Total changes since 3603 and balancing opinion

Post here any idea about current FA Balance.
REMINDER : This is NOT a community balance forum. The thread ideas won't be used in a patch.
Forum rules REMINDER : This is NOT a community balance forum. The thread ideas won't be used in a patch.

Total changes since 3603 and balancing opinion

Postby C14 » 31 Jul 2012, 15:01

Hi,
is there some chart where one can see what changed from one release to another (not only compared to the last one as in the log files)
like a diff in svn?
Particularly it would be interesting to see the unit stat diffs compared to the latest official FA versions 3599 or 3603,
at those are the versions new players who have played the campaign will have in mind.

My general view on the balancing in FAF is that it is done too aggressively.
Even with the big patch 3603, changes were more subtle compared to what is happening now.
Often stat values overshoot now and swing in some pendulum motion from release to release as they are overtweaked.
There are many examples, where in one release a value gets increased only to get decreased in the following release again.
This high fluctuation is bad for casual players who still have the original FA in mind and don't want to spend hours checking out the latest stats.
With every unit tweak that changes values compared to the old FA by over 50%, I think that you are more likely to introduce new imbalances than fix existing ones, plus you are making it harder for old casual FA gamers to find into the game.
C14

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: C14

Re: Total changes since 3603 and balancing opinion

Postby Ze_PilOt » 31 Jul 2012, 15:03

Yeah, no.

You should check your facts, none of your concern is true unless the unit was completely useless.
Nossa wrote:I've never played GPG or even heard of FA until FAF started blowing up.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 376 times
FAF User Name: Ze_PilOt

Postby Kryo » 31 Jul 2012, 15:05

I agree it would be good to see all changes in a comparable way, but I dont agree with the rest. I dont see so many overshoots or problems. Thats a regular balancing progress.
Kryo
Evaluator

FAF User Name: Kryo

Postby C14 » 31 Jul 2012, 15:12

suggestion for the first point:
What about making the online unit database http://www.faforever.com/faf/unitsDB/ browsable by game version as this one here for the original FA http://supcomdb.com/db/?
Of course, some comparison tools like selecting a base version and then diffs to that version being shown in parenthesis would be even better.

second point:
I am definitely not the only casual player thinking like this.
Where can I find the old release logs? Then I could provide some examples.
C14

Postby Ze_PilOt » 31 Jul 2012, 15:15

For the units, you can compare
http://supcomdb.com/db/
and
http://faforever.com/faf/unitsDB/

The things that changed a lot these 3 last patches was the buildtime of T3 navy.
ie. 45000 to 28800.
It's less than what was happening between 36599 and 3603 actually. And I think these values start to be good.
Nossa wrote:I've never played GPG or even heard of FA until FAF started blowing up.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Postby Ze_PilOt » 31 Jul 2012, 15:19

C14 wrote:suggestion for the first point:
What about making the online unit database http://www.faforever.com/faf/unitsDB/ browsable by game version as this one here for the original FA http://supcomdb.com/db/?
Of course, some comparison tools like selecting a base version and then diffs to that version being shown in parenthesis would be even better.

A lot of time to develop that, for something that will be used for like 5 persons. Won't happen.

C14 wrote:second point:

Thing is, if the changes are proven good, they will be done, whatever you think or like.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Postby C14 » 31 Jul 2012, 15:40

Ze_PilOt wrote:
C14 wrote:suggestion for the first point:

A lot of time to develop that, for something that will be used for like 5 persons. Won't happen.

I think a dropbox for the version is not too difficult to do and could simplify things for all new players, not only 5 persons.
I could do it, if you gave me the code for the current db.

Ze_PilOt wrote:
C14 wrote:second point:

Thing is, if the changes are proven good, they will be done, whatever you think or like.

I thought we could discuss this rationally respecting each others opinion.
But you are right, you can do what you want and ignore the part of the community that doesn't fit with your opinion.
C14

Postby Ze_PilOt » 31 Jul 2012, 15:42

C14 wrote:I think a dropbox for the version is not too difficult to do and could simplify things for all new players, not only 5 persons.

They are php based driven by a database. Dropbox wouldn't help.

C14 wrote:But you are right, you can do what you want and ignore the part of the community that doesn't fit with your opinion.

We can talk. But if a change is good, it's good.
A minority won't decide for a majority just because they are louder.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Postby C14 » 31 Jul 2012, 19:43

Ze_PilOt wrote:
C14 wrote:I think a dropbox for the version is not too difficult to do and could simplify things for all new players, not only 5 persons.

They are php based driven by a database. Dropbox wouldn't help.

I mean a dropbox to select the corresponding table from the database of course.
As I said, I could do it. Can you pm me a link to the resources?
For the database, the easiest would probably be to have different game version stats in different tables.

Ze_PilOt wrote:
C14 wrote:But you are right, you can do what you want and ignore the part of the community that doesn't fit with your opinion.

We can talk. But if a change is good, it's good.
A minority won't decide for a majority just because they are louder.

This is clear. Noone is against good changes.
But obviously not all changes have been good when they need to be corrected again in the opposite direction.
I argue for more care here as two small steps in the right direction are better than a large one that needs to be corrected again in the opposite direction.
Why? Because continuity and closeness to vanilla FA is important for new and casual players, which are probably underrepresented here on the forum.
Example: I bet that the Spearhead with a DPS factor of 2.5 compared to vanilla FA will get corrected down again soon.
Lets see ;)
C14

Postby Ze_PilOt » 31 Jul 2012, 19:51

A game like FA will have a lot of back and forth to be balanced.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Next

Return to FA Balance Discussions