How the balancing will be done ?

Post here any idea about current FA Balance.
REMINDER : This is NOT a community balance forum. The thread ideas won't be used in a patch.
Forum rules REMINDER : This is NOT a community balance forum. The thread ideas won't be used in a patch.

How the balancing will be done ?

Postby Ze_PilOt » 26 Sep 2011, 11:39

First :

- This forum is NOT a base for balance changes. His only purpose is to drive away balance discussions from chat, and why not give some ideas. It is NOT a representation of what we are planning for FA.

- No balance changes are planned until all the bugs we can fix are fixed. The balance must be done from a fixed versions, in order to not make changes based on bugs (for exemple, the aeon Destroyer missing all the time, bombers missing first drop, the lasers missing targets and being invisible).

- There is currently NO balance team, and it will be none until the bugs are fixed.

- Once the bugs are fixed, a balance team will be formed. A more appropriate name will be "Balance testing team", as their job will be to test changes and not proposing them.

- If you want to apply as a balance tester, be aware that is a serious (as serious it can be for a game) position. You will have to provide a certain amount of replays using the testing balance mod each week.

- The biggest changes will be for currently useless units, like SCU or massfabs, and, later, making the game more easy for newcomers (for example, ease the mass storage process and revamp the adjacency bonuses to be more logic and viable).

- The others changes will fall under the scope of the "5 % rule". No change will goes beyond that range. That rule can be broken if it's really necessary and heavily tested.
Nossa wrote:I've never played GPG or even heard of FA until FAF started blowing up.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 376 times
FAF User Name: Ze_PilOt

Re: How the balancing will be done ?

Postby AdmiralZeech » 26 Sep 2011, 13:07

Rather than "FA Balance", call this subforum, "Off-Topic: Balance" :P
Then people will get the idea ;)
AdmiralZeech
Priest

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 62 times

Postby Gowerly » 26 Sep 2011, 13:09

Would it be benefecial to have an FA bugs subforum? People could post (what they think are) bugs and we can determine whether they are bugs or balance changes.
Might help us get a priority on changes.
Gowerly
Evaluator

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: Gowerly

Postby Ze_PilOt » 26 Sep 2011, 13:36

That's the forum just above this one :)
Nossa wrote:I've never played GPG or even heard of FA until FAF started blowing up.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Postby Karottenrambo » 27 Sep 2011, 22:38

I dont get it. If the forum is not the base for the balancing changes and the future balanceing-team is just testing it, who finally decides which changes are made and which not?

Shouldn't be the balancing team the ones, who discuss and decide which balancing changes should be made?
They could make a public release candidate patch mod, to test it on a wider playerbase, but thats just an idea.
Karottenrambo

Postby Ze_PilOt » 27 Sep 2011, 22:50

Karottenrambo wrote:I dont get it. If the forum is not the base for the balancing changes and the future balanceing-team is just testing it, who finally decides which changes are made and which not?

Me. I decide what must be tested/changed, and then the balance team decide what changes are needed or not.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Postby thygrrr » 18 Nov 2011, 17:13

I approve of this approach.
I waited ten years for Supreme Commander (1997-2007)
and have not a single day felt disappointed with it!

thygrrr
Contributor

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 3 times

Postby ToejamS » 02 Dec 2011, 22:48

to be honest, its the only approach.
ToejamS

Been liked: 1 time
FAF User Name: ToejamS

Postby GallantDragon » 09 Feb 2012, 00:09

Have you guys considered using something like Mantis BT to track bugs and suggestions?
GallantDragon

Postby Ze_PilOt » 09 Feb 2012, 00:49

We have our ticket system.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Next

Return to FA Balance Discussions