Tech 1 bombers

Post here any idea about current FA Balance.
REMINDER : This is NOT a community balance forum. The thread ideas won't be used in a patch.
Forum rules REMINDER : This is NOT a community balance forum. The thread ideas won't be used in a patch.

Tech 1 bombers

Postby FunkOff » 31 Aug 2011, 14:23

I'm getting a lot of complains about them. I am of the opinion that they are overpowered, at least in early game raiding, far less so later in the game. I see a few options for dealing with this:

First, take away bomber radar and put it on the air scout. Raiding with bombers becomes more difficult because you need a scout first, but it's still possible and the bomber is not weakened in its other functions and stay just as viable later in the game. This is the preferred option.

Second, require bomber to use energy to run its radar. Probably -10. This will require an extra pgen for standard 2 fast bomber build orders.

Other options include increasing cost/build time but I don't consider this to be useful.

Additionally, I'm going to mess with bomber to make them drop more reliably as in the community bugfix patch, but also will lower their RoF so it's harder to drop many times in the same pass.
Last edited by FunkOff on 31 Aug 2011, 14:42, edited 1 time in total.
FunkOff
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 43 times
FAF User Name: FakeOff

Re: Tech 1 bombers

Postby Raging_Squirrel » 31 Aug 2011, 14:35

this is just too much.
why don't you nerf auroras only because ppl can't counter them? they suck and you change? it should never go that way.
Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level and beat with experience.
Raging_Squirrel
Priest

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times
FAF User Name: Raging_Squirrel

Postby Gowerly » 31 Aug 2011, 16:24

I agree that bombers should not have onboard radar. That's what scouts are for.
Bomber first is a risk. If it doesn't pay off it's almost instalose, so I wouldn't do too much, if anything, to them.
Gowerly
Evaluator

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: Gowerly

Postby Lu_Xun_17 » 31 Aug 2011, 23:05

hum i agree air scoot should be cheaper and with a radar, but i would let the bomber at it is.
The changes you want to add would withdraw some micro skills. the shoot time of the bomber is really interesting, and be sure the air first won't be interesting anymore if you don't add radar.

maybe an energy cost for this bomber radar would be a solution, if we wanted to nerf something. I think it's pretty good like that.
Lu_Xun_17
Contributor

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 224 times
FAF User Name: LuXy

Postby Isen » 31 Aug 2011, 23:09

i think that the bomber are fine like they are now, if you wanna use them properly you need to focus too on them, if you want to nerf them for how people use the first bomber. Think that you need to micro them a lot to make them properly, and still the oponent can dodge them microing, its a micro fight! Lol, and be sure that using the bomber you nerf your eco a lot, if you fail with it, you are out of the game.
Isen

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 9 times
FAF User Name: Isen_

Postby lebensnebel » 31 Aug 2011, 23:16

Also early bombers are now regularly used, I don't think they're very OP.
You also take quite a risk. Your engs can be sniped by labs easily.

It adds an interesting CHOICE in early game which can be countered and has some mindgames to it. This makes FA more interesting compared to one BO which is the best in all szenarios -> all people do the same stuff.
lebensnebel

Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 23 times
FAF User Name: lebensnebel

Postby Lu_Xun_17 » 31 Aug 2011, 23:18

true, and so more it permits fast attacks on small water maps. that's so more important when you fight an aeon or seraphim
Lu_Xun_17
Contributor

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 224 times
FAF User Name: LuXy

Postby FunkOff » 31 Aug 2011, 23:54

Hmm. Perhaps an ideal solution is -20 energy for a bomber radar, but the radar defaults to off (must be manually turned on) and give the air scout a free radar (with no energy cost). This will allow a bomber to perform its work solo, but also attach a significant cost (one extra pgen) for the convenience.

Please post if you agree to this change set.
FunkOff
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 43 times
FAF User Name: FakeOff

Postby lebensnebel » 01 Sep 2011, 00:04

Well that would require even more attention to successfully/optimaly use the bomber.
I think units that require an ability to be turned on/off during use for maximum effect are not really the SC/FA way to do it. Tedious micro is only necessary and allowed for eco farming (and ACU ofc) in supcom world :)
lebensnebel

Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 23 times
FAF User Name: lebensnebel

Postby Zock » 01 Sep 2011, 00:09

Imo just cut the radar range to half, scout gets the original one and gets cheaper.

Dont cut the drop rate, its already hard enough to drop twice. Its a nice feature and should stay possible, i saw it once in all the games i palyed and watched on faf, is that too mutch?
gg no re

ohh! what a pretty shining link! https://www.youtube.com/c/Zockyzock
Zock
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 173 times
Been liked: 397 times
FAF User Name: Zock

Next

Return to FA Balance Discussions