Mex mass-bonus when build fab on mex

Post here any idea about current FA Balance.
REMINDER : This is NOT a community balance forum. The thread ideas won't be used in a patch.
Forum rules REMINDER : This is NOT a community balance forum. The thread ideas won't be used in a patch.

Mex mass-bonus when build fab on mex

Postby SunTzu » 05 Aug 2012, 17:24

Hi,

Is it possible to fix that bug when u build a fab direct on mex? voodoo tell me that the bonus was not -1,0 mass over time, it was only -0,1 mass or something. I think that was a good thing if that bonus really was a bonus ;)

Pls wright our comments..

Greez Zbinden

gl u hf at all

P.S: the t2 mass fab is nearly usless too i think.. pls make lower costs or something to that too

thnx for watching
SunTzu
Crusader

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: SirZbinden

Re: Mex mass-bonus when build fab on mex

Postby noobymcnoobcake » 20 Aug 2012, 03:09

The t2 fab is not useless at all. its FAR better mass for mass than a T3 one. The only time it is worse is in thermo games when ajacancy and space outweigh the far cheaper cost and efficiency. The only thing it could do with is a slight build time cost reduction
noobymcnoobcake
Evaluator

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 5 times

Postby Ghoti » 20 Aug 2012, 06:13

OH. Anaryl want to have that discussion now. T2 mass fabricators are still worth their cost!

Now first of all. No. I do not think T2 mass fabs are worth it if you build the power for them. My argument is that they are worth the cost if you don't consider their power consumption.

For comparison: http://www.faforever.com/faf/unitsDB/un ... 04,URB1106
A reminder, using mass storage adjacency next to a T2 Mex will get you 0.75 mass.

A mass fab needs 4000 power to be built (2500 more than a mass storage) and needs a further 15000 energy to produce enough mass to cover it's mass cost. Which it can cover in 1:40. That is a fair amount of power, and building the infrastructure for that isn't worth it, but show me a player that doesn't waste energy.

If you think you might waste more than 18000 energy (short of 4 OC's and a bit) then the only thing you have consider is the mass cost of the fabricator. Would you use 100 mass for a +1 gain? I'd take that! I'm spending 900 mass to get +4, and 200 mass to get +0.75!

You can make it even better.
Rather than drawing lines of power, I draw this grid using a template:
How2FabMass.png
How2FabMass.png (125.65 KiB) Viewed 2931 times

I just click on the mex's I think will be safe. If the game should come to it later, I'll upgrade my safe mex's to T2 and add mass storage. Which creates some nifty low hanging fruit. Mass fabricators built like this produce 1.25 mass, at 131 power, and they won't chain react.

They need 10480 energy to pay off their mass cost, a reduction of nearly 5000 power! All of this using infrastructure you were going to need anyway, using power you were going to waste anyway. So It's just gravy.

Of course you'll need a mass fab manager to shut the fab's off when you really do need the power. Want mine? Mines good! :)
Ghoti

FAF User Name: Ghoti

Postby noobymcnoobcake » 20 Aug 2012, 14:24

Also helps if you have mass fab manager that automatically turns them on/off ^^. Its a UI only mod.
noobymcnoobcake
Evaluator

Postby Ghoti » 23 Aug 2012, 14:42

Show me a person who doesn't build surplus.
Frankly in some cases it isn't even avoidable. Like for example, getting a T3 power gen online.

You're also comparing a short term gain of reclaiming power, for a long term gain of using surplus. Though maybe that has a point. Its also a point to remember that surplus actually has value.

If you need to overcharge, if you suddenly get reclaim, if you suddenly lose power, if you want to upgrade your ACU, if you need to transition to air, ect. ect. Not building excess means vulnerability right?
Ghoti

FAF User Name: Ghoti

Postby noobymcnoobcake » 26 Aug 2012, 15:21

Also sometimes when you switch your ASF production for gunships you will have a ton of excess power available for a min or so. In situations like this it is absolutely more efficient to have a few reserve t2 fabs available to soak up the excess power.
noobymcnoobcake
Evaluator

Return to FA Balance Discussions