Resource Allocation Upgrade -> Energy/Mass Storage?

Post here any idea about current FA Balance.
REMINDER : This is NOT a community balance forum. The thread ideas won't be used in a patch.
Forum rules REMINDER : This is NOT a community balance forum. The thread ideas won't be used in a patch.

Resource Allocation Upgrade -> Energy/Mass Storage?

Postby Gowerly » 26 Sep 2011, 00:50

As described. Something to make the RAS more appealing: If you have it, you can always overcharge.

Preliminary numbers: same as 3x Energy Storage and 3x Mass Storage. It costs way more than that, but at least it will have perpetual bonuses. Whether it's only the first level, or whether the factions with 2 levels get 2 bonuses is optional.
Gowerly
Evaluator

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: Gowerly

Re: Resource Allocation Upgrade -> Energy/Mass Storage?

Postby FunkOff » 26 Sep 2011, 00:53

I think RAS is plenty appealing as it is. It's common for tech-rushers to get RAS and RAS 2 on those ACUs that have them.
FunkOff
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 43 times
FAF User Name: FakeOff

Postby Gowerly » 26 Sep 2011, 01:01

It is appealing, but the numbers show that it's simply nowhere near as efficient as standard mass and energy making buildings.
And the name does say "Resource Allocation System" so it would be good if it could allocate some resources ;)
Gowerly
Evaluator

Postby FunkOff » 26 Sep 2011, 01:03

It allocates all kinds of resources. It just not a "storage" allocation system.
FunkOff
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 43 times
FAF User Name: FakeOff

Postby Gowerly » 26 Sep 2011, 11:27

That's "generating" less so than "allocating".

Please note I'm not suggesting that this goes straight out to the public. I'm merely suggesting this is something to be tested. I have done the following myself since I suggested it:

- Made a mod where RAS gives the ACU some storage
- Tested on some maps where the ACU has the storage. Because it has the RAS upgrade, it doesn't have extra health, it still loses out to every experimental. It usually gets one, maybe two overcharge shots off. Obviously not enough to kill an ML from full health. However, if there's one with tiny bit of health left you can stand a chance against it (this is the same as simply randomly building storage around the map if you get RAS, which would also be effective. Note: this is an argument both for and against RAS Storage - Takes away the need to build random energy storage - You can just build random energy Storage!).
This would be different for the Nomads ACU, whereupon it might be able to win out, so maybe Nomads doesn't get that, but that's a different balance suggestion.

The main idea for this is for XvX games where a player has RAS but has lost their base. It gives them a chance to still contribute to a game with either offensive ACU or faster base reconstruction. Micro and sharing solves everything, but we don't have people on that level so much, so this would be an easier solution in my eyes.
Gowerly
Evaluator

Postby Unconsumeable » 26 Sep 2011, 18:24

not really against it, but its kinda negating the need for estores introduced in the 3603 patch?
its now viable to, say bomb the estores to gimp an aggressive ACU, which is a nice tactical thing to do even if I rarely (never) seen it. you can get RAS at t2 stage, as Aeon you can get both gun upgrades aswell (or range & radar), with included estorage this means you can OC prolly every 4 seconds without any backup structures (outranging a ML aswell).

wouldnt change alot imho, but then you could also just go back to the pre-3603 times where you dont need estores at all. it doesnt makes a difference until someone killed all your estores, at which point you are typically screwed anyway. If you want to play combomb, juts get a estore from your team or build one if you still got engies.
To me it doesnt adds much if you get estore with the RAS-upgrade, except making (lategame) estore snipe even less unlikely
Unconsumeable
Crusader

Postby Gowerly » 26 Sep 2011, 18:31

That was what I meant with micro and sharing. Your team could simpy give you storages if you have RAS, which is both a plus/minus for it (removes the need for your team to do that/removes an element of teamplay).
Aeon could indeed get both gun upgrades with some RAS, but it does leave it at a flimsy 11k HP, which isn't great at the t4 stage of the game.
Also, if they're spending that much on RAS at the t2 stage of the game they're going to be very far behind on units, RAS isn't cheap.

Again, the whole idea is really made moot by the idea that your team can just build you some energy storage, but it's there to make RAS appealing, as generally every other back or arm (UEF) upgrade is favoured.
Gowerly
Evaluator

Postby Unconsumeable » 26 Sep 2011, 18:50

Gowerly wrote:Again, the whole idea is really made moot by the idea that your team can just build you some energy storage, but it's there to make RAS appealing, as generally every other back or arm (UEF) upgrade is favoured.
really? lategame i prefer a nonvolatile income (RAS) over a Gun-Upgrade (and next a shield), and earlier I wouldnt use the ACU aggressively without range & double dps (making the supposed RAS storage useless)
Unconsumeable
Crusader

Postby Gowerly » 26 Sep 2011, 18:52

That's only on UEF, though.
For me, as it stands, if I want to be late game:
Cybran: Maser and Cloak
Seraphim: Double Nano Repair
Aeon: Double Shield

Mainly because if you get all your stuff destroyed, RAS is useless. This at least gives it some use for you late game.
Gowerly
Evaluator

Postby Unconsumeable » 26 Sep 2011, 19:10

Gowerly wrote:Mainly because if you get all your stuff destroyed, RAS is useless. This at least gives it some use for you late game.
you think some 1000E/s (for your team) is useless if you rebuild your base?
chances are it wont win you the game if the opponent raped your base, but overcharges wont do that either. A single t3 gunship will still kill you, that doesnt means RAS will need to add a flak to make it usefull.
if you want to play sACU for your allies then they can surely spare a estore. RAS is usefull, making it increasing estore wont do a thing 99,9% of all times, and to me it would devalue estores when your base is still alive.
Unconsumeable
Crusader

Return to FA Balance Discussions