first of all, unzipping is not necessary, FA can read zip files.

regarding the teleport function:

The good thing is, it works :P

First a question: Did you test, if you play vs another opponent, if he builds a QG and gets the text message about setting the rally point, that you dont see it too ? i couldnt test it with another player so far. I remember, when I scripted this text, everybody could see it, not just the player who triggered it.

Then:
I would imagine a better way to do the teleport thing:

1. Make the QG like a carrier being able to take in units (just steal it from Aircraft carriers :p)
2. Make all QGs on the map connected so you load them in in one QG and can unload them from all other QGs on the map.
The Handling of this would be much easier I think, even if I dont know exactly if this is possible right now.

If its not possible, at least make somehow selectable in a way or another, which units are teleported. For example my acu build the QG and was standing next to it, and was teleported, but I didnt want that :D

For now, the effect on the QG is a little too big I think
What I noticed: My QG blew off when the connected QG was shot down. Is this on purpose?
Kryo
Evaluator

FAF User Name: Kryo

Postby FunkOff » 09 Oct 2011, 11:50

Kryo wrote:If its not possible, at least make somehow selectable in a way or another, which units are teleported. For example my acu build the QG and was standing next to it, and was teleported, but I didnt want that :D

I'll see if I can't re-tool this aspect. But yes, I'm going to make another version to address that and a few other issues. What I will most likely do is make a ferry beacon show up either inside or near the quantum gate.... and only send units that are in the ferry que. But I'm not 100% certain that's possible or where it's handled, so I'm not 100% certain it can be done. But I think that's a more idea solution.

Also, about using gates as tunnels from generals (your "like carriers" example is exactly that), I want to keep gates working as close as possible to how they do in the campaigns.... one unit at a time.
FunkOff
Supreme Commander

PreviousNext

Return to FA Balance Discussions